Capsule Toys!

24Nathan

So in your dream Shenmue IV world...what capsule toys would you want? I was never a HUGE capsule toy fan, as I could never stay away from the story long enough to collect them all, especially in Shenmue I. I did get close in Shenmue IIx, and had a complete file with all items/capsule toys except for the Space Harrier certificate, which I never got! Unfortunately, that console got stolen a while back and that file is gone. But alas...

My dream would be that all of the capsules from I - III are in...SEGA and non SEGA. What new franchises (SEGA only) would you want to collect from?

I was never particularly into the capsule toys in the first two games, but I liked how they were implemented in 3 so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in 4. As for what kinds, I enjoyed the self-referential toys so I'd like to see at least a couple more Shenmue themed sets even if they're more subtle this time around. If they were putting in SEGA IPs I want them to throw in a bunch of Dreamcast era stuff like Crazy Taxi, Ready 2 Rumble, Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, and Samba de Amigo to kill us with nostalgia. A set that's just a bunch of tiny sega consoles/peripherals would be fun.

Capsule toys aren't a dealbreaker for me so I'd be happy with more sets of household items and a few Shenmue related characters/items though.

I liked that they served more of a purpose in 3, but the odds of getting the one rare one in each set were so low it was pretty frustrating. And then ultimately they just ended up being miniature versions of the myriad of useless non-prize items. Personally I'd like to see IV do away with the "other" type items and just have prizes and capsule toys.

I'm pretty sure many people would like to have yakuza capsules.

Personally, I would go for a dreamcast+ games like skies of arcadia and panzer dragoon

But, idealy :
I would like ys.net to put in capsukes as early-bird cameos for other games they are planing.
(Or have completed if we go farther along the saga.)

Skies and (more) Panzer capsule toys would be awesome! More Virtua Fighter ones as well, maybe a VF3 and VF4 set at least, saving VF5 (or VF and VF6?!) for a Shenmue V?

I personally hope they don't add capsules from the franchises they don't own since they have to PAY for them which makes Shenmue 4 a more risky project.

Why would they have to pay to add SEGA franchises? I mean, it makes sense, but it also wouldn't. Is there proof they paid to make Chobu Chan Fighter? Or included posters of Virtua Fighter and Space Harrier in the game, as well as a SEGA poster with Sonic on it?

Nothing about Shenmue III is normal...there are a TON of hands in the pot here. I wouldn't be surprised if once Ys Net paid to use the license (or maybe just negotiated for some of the profit from the game? we don't know...), SEGA was fine to allow them to use what they did for free.

Why would they have to pay to add SEGA franchises? I mean, it makes sense, but it also wouldn't. Is there proof they paid to make Chobu Chan Fighter? Or included posters of Virtua Fighter and Space Harrier in the game, as well as a SEGA poster with Sonic on it?

Nothing about Shenmue III is normal...there are a TON of hands in the pot here. I wouldn't be surprised if once Ys Net paid to use the license (or maybe just negotiated for some of the profit from the game? we don't know...), SEGA was fine to allow them to use what they did for free.
That's because it is called product placement. From what I know those will just damage the game in the long run.(Less chances for rereleases, more chances for getting removed from online stores)

Shenmue 1 and 2 took a lot of time to get released on today's consoles. One of the main reasons was due to product placements that they had.

I am aware of what product placement is, but Shenmue is still a SEGA licensed product, we don't know the details of what their deal is. To be fair, it may certainly be exactly what you're suggesting, but I don't think SEGA would charge him for including capsule toys. There was an old interview for Shenmue III where Cedric confirmed SEGA capsule toys would be included in Shenmue III. Now, whether the fact that that didn't happen (too much) was due to fees they wanted to charge or just time constraints on modeling everything and having to have it all approved by their respective creative studios, a la the SEGA All - Stars games, is anyone's guess. But we simply don't know for a fact.

I really liked the costing tiers of the capsule toys in Shenmue III. I'd like to see that continued in IV. I'd also love to see a return to the Sega toys, if financially viable. Jet Grind Radio and Panzer Dragoon would be personal picks. However, if it will cost too much, then I'm happy to stick with some of the more generic stuff we got in III. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, even though I love to collect them. What I would like to see is some bigger sets (think 8 was the highest in III), some with more than one rare toy in each machine. Although maybe don't go crazy on that one like the Sega world machine in Shenmue. That sucker had about 6 rare toys if I recall correctly.

I'd be cool if they had 5 machines and no trophies or necessary things in regards to it (like the past games). Sure, sell them for money, but that's it.

They're a pain in the ass TBH, when you make them a requirement or a necessity.

While I agree, trophies should be more merit/ability-based, rather than luck of the draw (as capsules are).

Back