Chai

No, they always called each other by last name in the Japanese voice track for S1. That’s why it’s clear that whoever translated the dialogue to English was not aware they called each other by first name in the English dub for S1

I stand corrected.

Maybe the Japanese dub is cannon though??

Didn’t YS Net contract a 3rd party to translate the Japanese script and subtitling to English? If they had no quality control measures, and I’m sure the employees who worked on this are probably not Shenmue fans like us - then there is major openings for botched scripting.
If they don’t know the material and YsNet didn’t bother to inform them about who does what it’s not really their fault, it’s up to the developers to tell the people handling the localization of who established characters are etc. At least I think it is.

I think it’s just more of a cultural thing- I’m sure he calls Ichiro, Noriko, Eri etc by their last names too if I recall correctly
Yeah, she also referred to "Sakurada" in one of the phone calls and I literally had to look it up afterwards. I knew that Naoyuki is Ito and Eri is Tajima, but I had forgotten (or maybe I never knew) what Ichiro and Noriko's last names were.

I guess Japanese students tend to refer to each other by their last names. Obviously, they can say that the Japanese script is canon if they want but whatever is presented in the games is what should be considered canon. Therefore it's canon that they call each other "Hazuki-kun" and "Harasaki" in Japanese, but it should be canon that they call each other "Ryo" and "Nozomi" in English (and in the English subtitles).

This is inconsistent even within the game. During the part of the game where you're looking for a photo of Yuan at the ferry terminal, you can look at a picture of a florist with some kids and Ryo says "Nozomi likes kids too." But there are some conversations you can have with Shenhua in which she is referred to as Harasaki again.

I'm not 100% sure but I think that in the Japanese dub, Chai's name is never mentioned before Shenmue 3. Chai refers to himself as 'ore sama' but doesn't specifically mention his name. The dub changes this to 'the great Chai'. Everyone else just calls him 'the creepy skinhead'.

Still, Ryo being completely nonchalant to seeing Chai was weird. I expected a night time conversation with Shenhua about it but it never happened. :/

Wow, Wesker, that is awesome. Make's the scene so much better and really harkens back to the original game. While I would have preferred a free battle against Chai, perhaps the fact that it only takes 3 QTE's to take him down represents that Ryo is now far stronger than he is.

After realizing they didn't bring back his music theme from the first game, I felt myself like attempting this fix to his final showdown scene in Bailu. It makes eons of difference to the scene for sure.

So much better and exactly what I was expecting from his appearances in the game! I wonder if there was some kind of licensing issue with Sega that stopped Ys Net from being able to use the music.

After realizing they didn't bring back his music theme from the first game, I felt myself like attempting this fix to his final showdown scene in Bailu. It makes eons of difference to the scene for sure.

You have just bumped Shenmue 3 up a bit. Great job

I was actually glad Chai was played off as a non threat in the game. I wondered if he'd get a full on boss fight, or be a danger to Ryo (who has improved since fighting him). But nope, one hit KOs.

That whole thing with Chai's room at the end though will haunt me forever...

The music thing could be either a licensing issue or tied to the fact of what has been said about Chai being a far inferior threat than he was in the first Shenmue, and therefore they felt his menacing theme of that game was no longer suiting the character and his scenes (or maybe both reasons at the same time). However, I feel they came up with a rather weak replacement theme, one that doesn't give any impact to his appearance and you can't even listen several times because of being drowned within dialogue and battle sounds, unlike Chai's theme which fits wonders to it and gives a far different feel to the scene.

If they didn't want to bring the Shenmue theme as it was, I would have come up with a solution in form of an alternative variation/remix of the theme with other hues, similar to what was done with "Earth and See" when you fight Dou Niu in Shenmue II, different to the classic Earth and Sea theme that you could hear while fighting the Mad Angels in the first game, but still similar in nature in order to keep consistency with the overall "final boss" theme of the series. They could have done the same with his, but instead we have this poor theme which doesn't do justice to Chai in my opinion, no matter if he's no longer the menace that was before.

I suppose I'll eventually do the same fix to the later Chai fight scene.

Last edited:
I was actually glad Chai was played off as a non threat in the game. I wondered if he'd get a full on boss fight, or be a danger to Ryo (who has improved since fighting him). But nope, one hit KOs.

I would tend to agree but at this point I would have taken the extra boss fight, considering we were promised 4, and only got two, and they were lame forgettable "thugs".

I can't believe we didn't fight Niao Sun, although at least she will have a continued presence in the story. I kinda figured she'd have a big role in 3 and be the big boss, as well, with later games focusing on other leaders/Lan Di. It would have sucked if she only got those two scenes and then was defeated by Ryo.

I would tend to agree but at this point I would have taken the extra boss fight, considering we were promised 4, and only got two, and they were lame forgettable "thugs".

I can't believe we didn't fight Niao Sun, although at least she will have a continued presence in the story. I kinda figured she'd have a big role in 3 and be the big boss, as well, with later games focusing on other leaders/Lan Di. It would have sucked if she only got those two scenes and then was defeated by Ryo.
Yu mentioned in an interview something along the lines of her being one of his favorite characters. That probably means she had some additional involvement that was unfortunately cut.

His family gave me a boner

What did I miss?
When searching for the Stone Mason's right before he jumps you again, there are three rooms. Far left is the chicken room. Far right is the stone masons. Middle is Chai's rooom... he's got a load of maps and notes about Ryo (following his movements from game to game) and then one picture of a woman and girl with fucked up mouths, presumably his wife and daughter... hurts just to think about it!

As for why Ryo not knowing Chai’s name, Chai is never referred to by name in the original Japanese version of Shenmue 1
This at least excuses that part- however you’d still expect Ryo to have more of a reaction (I thought he’d at least say ‘You again?!’ or something)

Back