Chicken catching...

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Elder Scrolls Online (PS4), Shenmue III (pc)
PSN
MixtheAndy
The mechanics of this is dreadful...

I am a huge Shenmue fan, like everyone on here. However I have been reduced to rage quitting the game on PC. The chicken catching QTEs are plain awful, 75% of the time there is no QTE button on screen and the odd time when they do appear they are literally on screen for a fraction of a second - allowing no reaction time (even on easy mode).
They either need to patch this to allow more time for the QTEs or ditch it altogether. Though I am going to assume neither will get done.

I know many many players have not encountered this, and good for them, but I also know from reading other forums and social media posts that many others have encountered this.

I have tried reducing the graphic settings to the lowest in case it was a problem with my PC - but it makes no difference.

So it deeply saddens me to uninstall the game due something so trivial as a QTE! something the original games had so perfect!

It was alright. I played on PS4 and passed it everytime without too many errors.

Yeah - I agree, I also played through it on PS4 and had no trouble with this on console. It seems to only impact PC.

Yeah - I agree, I also played through it on PS4 and had no trouble with this on console. It seems to only impact PC.
I'm yet to play on PC planning to do a 1-3 playthrough soon. I'll see if it's any different when I get there.

In the ps4 version if you fail the qte 3 times in a row it will slow down to an acceptable level so i found that its best just to guess on the first three attempts so you'll either get one right or you'll get the qte to become slower.

I've only played on PC. Never failed at catching chickens. Is this something that other people have reported having issues with? The QTE commands always appeared on screen for me.

I always had problems with them on PC aswell. There was literaly zero time to react. I could memorize the sequence, but that was only possible for the first time. The other days I had to mash random buttons like crazy and hope.

Then again I was flying through the game and skipping through the story with the debug menus, so I always blamed that to somehow cause this mess.

All QTEs in the game are horrible and too fast to react to them.

That sucks if you've encountered some kind of bug or something.

I oddly had no issue with this on the PS4. I did have issues with the other QTEs. The actual “gameplay” for this portion does feel a bit sloppy, though.

I did like the chicken catching. It's irritating at first but you're improving quickly and catching all at once turns out to be quite satisfying.

The free mini game in the second city is even better because you can earn easy money and the new scenery looks charming at clean weather.

That said, the other QTE phases were a pain, because precisely, there was absolutely no room for mistake.

A trick with chicken and duck catching is 90% of the time , if the duck is on your left, the qte button will be X, and if he is on your right, it will be B. If its dead center and Y is an option, it will be Y. PC is a do it yourself platform. You have to download drivers , update firmware, replace parts, etc. You should have expected issues. Nobody learned anything after Arkham Knight? All the broken Assassins Creed PC launches? I played the SM3 Kickstarter demo, 40% of the time it crashed abruptly. No way was I playing Shenmue III on PC .

Last edited:
I had no issues chicken catching on PS4 on hard. On nightmare? I raged like you wouldn't believe...threw the controller and broke my TB. Lowered the difficulty and it was fine.

I didn't experience those issues, except the lack of reaction time but I had that problem with basically every QTE in the game. It just felt off. I thought the chicken catch was outright boring.

Does this game allow us to replace game save files? If so, could anybody share a (PC) game save file with me that is just after all of the chicken catching scenes!?
Apologies mods if this is breaking any site rules, please remove this post if it does

Last edited:
Does this game allow us to replace game save files? If so, could anybody share a game save file with me that is after all of the chicken catching scenes!?
Apologies mods if this is breaking any site rules, please remove this post if it does
Nah it's fine.

Does this game allow us to replace game save files? If so, could anybody share a (PC) game save file with me that is just after all of the chicken catching scenes!?

Forgot to add, the save file location is: C:\Users\*YOURUSERNAME*\AppData\Local\Shenmue3\Saved\SaveGames

Or, if I could send someone - that didn't encounter any issues - my save file which is right at the chicken catching bit, they could do the QTEs for me and send me the file back! That would be amazing.

So they actually increaed the dififculty on the QTE's depending on the Difficulty mode?! That's pretty infuriating :p I'm terrible at most games which require opin point accuracy so I doubt I'll try the higher difficulty if it's just going to annoy me.

You can do the chicken catching on Nightmare difficulty, you just have to change your approach. On Nightmare mode, instead of relying on fast reactions, rely on pattern recognition. Constantly throughout nightmare chicken catching sequences, if you catch a slow chicken with circle button (or B button) the next chicken will also be Circle/B button but be so fast you couldn't possibly react fast enough to catch it. So after catching the first chicken just pre-press circle/B because there's no way you are reacting that fast. The only button that doest follow this pattern often is triangle/Y button. In the few instances when triangle/Y button does repeat, its triangle , triangle , triangle. Normally in most instances, circle,circle,circle= pattern 1 , pattern 2 is square square, pattern 3 is x,x , and Triangle doesnt repeat and is just a wild card.

Back