Chinese S3 launch might be buried by the Political uprising happening in CH/HK atm...

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Not trying to make a political thread, but I'm speculating the current climate may affect release/sales exposure over in CH/HK/Taiwan.

Not too sure where to put this so please move where ever you think it fits mods.

Should we be worried?

Mod Edit: Thread title updated to clarify OP is referring to the Chinese launch and not the Worldwide launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
China's pretty much out of the equation right now anyway, as I explained in my reply to this thread:

Fascinating topic, but I don't think the climate there will really affect sales. The gaming community is still thriving just fine.

The biggest issue faced with gamers right now are the tariffs imposed, with increases on the horizon a couple of times. How that could affect backer reward fulfillment is up in the air, depending on where they are coming from.

There's a very real possibility of price increases for games and consoles in the future, particularly next gen.

I'm wrapping up my final week in retail(found a great job that let's me have my weekends back), but I can tell you they are killing many stores in the background, especially if they are increased.

I know my reply in that other thread is quite long, but I do recommend reading it to understand what's going on in China's games industry at the moment and how it affects Shenmue III. I had no idea until discussing it with a fan living there.

I will just say 2 things.

1. I 100% support the Chinese/Taiwanese protestors and i think their plight is more important than the sales of any video game, even Shenmue 3.

2. Regarding media in China, the censorship situation is really fucked and ive felt that it was concerning for quite a while. (Even moreso with the banning of any deaths shown in games, any type of blood, fake (green) or otherwise and even the banning of fictionalized seige stories or political storiea ) For example, the very first cutscene in Shenmue 1 would not be allowed uncensored under such rules.

China's pretty much out of the equation right now anyway, as I explained in my reply to this thread:

I'm from China. Actually, we have a large number of console players (mainly on PS4). Hell, I could say the PS4 forums here are more popular than PS4 boards of Gamefaqs. Just to clarify, we just don't buy games officially released in China, because I can say that 99% of Chinese players registered their Playstation account in Hong Kong region, which means if we want to buy games that support Chinese, we could buy them directly from Hong Kong Playstation Store since they support Alipay & Chinese credit cards. Playstation Hong Kong also promote their games & discounts on Chinese social media like Weibo & WeChat. As for the physical version, we buy games imported from Hong Kong. On Taobao (approximately equal to China's Amazon), there are many retailers sell games imported from Hong Kong, and this kind of behavior is actually allowed by the government. Games like Monster Hunter: World could sell like 100,000 copies+ per month here last year on Taobao.That's the reason why so many games still support Simplified Chinese (like Shenmue 1&2 localized by Sega Europe which is unreleased in China) and its voiceovers even they're not released in mainland China. It is a grey market but huge enough for developers to support Chinese in their games. But I guess the sales data will be attributed to the Hong Kong market. So... relasing games in China is more like a symbolic act delivered from Sony China to let people know they are still there.
As for Epic Games Store, the reason why Chinese players hate it is that the government didn't block Epic but Epic CHOSE to block us. They claim that their employees in China may be threatened if they let Chinese people buy their games. But if that's the case, why Uplay from Ubisoft is opened in China and let us buy their games with Chinese currency? Are Ubisoft employees from Ubisoft Shanghai & Ubisoft Chengdu threatened? No. Epic used a convenient reason so that WeGame's sales performance will not be affected in China. Still, they somehow unblocked us about 4 months ago, but Epic's still get hated in China, and that's part of the reason why Shenmue 3 also get hated here. News you can get about Shenmue 3 from Chinese gaming medias are mostly negative.

Last edited:
Thank you CrazyBob for shedding some light on the Situation in China. As far as I know, Shenmue 3 is sold by WeGame and Oasis games in Mainland China so maybe Epic will not be a big problem. What do you think?

Will you buy the Mainland Version of Shenmue 3 or Hongkong Version?

Chinese tanks Tokyo drift through Chinese protesters, killing hundreds Shenmue fan: couldn't you fucks have waited until after Shenmue 3 was released?!? Now there are less people to buy the game!

Disinformation is blinding...question everything...sometimes the difference between a hero and a villain is the news source...and probably won’t effect Shenmue III in the real world...

Thank you CrazyBob for shedding some light on the Situation in China. As far as I know, Shenmue 3 is sold by WeGame and Oasis games in Mainland China so maybe Epic will not be a big problem. What do you think?

Will you buy the Mainland Version of Shenmue 3 or Hongkong Version?
I don't know. Shenmue 3 involves in the Chinese mafia so I'm not sure if the game will be censored or just get rejected by the Chinese government. The release date for the Mainland version is still set at later 2019 (no specific date like 19 November) and I hope they can make it.

I will buy the Hong Kong version for sure. I have a Hong Kong PSN account which is my main PSN account. Plus, Oasis Games will also responsible for the publishing of the game in Hong Kong.

Last edited:
Back