Choubu ---> Niaowu

Peter

Administrator
So, with the recent coverage from journalists getting more and more Shenmue 3 information, we have seen a few times that a location called "Niaowu" has been mentioned. This has begun to cause some confusion, so I reached out to Esra KRabbe for some extra information. A super friendly guy, he has been able to clear up a few things, which I will explain as best I can. But all credit goes to him for this.

So basically, its assumed that Choubu was always going to be called Niaowu from the beginning. The reason for this is because Baisha and Bailu are both pronunciations of the characters in native Chinese, and Choubu is not. Choubu is the Japanese pronunciation of Niaowu. The reason why Choubu is the only one of the three being written in its Japanese pronunciation, is probably because its a fictional town, and the developers didn't know how to write it down in Chinese.

When speaking to Yu-san in Japanese, he will use the name "Choubu", but when it comes to the actual localization, it will be Niaowu. It would be very weird if it would be called Choubu, as no other Chinese locations or characters have had Japanese pronunciation so far in Shenmue.

Another thing to note, is that in the English voice recordings, the director says that all Chinese words will be spoken according to Chinese pronunciation:

Now that the western media is starting to promote the game, its probably the case that they have been told to use the native "Niaowu", for example, in the EDGE article.

One final fun fact from Esra, is that "Niaowu" might be something you recognize, if you remove the last 2 letter from the name...

Niao in Niaowu, is the same Niao that's in Niaosun. "Niao" means bird, and "Wu" means "dance", so combining the two together, gives you "Bird Dance". Sound familiar?

"Hotel Bird Dance" ;)

Ah, so Chobu is the On reading of the kanji/hanzi of Nioawu. That makes a lot of sense actually.

The only weird thing about this is the signage above the shoe store here:

20180816-s3_screenshodpjoq.jpg

But I could certainly buy a renaming since this shot was generated last August.

I'm guessing the translation company
translated Kanji characters to Chinese Mandarin for subtitles etc, since the game is set in China after all, whereas signage etc were probably done earlier by the game devs at YsNet, hence the discrepancy.

Btw Niao Sun also used to be called Chojun in early Shenmue material.

Confirmed my theory, then! Sweet. It didn't really make sense what with Bailu following Chinese pronounciation. I like that Niao features strongly, excited to finally see the village and meet that boss!

Is it 鸟屋 or 鸟舞 that they will use for the village? The latter being bird dance the former bird house (they are pronounced similar, just a different tone on the u). Anywho, good summary.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion man; and my mind is also blown about the Chojun/Niao Sun thing!

I'm liking the name Niaowu more than Choubu because of the Niao Sun boss of the Chiyoumen she's the character I'm most looking forward to see in Shenmue 3 and how she will be.

Confirmed my theory, then! Sweet. It didn't really make sense what with Bailu following Chinese pronounciation. I like that Niao features strongly, excited to finally see the village and meet that boss!

Is it 鸟屋 or 鸟舞 that they will use for the village? The latter being bird dance the former bird house (they are pronounced similar, just a different tone on the u). Anywho, good summary.
I'm pretty sure it will still be 鸟舞

Actually Niao Sun (鸟隼)had a few alternate names, Chojun or even Chouzhun as per this image:

p.s. 隼 is Chinese for "Falcon", which makes sense as she's associated with the Phoenix of the Four Heavenly Beasts and has a cruel personality.

Last edited:
Didn't Lan Di have a different name in the Japanese concept as well? I mean wasn't he called Soryuu or something to that accord. Man I might have to dig old interviews up again.:oops:
Yeah Lan Di had another name, 苍龙 (Blue Dragon) which is Cang Long or Soryuu. I believe the S1 Dreamcast manuals had that in the character section.

I'm pretty sure it will still be 鸟舞

Actually Niao Sun (鸟隼)had a few alternate names, Chojun or even Chouzhun as per this image:

View attachment 2371

p.s. 隼 is Chinese for "Falcon", which makes sense as she's associated with the Phoenix of the Four Heavenly Beasts and has a cruel personality.
I really hope Niao Sun's in-game model is as close to this as possible:

latest

In the renders of her, she looks too pedestrian and dull. The above image, however, does a really good job of capturing the mix between her beauty and the potential to be fucking dangerous.

Back