Combat System - Bullet Time Dodge

It's been suggested that I make my own thread about this. Basically I accidentally executed some sort of "special" counter that results in the camera swinging round and going into slow motion (it also felt like the combat after was slowed for a little bit, although I'm not entirely sure if I imagined that). When this first happened I wasn't recording and wasn't entirely sure what move had triggered it (I thought it was a standard elbow assault). After a couple of hours of trying to replicate it I finally decided to try the counter elbow assault instead and managed to do it again. I'm still not entirely sure how it's triggered; whether or not you need to have a certain attack lvl etc, but it seems to be partly based on tight timing/positioning as both times I have executed it were times where I was in close proximity to the opponent and countered just after/during their attack sequence. I also had all moves lvl'd to max and my attack lvl at 6 and both times were against gold tiger (maybe relevant?). Anyway it seems interesting, hoping other people can replicate it and maybe learn if any other moves produce similar effects.

UPDATE - Thanks to some clever people here we've now discovered this is actually a mechanic that activates when your health is <= 3hp and you dodge an attack at close range with your guard down. You can perform any move after the "bullet time dodge" for a guaranteed counter (although I did find that you can still get hit during your attack animation).

Last edited:
This is great. I have levelled all 5 scrolls to max and trained so my Attack was at 6 with a Kung Fu Rank of 11. I have never pulled off anything like this with the normal Elbow Assault and I've tried a few times. This must be something to do with the Counter Elbow Assault. I assume because you dodged and hit him in the back with a counter it did this. Pretty cool if that's the case. Would be curious to see if other moves have this effect.

Maybe your low health could also factor in? Last a "last ditch attempt" sort of thing for extra damage?

It at least looks like it was triggered through a combination of positioning and timing but it's hard to know for sure! I guess it could also be level-gated. Great that stuff like this is in there though.

Maybe it's something to with the side step? Maybe if you time a side step with a move correctly then this is the result?

Curious none the less.

It's a damn good find that I've yet to see in any of my play throughs!

I'm still not sure how the side step works entirely. I know it's double flick left or right on stick, but yeah, the timing throws me. So maybe this is a window of opportunity thing with the side step?

I'm honestly not sure. I wish I had recorded the first time I did it as I'm pretty sure I was more head on to the opponent in that instance but I'm not 100%. It's possible it has something to do with health but again I wasn't recording the first one and I can't remember if I had low health or not. I don't think I did though; the only reason my health was low in this time around is that I was ko'd previously and had run out of food so this was a last ditch attempt at it. I'll try and make another attempt later on.

Do you remember if you brought anything from the Tao store?

Was wondering could it possibly be something you ate if recharging health before the fight? (Long shot but maybe something to do with the perks of a food item or something?)

From the store I bought the 2 move scrolls (which I max lvl'd) and about 100 garlic lol. I doubt the garlic has special properties but you never know.

From the store I bought the 2 move scrolls (which I max lvl'd) and about 100 garlic lol. I doubt the garlic has special properties but you never know.

Fair enough, I was curious because I remember in the interview I translated that Yu mentioned he wanted to do more with food properties but couldn't...was curious if that had changed.

Anyways, will let you know if it happens to me next time I play the demo (which will probably be tonight when I get home)

Fair enough, I was curious because I remember in the interview I translated that Yu mentioned he wanted to do more with food properties but couldn't...was curious if that had changed.

Anyways, will let you know if it happens to me next time I play the demo (which will probably be tonight when I get home)

Yeah I've wondered what effect, if any, some of the items in the store might have. Can you consume the alcohol etc? Haven't tried buying anything other than food and the scrolls so far.

Yeah I've wondered what effect, if any, some of the items in the store might have. Can you consume the alcohol etc? Haven't tried buying anything other than food and the scrolls so far.

I've only bought food and move scrolls...haven't tried anything else.

Can you use items in fights? I seem to remember the first screen shot ever released of the fighting system had a bottle icon next to the health meter...so it makes me wonder what that is all about? But I've yet to see it in the demo.

5E8EECDE-E2C1-43A2-9A22-4E46B05F5572.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you use items in fights? I seem to remember the first screen shot ever released of the fighting system had a bottle icon next to the health meter...so it makes me wonder what that is all about? But I've yet to see it in the demo.

Yeah you can use the snake tonic to restore health but you can't use it in the martial hall fights. I would assume you can use them against the bookie but I haven't tried it.

giphy.gif

so cool !

Managed to execute 2 more, probably took about 20 minutes so I'm not very consistent yet, maybe someone with faster reactions would have more luck. I did try to execute it against the other opponents but I couldn't get it to work, it seems gold tiger has this one specific combo that is easier for me to time/dodge. Made a slightly higher quality video this time -

Managed to execute 2 more, probably took about 20 minutes so I'm not very consistent yet, maybe someone with faster reactions would have more luck. I did try to execute it against the other opponents but I couldn't get it to work, it seems gold tiger has this one specific combo that is easier for me to time/dodge. Made a slightly higher quality video this time -

All three times you've done this your health has been yellow or below. Not sure if that causes it though. Gold Tiger can fuck you up fast so it's difficult to keep green health for long when trying to hit these.

Can I ask, if the move is exclusive to Gold Tiger though? All the videos seem to appear to be. I have fought him a few times, but haven't executed it once so I am unsure of the mechanics.

If it helps, I also used Lemons time freeze and maxed out the attack, endurance, and Kung Fu to the absolute max the demo allows them to go (more on this in an analysis post later), and still didn't get any triggers.

All three times you've done this your health has been yellow or below. Not sure if that causes it though. Gold Tiger can fuck you up fast so it's difficult to keep green health for long when trying to hit these.

It's yellow because I had been ko'd previously and no longer had food so I was starting each battle with 3 health (couldn't be bothered to farm herbs for food). I really don't think the health has anything to do with it though, it doesn't seem like it would be much of a help to somebody with low health when it requires such a precise dodge to execute. If I get time I'll farm herbs and attempt it again with green health just to be sure though.

Can I ask, if the move is exclusive to Gold Tiger though? All the videos seem to appear to be. I have fought him a few times, but haven't executed it once so I am unsure of the mechanics.

If it helps, I also used Lemons time freeze and maxed out the attack, endurance, and Kung Fu to the absolute max the demo allows them to go (more on this in an analysis post later), and still didn't get any triggers.

Not sure. I did try to execute it on the others but I wasn't able to time any of their combos as easily as I can with this specific one (all 3 successful attempts occurred after dodging the same combo as it seems to be the only one I can dodge somewhat consistently while maintaining a very close proximity; which I'm assuming it necessary).

I enjoy learning about this stuff and to be honest, I haven't went as in depth into the fighting system as I should have yet.

So L Trigger brings up Ryo's guard, which has a meter. I've gotten that, but you mention a dodge function? Have I completely missed this, how is that executed?

Double-tapping the analogue stick in a direction performs a dodge/evade of sorts. Feels pretty good to pull off but my thumbs aren't the most spritely and I don't feel too good at it yet. Can't wait to practise some more.

Back