Combat System with... The joystick...

den

Hello everyone.

First of all, sorry by advance about somes english mistake a i can make.

I've maybe 5 or 6 hours and i love Shenmue 3 for now, but there's something that is incomprehensible to me. Why we can fight with the D-pad ?!

I mean every 3D fighting play with the D-Pad ( and joystick ) but because of the nature of the D-pad it's more precise than the joystick to move on a 3D space, move aroud opponent, so why we can't have the choice about that ?

I really hope YS Net will add this option because even if the combat system are honestly not very good and clunky play with joystcik emphasize this impricision for now...

What are you thinking guys about that ?

Dodging would definitely be easier by double-tapping the d-pad rather than "double-pushing" the analogue stick (though I still think there should be a dedicated dodge button).

Yeah, i mean i dont have any problem with the attack buttons but dodging with the stick feels really imprecise.
And it justs not a good feeling with the controller, maybe it sounds dumb but it really makes my thumb tired
with all the normal movement + double tapping

Dodging would definitely be easier by double-tapping the d-pad rather than "double-pushing" the analogue stick (though I still think there should be a dedicated dodge button).
I'd agree with this but have also noticed that you do not have to double tap the stick. If you are not moving, you just do 1 swift tap in the direction and it will dodge. I'm generally not moving while attacking so it works well.

I posted in the backer trial thread, but also found out that dodge has it's own button on PC (space bar), so I was even playing with 1 hand on keyboard (moving with wasd, thumb on space), and right hand on controller :p which strangely works great. Originally, I was going to use DS4 for windows, to map a button on the PS4 pad to Spacebar, so that I'd have a dedicate dodge button which would be awesome. I haven't done it yet (as I've got used to the combat now), but once I've finished the game I'm going to give it a whirl for the second playthrough.

Back