Completion Rates

I was watching the below video and coupled with what I've already heard was still surprised that completion rates are so low,especially for highly rated single player games. This generation, I've purchased Project Cars, Grip, Moving Out and Monster Hunter and played those for not very long before quitting. With that said, the overwhelming majority of games I see through.

My brother is one of those who will have many games stacked up that he needs to complete. I think he only completed GTA V last year and this was a game he got on the original launch.

How do you go about completing games and do you tend to finish most of them?

I'm generally pretty good with completing most stuff I play. Or I at least complete the story of most story based games.

If I like the game enough then I'll try to go for the platinum. If I don't like it all that much then I won't bother.

But there have been some games that I just haven't been bothered to finish. Horizon Zero Dawn I never finished simply because Persona 5 came out around the same time and pulled me away from it and I never got back to it. I didn't finish Red Dead Redemption 2...not because I didn't like it rather I just never got back to it to finish it. I think I was 3 quarters of the way through though.

I don't know, most stuff I at least tend to see the story through. A lot of first party Sony stuff I tend to platinum just because they're usually pretty easy to platinum.

As a kid, only getting a couple games a year if I was lucky, I had to make the most of them and tended to finish most, though I was still terrible at a lot of them, especially platformers. I didn’t actually manage to finish one until Donkey Kong 64 and Ocarina of Time was my first I did without my older brother’s help.

Things got better when I finally got my first job at 16. Though at the same time, I also expanded my library quite a bit as well. That and I made some friends who would mostly spend time playing multiplayer which cut into single player stuff. I was unemployed for around 5 years after that which was obviously no good financially but helped to get through more games.

These days, between work and friends and family and other hobbies, I try to make the most of my free time with games I know I’ll like and drop ones which don’t turn out so well. And me being the anti social autist I am, I can imagine it’s much harder for many people who only play games more casually anyway and only bother with a few a year, and those may tend to be multiplayer games too. I tend to stick to games that are far longer or require more investment.

This year I’m trying to buy less games to offset my overspending a bit and it’s already kinda rocky but here’s hoping. At least I finished one so far within the first couple weeks.

The majority of my games are completed and well-over 2/3 of them are beaten; since the beginning of 2019, I've only purchased about 15-20 games or so and I've completed at least half of them:

- ShellShock (Saturn)
- Vatlva (Saturn)
- Suiko Enbu (Saturn)
- Tenchi wo Kurau II (Saturn)
- Sega Touring Car Championship (Saturn)
- Sega Rally (Saturn)
- Super League (Genesis)
- Gale Racer (Saturn)
- Ryu ga Gotoku 7 (PS4)
- 'mue III (PS4)
- Bonanza Bros. (SMS)

The ones I didn't beat were 4 Genesis, 1 Dreamcast, 1 Saturn and I think 3 GameGear titles (which I haven't played at all, sadly).

I've always been one to stick it out and play games to the end, thus when I start one, I tend to finish it (wrote about this in the other thread). Rarely will I start a game and then leave it lying it around, but I have a few to clean up, before tackling the rest of my backlog.

Completing in the sense of playing through the game at least once, yes I do that for most of the games I buy. Don't care about trophies and stuff like that, though.

Back