Could Shenmue finish with DLC?

So I was thinking... if Shenmue 4 ends up being too much of a financial risk - could the story be completed with multiple DLC packs?

Rather than trying to attract new players, which at this stage is extremely difficult, why not serve the fans who have already invested in Shenmue 3?

We've already demonstrated our ability to invest in and support Shenmue on a massive level. Surely this would be the most cost effective and profitable way of concluding the franchise.

So, could this work and would people be happy with this - especially if it promised the eventual conclusion of the Shenmue saga?

So I was thinking... if Shenmue 4 ends up being too much of a financial risk - could the story be completed with multiple DLC packs?

Rather than trying to attract new players, which at this stage is extremely difficult, why not serve the fans who have already invested in Shenmue 3?

We've already demonstrated our ability to invest in and support Shenmue on a massive level. Surely this would be the most cost effective and profitable way of concluding the franchise.

So, could this work and would people be happy with this - especially if it promised the eventual conclusion of the Shenmue saga?
If it were a 100% promise of the series concluding yeah I'd be down for it. From a financial standpoint for the developers it could equal greater revenue.

On the flipside I do wonder how many people would resent having to buy multiple DLC packs. There's a undercurrent in the media atm going after DLC/episodic approaches and this might feed into that.

As I said in another thread

A possible solution, while also bringing Sega to the table, would be episodic releases.

I think it will be easy to realise that there's an audience with a bit of money in the pocket, but no mass appeal. Só the strategy should be selling the game to the core audience as many times as possible. Maybe even with a bit of dlc or micro transactions.

From my little understanding of the whole chapters situation, I think 1 chapter=1 location. So, with Sega's funding, build a location, Yu can go wild with every bit of filler he wants, maybe it would even be required, incorporate everything about that location, and then sell it for 30$.

Use the same engine, pump out maybe one chapter a year, sell it to your loyal fan Base and finish the story.

It’s an idea!
Doesn’t Life is Strange do this?

It’s an idea!
Doesn’t Life is Strange do this?

no they dont. They just release mostly digitally and their original intent is to break up their games in episodic format. Thats not the same thing.

Besides, Life is Strange 2 is a completely different game than Life is Strange 1.

I would possibly be open to the idea if it was literally the only option. If it was done similar to how Hitman released episodic content ( 2 new stages) I think it could be possible. At the very least I would hope we get a new area.

Back