Could Shenmue III be another Mighty No. 9?

NO.

Shenmue 3, whether it sells or not, will be already a release success (compared to Mighty No 9) because all ports will be accounted for (more likely than not with only PC and PS4 being promised), which still up to date it's not the case for Mighty No 9 (failed to deliver Vita and 3DS versions). Inafune's mistakes boils down basically to two problems: promising 10 simultaneous ports of the game, and trying to create an online multiplayer component to which Inti games had no experience whatsoever. For all these things, Inafune didn't take into account he had only about 60% of that crowdfunding money after discounting fees and physical rewards according to reports. For perspective, Inafune didn't even have enough money to fulfill all the promised physical rewards way until his company was bought over by Level 5.
So even if Shenmue 3 fails, it will not be because of any similarity to what happened to Mighty No 9, as so far Shenmue 3 delays don't appear to be because of lack of sufficient funding for both versions of the game or implementation of online mechanics.

Fans of Mega Man games watching new gameplay footage of Mighty no9: "This looks like ass"
Shenmue fans watching gameplay footage of Shenmue III "Wow, this looks amazing"

I think that's all that is needed to be said. The fans want this and like what they are seeing. Mighty no9 fans did not.

Even if it flops in review scores, the Shenmue-fans will probably be happy with it

This was my real issue. Honestly, the game itself looks fun to me (never played it because was waiting on the Vita version...), but what really soured me on the whole thing is:

• Trying to raise additional funds for a children's cartoon no one wanted before the game was released
  • Starting the Red Ash kickstarter before they had even delivered MN9
  • All the drama and banning on the official forums

Not to mention M#9 had a second Kick-starter to boost funds for VO and bonus contents mid-development.

"On July 6, 2014, there was another crowd funding campaign for bonus content. The first stretch goal is to raise $200,000 for full English voice acting in the game. On October 30, 2014, Comcept asked via their kickstarter page for an additional $198,000 to complete a DLC stage introducing Beck's rival: Ray. "

The optics were quite foreboding.

This was my real issue. Honestly, the game itself looks fun to me (never played it because was waiting on the Vita version...), but what really soured me on the whole thing is:

• Trying to raise additional funds for a children's cartoon no one wanted before the game was released
  • Starting the Red Ash kickstarter before they had even delivered MN9
  • All the drama and banning on the official forums

You didn't miss out--i's a very bland game. Mighty Gunvolt is for all intents and purposes what the game should have been, and I highly recommend that.

I would say we already know that Shenmue III is well beyond the threat of being the next MN9. Although I agree that these controversies only hurt it. Deep Silver doesn't appear to be a very tactful publisher.

Inti create was task with a burden of accomplishing Inafune's crazy ambitions he layed out on kick-starter as promises as well. The hype and challenge prolly blinded them till it was time to put the talent to the grind and they found out too late+Money was running out so they pretty much just applied band-aids to the project and shipped it to print.

Yu has curated his team very closely so I doubt game quality will even be an issue.

I don't think so at all.

People comparing Shenmue 3 to Mighty No.9 in the first place have some sort of agenda against wanting the game to fail. Mighty No. 9 wasn't that important to begin with but Shenmue 3 needed to happen.

Shenmue 3 will not fail. It already has enough costs covered to make up for the low sales it'll presumably make thanks to Epic, Sony and Deep Silver.

Also the most important fact, most of the fans love Shenmue 3. It is a success in that regard.

Yeah, the Mighty No. 9 comparisons are very reaching and desperate.

In the end, we have to take into account that crowdfunding in general is still a young thing despite being nearly a decade old. Mighty No 9 messed up in a lot of things and Shenmue did learn from some of that, and undeniably it made its mistakes along the way but those mistakes are helping making crowdfunding better for future projects. In the end, Shenmue was a game that was 20 years concieved and Mighty No 9 wasn’t. Suzuki ALWAYS had a clear vision of Shenmue and has previous games and 20 years of open world games to reference to make the game he wants it to be.

This again? It might be but only in the eyes of outsiders who never got the point of Shen 3 in the first place.

Back