Will VS mode be added in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
I HIGHLY doubt we'd ever get an online co-op vs mode and play against other players (god I wish)...but what are the chances of Shenmue 3 getting a SINGLE player vs mode added the way Shenmue 2 did? I mean we fight against other characters from the game. Theres such a huge amount of fighters in this game and even some have very specific fighting styles (theres even a guy in Rose Garden who uses Muy Thai for example). Plus with the new DLC we can see that characters like Ren and Wei Zhen have their own named move sets.

From these factors alone I feel like the dev team have been setting up the foundation for a possible vs mode. Hell maybe we can even choose other characters to use besides Ryo like in the current DLC.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:
I’d have loved to have seen BR being coop either online or locally, but feel like adding that kind of functionality is a big ask and the time it would take would probably be better used elsewhere.

Online leaderboards for the BR scores might be realistic, although in this day and age online rankings tend to be plagued by hackers and so they would be rendered useless fairly quickly. I suppose the dev team could go through and moderate scores, but this is again more time wasted.

I’d have loved to have seen BR being coop either online or locally, but feel like adding that kind of functionality is a big ask and the time it would take would probably be better used elsewhere.

Online leaderboards for the BR scores might be realistic, although in this day and age online rankings tend to be plagued by hackers and so they would be rendered useless fairly quickly. I suppose the dev team could go through and moderate scores, but this is again more time wasted.
I meant what were the chances of a single player vs mode being added (player vs computer) not an online vs mode (I wish)

I meant what were the chances of a single player vs mode being added (player vs computer) not an online vs mode (I wish)
Ahh. I see. To be honest, that’s kind of what I had imagined /wanted battle rally to be (only with some additional fighters).

I wouldn’t be overly enthusiastic about them giving us a vs mode with the fighters already in the game as they can all be fought at their respective dojo’s or at the Rose Garden. Adding the mode would make things a little more convenient, but it’s fairly straightforward to initiate these battles as it is.

I guess letting you choose who you fight at each venue once you’ve beat everyone might be nice and should be fairly straightforward to implement, but I doubt they will do it.

Not what Shenmue is about so no. Anything like that would be a totally separate project (Think: Resident Evil and the RE Mercenaries side games).

Shenmue Online bits and pieces are probably still knocking around somewhere. Likely this may be a springboard to a multiplayer concept. But I doubt it'll be any time soon....

I want all of YS Net's limited resources focused on making Shenmue IV and a possible Shenmue V.

I am sure they are looking at how much money they are making from this DLC to see if it helped them financially to create the DLCs and if they should make DLC for future games, or if they should have just moved on without it.

Back