Death Stranding Excitment?

So..

With all the Shenmue 3 vs Death Stranding release date subject asside...
Still don't now if I'm gonna buy it, but damn it looks interresting. Specially the traversal.
The story/lore also seems to be quite interresting.

Hopefully the story and main character performance will go beyond the MGSV wich was the worst in the franschise sory wise.
And also hopefully reviewers wont ride on the Kojima name alone to much.

Who is actually excited to play Death Stranding here?

I'm a massive fan of Metal Gear 1-4, and was super hyped for 5 after Ground Zeroes. I love the stories that are told through his games, and was expecting MGS5 to be the same. However, the story took the backseat and was pretty much unfinished (now we know why).

I haven't looked too much into Death Stranding, as I want to go into that kind of game as blind as possible, but it's a Kojima game, so I expect that the level of storytelling will match his other games and be extremely thought provoking. Usually, I would be a day 1 buyer, however, with Shenmue 3 coming out 11 days later, I don't know if I will play it.

My main concern here, is that with this type of game, the conversation surrounding it, is almost as fun/as detrimental as the game itself. Everyone will be talking about it, their thoughts on the story, the gameplay etc, and I want to be apart of that. Even then, if you don't play it week 1, it gets increasingly harder to avoid spoilers, and spoilers here will straight up ruin the experience.

Currently, my plan is to wait until the review embargo lifts on the 1st November, and if the game is of a reasonable (<30 hours) length, I might decide to grab it and attempt to knock it out before Shenmue 3. However, Shenmue 1 & 2 (about to start replaying them before 3) and Shenmue 3, will take priority here without even thinking about it :p.

I'll give it a fair shake. I'll (naturally) play Shenmue first, as I'd rather wait until the dust of the hype train settles.

I'm not adverse to experimentation in games, and this certainly has a tolerable art house feel. I've recently been enjoying The Last of Us, which feels 60/40, game to cinematic ratio; I'm willing to push that a little further.
I get that Kojima is in a place where he needs to "redeem" himself in the eyes of the masses, but I've never much cared what the masses thought about a game. (If so, I'd never have had the courage to buy Seaman.)

I'm a massive fan of Metal Gear 1-4, and was super hyped for 5 after Ground Zeroes. I love the stories that are told through his games, and was expecting MGS5 to be the same. However, the story took the backseat and was pretty much unfinished (now we know why).

I haven't looked too much into Death Stranding, as I want to go into that kind of game as blind as possible, but it's a Kojima game, so I expect that the level of storytelling will match his other games and be extremely thought provoking. Usually, I would be a day 1 buyer, however, with Shenmue 3 coming out 11 days later, I don't know if I will play it.

My main concern here, is that with this type of game, the conversation surrounding it, is almost as fun/as detrimental as the game itself. Everyone will be talking about it, their thoughts on the story, the gameplay etc, and I want to be apart of that. Even then, if you don't play it week 1, it gets increasingly harder to avoid spoilers, and spoilers here will straight up ruin the experience.

Currently, my plan is to wait until the review embargo lifts on the 1st November, and if the game is of a reasonable (<30 hours) length, I might decide to grab it and attempt to knock it out before Shenmue 3. However, Shenmue 1 & 2 (about to start replaying them before 3) and Shenmue 3, will take priority here without even thinking about it :p.
Damn dude.

We must be twins!
I think exactly like you on this subject haha (minus mgs4 which I nerver played)

Im also starting Shenmue 1 and 2 for the last time before shenmue 3 and that also the priority for me!

we are in the exact same situation.

I'm really thinking about if I buy it or not!

Last edited:
Yes I have it preordered. I'm generally excited for the game and will help kill time until S3 releases.

Im liking the meme on twitter of spouting random overhype bragging haha

Love Kojima; MGS4 story sucks and gameplay was pretty good, yet not upto his own great standard. MG1/2, MGS1-3 and Peace Walker+Ground Zeroes are all fantastic, so I easily ignore the other two (espeiclaly if you think of GZ simply as an epilogue of PW rather than prologue of Phantom Pain). They've always been a number two or three behind Shenmue and Ico, so I'll wait awhile before I dive into Death Stranding, but I will soon enough for sure.

Also, the early buzz and review embargo being so far in advance of street date further assuages minor anxiety about the game taking away attention from Shenmue 3's date. Never felt too threatened by DS poaching potential sales from Shenmue--if anything I think there's plenty more crossover between gamers who like both designers--now even less so.

Loved MGS 1-4 and Ground Zeros was decent. Shame V didn't live up to it. I found the worlds lifeless regardless of the story etc.

I'm really not fussed by it but may pick it up in a sale or something down the line. I'm enjoying playing Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast in prep for the new Star Wars game, hope that lives up to the hype. It probably won't lol

I'm taking a wait and see approach + discount/sales period to pick one up if it majorily reviews well. My day 1 factor was its revolutionizing promise but it was just marketing smoke and mirror so I'm not as intrigue as I used to be anymore.

At first I didn't have any interest in the game. As more information started to come out, which still wasn't much, it slowly peaked my interest. What is really making me want this game is the unique experience that it will provide. plus the story will be interesting as hell. IMO not many games seem to deliver in this day and age. Or am just getting old, which is a good probability.

So this will be a good stand in till S3.

The only deal breaker for me is if you will need an internet connection to really receive the full death Stranding experience.

Definitely hyped for Death Stranding everything just looks so peculiar and intriguing. I'll definitly be surprised if this game doesn't live up to the hype

I'm interested but due to Metal Gear Solid V being ruined from it's open world nature & Death Stranding focusing on a lot of open world environments, it's definitely on the back of my anticipated games list for 2019 - Maybe see about sorting it for Christmas :p

yes i will play it. saying that, im not mega hyped.

the reason why i thought kojima was great was because he seemed to me to be one of the first games creators to blend the line between games and movies almost elvating gaming as an art form.

i still think he is one of the best games creators around but i would much prefer a consise, movie style, gaming experiance rather than a kojima RPG ( mgsV probably would of been fun if it was only 8-10hours, not the 60hours i played..or was forced to play to complete it)

maybe designing and creating these types of games are more fun than playing them.

Im not hyped but ill pick it up after shenmue 3. I do like kojima games even though mgs4 and 5 were a let down

Have it preordered and am excited to play it. Not really looked at any gameplay but the exploration and details look amazing. As mentioned above it will help pass time until Shenmue 3. Sucks they release so close but oh well.

Going to look at getting it next year, but generally I've flopped from being reasonably sold on it, to not really caring. I've wanted Kojima to get away from MGS and create a new IP for probably a decade and a half, but now that it's here I feel like it's maybe exemplifying his worst indulgences.

MGS' story ended up a mess in the later entries of the series, which I thought was down to just the sheer weight continuity and having to answer questions that weren't meant to have any placed on it; but Death Stranding seems to go all-in on the technobabble and pop psychology. I never really bought that Tomokazu Fukushima was the true brains behind the storytelling of the earlier MGS games considering the ones after he left as a writer still have interesting ideas and good scenes, but there's been a definite decline in the writing since MGS3 when the only thing that's remained consistent is Kojima.

The gameplay... I don't have any major objections to it and I think the "walking simulator" criticism levied at it is dumb, but I felt weirdly conflicted seeing how much DNA from MGSV carried over into a new IP. Kojima spent so much time lamenting being chained at the ankle to MGS that I thought the departure would be larger overall. Like even Sam's character seems... Snakey.

I'm also yet to really see what makes Death Stranding this revolutionary shakeup of gaming that it's being built up as. Kojima is a master at personal branding, so perhaps it's all just part of his myth regardless of whether the game does any of that or not.

MGS' story ended up a mess in the later entries of the series, which I thought was down to just the sheer weight continuity and having to answer questions that weren't meant to have any placed on it; but Death Stranding seems to go all-in on the technobabble and pop psychology. I never really bought that Tomokazu Fukushima was the true brains behind the storytelling of the earlier MGS games considering the ones after he left as a writer still have interesting ideas and good scenes, but there's been a definite decline in the writing since MGS3 when the only thing that's remained consistent is Kojima.

Always respected Fukushima, but definitely felt his presense was lost especially after he was gone. Shuya Murata was the one who I bought into as an annointed Kojima protege and successor. Ended up Konami forced Kojima to make 4 and 5 (and Peace Walker? Nevertheless, PW seems much more organic with legitimate inspiration from KP, which ended up being great gameplay and canonical story. Perhaps the reigns were looser from execs being PSP rather than PS3); those were suppose to be Murata's projects.

In hindsight, I'm glad he wasn't left to his own devices because now im revising my historic perception of him and appreciate Fukushima much more since MGS4.

I honestly want him to take the sour taste that MGS V left out of my mouth. I want Death Stranding to be something glorious and I will play it next month....but so far? Based on what we've seen? I just have a feeling it's all hype. Time will tell...I will play it next month...but I'm not sure what I'll make of it. I just hope it takes the sour taste of MGS V out of my mouth.

Last edited:
Im grabbing it in december. November 19th to the end of the month should be enough time to finish Shenmue 3

I have no real expectations for it given how similar it looks to mgs5, and i dont trust any review of the game as it will get 9s and 10s by default because kojimas name is on it.

Im going in blind and hope im very pleased by the end of it.

Back