Deep Silver’s continued involvement with Shenmue

Maybe Deep Silver can get him to work on an arcade racer or some other classic genre that would bring some publicity. I dunno. Trying to think of a positive scenario where he can keep Ys Net in tact even if Shenmue is on the back burner. Entering the realm of making shit up at this point.

Last edited:
^This could make sense. Does Deep Silver have a racing or fighting or flying game IP. Why not outsource the next installment to YS Net and let Yu make the new installment great.

Last edited:
^This could make sense. Does Deep Silver have a racing or fighting or flying game IP. Why not outsource the next installment to YS Net and let Yu make the new installment.

SEGA would probably be happy licensing out their IPs again like Outrun. Suzuki wanted to make a new one he said a couple of years ago..

Maybe Yu could make some kind of contract with Sega like "If I make Outrun 2/VF6/After Burner Next Gen or whatever game for you and it passes a threshold of X amount of Yen in revenue, you guys give me back X amount of development budget for S4"? :D

But yeah, we should first wait and see before we start making shit up.

Maybe Yu could make some kind of contract with Sega like "If I make Outrun 2/VF6/After Burner Next Gen or whatever game for you and it passes a threshold of X amount of Yen in revenue, you guys give me back X amount of development budget for S4"? :D

But yeah, we should first wait and see before we start making shit up.
This is what a lot of developers do in between big projects to keep themselves afloat.

I dont see the reasoning behind a new OutRun or Virtua Fighter to be honest.

As for OutRun, it'd only happen if a 3rd party would be interested in making one. And that'd be only to ride on a old name that doesn't sell much. And I also dont see why YsNet would be the one to make it. There are a lot of already established studios with experience in racing game, which YsNet doesnt have.

As for Virtua Fighter 6, I could see Yu Suzuki working on it. But not as part of YsNet either, which is too small to tackle on that and remain competitive (experience is also a problem).

And then again, these are projects I dont see selling more than Shenmue. Save for VF6. And if VF6 was to be a thing, it wouldn't be on such a tight budget.

As for OutRun, it'd only happen if a 3rd party would be interested in making one. And that'd be only to ride on a old name that doesn't sell much. And I also dont see why YsNet would be the one to make it. There are a lot of already established studios with experience in racing game, which YsNet doesnt have.

As for Virtua Fighter 6, I could see Yu Suzuki working on it. But not as part of YsNet either, which is too small to tackle on that and remain competitive (experience is also a problem).

And then again, these are projects I dont see selling more than Shenmue. Save for VF6. And if VF6 was to be a thing, it wouldn't be on such a tight budget.

I agree, Yu Suzuki just built a "Shenmue" team at YsNet so I don't see them able to make a racing or AAA fighting game unless you staff up pretty heavily (so, not at all likely IMO). It would probably be at least 3-4 years before one of these projects would be released, and then Yu would be 65.

I would imagine anything outside of a Shenmue game would be a mobile game or something along those lines.

The Outrun games in the early /mid 2000s were huge commercial successes for what it's worth. But we're starting to make things up. Let's not go there.

All I know is Outrun 2006 was awesome. Was that the last Outrun game released?

Last new release yes. And it was developped by Sumo Digital.

About making other releases for YsNet: As of right now, the only game that makes sense business wise to make for YsNet is Shenmue IV. Let me explain:
- A lot of the developpement chain is already done.
- A lot of assets have been done.
- The entire team now is used to the game.
If started soon, a Shenmue IV could release in 2 or 2.5 years. It would be early in PS5 life and still when PS4 isn't dead yet.

If YsNet were to tackle on another kind of project they have no experience with, that'd just make reusing those assets even more complicated.

Last new release yes. And it was developped by Sumo Digital.

About making other releases for YsNet: As of right now, the only game that makes sense business wise to make for YsNet is Shenmue IV. Let me explain:
- A lot of the developpement chain is already done.
- A lot of assets have been done.
- The entire team now is used to the game.
If started soon, a Shenmue IV could release in 2 or 2.5 years. It would be early in PS5 life and still when PS4 isn't dead yet.

If YsNet were to tackle on another kind of project they have no experience with, that'd just make reusing those assets even more complicated.

yeah, in his latest interview to Famitsu (yesterday), Yu also said that basically he funded with his own money YsNet at the beginning only because he wanted to make his fans happy with Shenmue 3. What many people don't think about is... Yu Suzuki basically quit working in the early 2000s. The man is rather wealthy (I think royalties from his past games or whatever) and isn't interested in making more money out of games. He's returned to make Shenmue because we, the fans, convinced him :)
He doesn't care to make profits, he doesn't care to make Shenmue 3 a great success. He made a game exactly like "we" wanted it to be. He even stated that he didn't want to add the forklift in Niaowu, but some fans kept insisting about it, so he found a way to add it...
And yes, Shenmue III needed that budget at the time of the Kickstarter because YsNet had zero resources basically. YsNet was composed of less than 5 members back then, now it's 75. They had no graphic engine, now they have it. I think Yu just wants to continue Ryo's story, to complete this last saga. He's not interested in making other games and I think Shenmue IV will be a much smaller investment (the fixed capital is already there) than III.

yeah, in his latest interview to Famitsu (yesterday), Yu also said that basically he funded with his own money YsNet at the beginning only because he wanted to make his fans happy with Shenmue 3. What many people don't think about is... Yu Suzuki basically quit working in the early 2000s. The man is rather wealthy (I think royalties from his past games or whatever) and isn't interested in making more money out of games. He's returned to make Shenmue because we, the fans, convinced him :)
He doesn't care to make profits, he doesn't care to make Shenmue 3 a great success. He made a game exactly like "we" wanted it to be. He even stated that he didn't want to add the forklift in Niaowu, but some fans kept insisting about it, so he found a way to add it...
And yes, Shenmue III needed that budget at the time of the Kickstarter because YsNet had zero resources basically. YsNet was composed of less than 5 members back then, now it's 75. They had no graphic engine, now they have it. I think Yu just wants to continue Ryo's story, to complete this last saga. He's not interested in making other games and I think Shenmue IV will be a much smaller investment (the fixed capital is already there) than III.
Can you link to this interview?

Man, I wish I could find a superior alternative to Google Translate. I can't make sense of most of that interview. :(

Think what threw me through a loop is Suzuki is 'interviewng' the interviewer. Now that I get that, it makes a little more sense. Quite a long interview, surprisingly.

He did say he'd like to make another Outrun or VF with Sega. I mean, he did say that.

I agree, Yu Suzuki just built a "Shenmue" team at YsNet so I don't see them able to make a racing or AAA fighting game unless you staff up pretty heavily (so, not at all likely IMO). It would probably be at least 3-4 years before one of these projects would be released, and then Yu would be 65.

I would imagine anything outside of a Shenmue game would be a mobile game or something along those lines.

He probably wouldn't. He'd be a consultant on them for Sega (like he already is). That would essentially be him 'making a new game'; basically just acting as an outside producer.

It is odd though......Sega AM2. Like they make Border Break (F2P online mech shooter for PS4) and Soul Reverse Zero (arcade only). So I mean, they're....not really doing...much.

But yeah, Sega outsourced new Streets of Rage, Panzer Dragoon remakes, so perhaps they'd do the same again for Outrun. But I mean... AM2 could do it. And only they can do a VF imo (with Yu supervising as a consultant which would be nice)

Back