Deep Silver putting Metro:Exodus exclusively on Epic Store.

RiGoRmOrTiS

Last edited:
Thread title is a bit misleading. Your post and the article itself only specify Metro Exodus for now, if I'm reading both correctly.

Hopefully people actually read beyond the title, and don't spin themselves into a panic.

Deep Silver might just be dipping their toe in the water to see how exclusivity works out for them. Doing so with one of their established franchises, as opposed to a wildcard like Shenmue III, is purely a business move, but not necessarily a sign of things to come.

They were obviously paid a considerable sum for the deal, so there's that, too.

Shenmue 3 already has a steam page set up so unless there is a major change of direction it will remain on there.

If they expand it out beyond that fair enough but to withdraw it from steam would be madness. I can't see that happening.

Edit: reading again I can see the logic but we shall see. Nothing's confirmed and I'm sure it will be public as to where Shenmue 3 can be bought.

Last edited:
Well Metro Exodus still has steam page, too. But they're taking it down later today. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Lots of publishers/developers are testing out some form of exclusivity with the Epic store, most likely because they've worked out a deal with Epic, but also because of the much better profit split compared to releasing on Steam.

Honestly, competition is a good thing and it's about time another company stood toe-to-toe with Valve. I know many PC gamers who feel the same way, and don't actually care that much where they buy games, as long as the service is good and the price is right.

It's not a publisher-wide exclusivity deal as the thread title makes it sound, which is absolutely crucial to remember. Nobody should be losing their head until we have more information.

In the absolute worst case scenario where Deep Silver does agree to blanket exclusivity, and Shenmue III isn't exempt even as an eternally developed game with other stakeholders who'd have to agree - I still fully expect backers who requested a Steam key to have that fulfilled.

We can all keep an eye on the back-end of Shenmue III's steam version here, anyway.

Maybe a change to the thread title is in order now?

Upon reading the article topic title changed.

Deep Silver owns the Metro IP - the future it gambles with a move like this is entirely its own. Sega however owns the Shenmue IP. While within their right as publisher of this particular entry, Deep Silver would be taking major liberties with another company's brand if they made Shenmue III exclusive to a fledgling marketplace. It won't happen.

I don't think there's cause for serious alarm, but when Ubisoft signed on to Epic they made all their games exclusive company-wide, meaning there is the threat of that possibilty. Don't think Sega can do anything either given they granted the licence and Deep Silver is fully in control of publishing duties and therefore final decisions like this. I have Shenmue 3 pre-ordered on Steam via the Slacker Backer campaign so I'll be dejected if it switches over to Epic, and thus hope that doesn't happen.

It'd be such a clusterfuck, having to send out Epic Store codes instead of Steam keys and angering the fans by removing Shenmue 3's Steam page. I think it's unlikely at the moment, but given what Ubisoft did, unfortunately possible.

Hope it doesn't happen, and it might not because Deep Silver doesn't own the IP, so we need to await more news.

Don't think Sega can do anything either given they granted the licence and Deep Silver is fully in control of publishing duties and therefore final decisions like this.

That's why I said "while within their right as publisher of this particular entry."

However, it's not in Deep Silver's long term interests to do anything that might stymie the revival of an IP from which a strong business partner in Sega may hope to profit going forward.

when Ubisoft signed on to Epic they made all their games exclusive company-wide, meaning there is the threat of that possibilty.
Quick note on this - "additional select titles" was the phrasing from the press release about the Ubisoft partnership. As of right now it's not a company-wide initiative for all upcoming releases to be Epic store exclusive, as far as I can tell.

Where that's relevant to Shenmue III:

1. Epic probably won't buy out a publisher's entire upcoming roster, and will instead focus on poaching the big fish. Shenmue III may luckily(?) be too niche to appear on their radar.

2. Deep Silver (or any larger publisher really) would probably not bet the farm on an exclusivity deal for their whole upcoming slate. Metro could be a calculated risk where a potential loss of sales might be offset by Epic taking a smaller cut than Valve does (or they're hoping Steam users cave and move to the Epic store), but they may not necessarily take that same risk on other games with less mainstream selling appeal.

3. (This is the important one) Unlike Ubisoft's press release where unspecified future titles would be subject to the partnership, the press release about Metro Exodus is limited to that game - with mentions that the previous Metro Redux games will be coming to the Epic store later in 2019.
Taken at face value, this current deal is for Metro, and only Metro.

Maybe it's a tin-foil hat theory...but wut if...Just if...Epic are half-life fans and trying to push all of valve's button by pressuring valve into developing "THE" killer app?:alien::devilish:

Maybe it's time to remind Valve that developing half-life 3 is their Nuke option?:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Just saw this on RE, will probably clear up some misunderstanding and worrying on the Shenmue 3 front:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...-the-metro-exodus-epic-game-store-move.96369/

Basically, it looks like we don't need to worry as Shenmue is not their IP, it's Sega's (/lent to YSnet).

As mainly a PC gamer, I welcome the competition of a new store, however, this whole thing surrounding Metro Exodus has been a bit of a mess. Pre-orders already on Steam, physical copies of the game also ship with Steam keys, that will then have to be honoured on the Epic Store, just seems like it was a bit too last minute, and something that should have been sorted out earlier tbh.

Last edited:
Should put some minds at ease, especially given how IP control was evoked in that tweet.

I don't think SEGA will get involved, but as the IP has been licenced to Ys Net (and not Deep Silver), DS can't make a decision without approval of Ys Net and possibly partners like Shibuya Productions.

Not that I think this particularly matters. As I said in my previous post the press release, this arrangement was for the Metro series only.

In an ideal world, Shenmue III will launch on both stores anyway.

Yeah, I want it to release everywhere, evetually. Once the Sony deal has expired, I'm sure DS will release the game on Xbox One, even if they outsource the porting. And heck, Switch supports Unreal Engine 4 :D

Yeah, I want it to release everywhere, eventually. Once the Sony deal has expired, I'm sure DS will release the game on Xbox One, even if they outsource the porting. And heck, Switch supports Unreal Engine 4 :D

Potential Release Schedule
SI&II on Switch: Spring 2019
SIII on PS4 & PC: Summer 2019
SIII on Xbox One: Summer 2020
SIII on Switch: Summer 2021
SIV on PS4: Fall 2022

Back