Did Sony invest in shenmue 3?

No one.
Did they invested capital ? Hard to say. Going with the information we have, they were supposed to provide marketing support (which they barely did) but that was before they had a publisher. So I'd say no.

I always took "support" to be a liberal definition of the term. Like, I can say I support a political party or a football team, or I support a friend, but it doesn't necessarily mean I invest money in them.

Either way, my guess and assumption based on what we know, is no they did not invest any money in Shenmue 3.

I'm sure I read somewhere they were given access to PS4 dev kits and also the 3rd party support team as part of the deal.

It also mentioned Sony were (I'm assuming here) funding the marketing and publishing of the game but since Deep Silver came on-board I'd suggest that element of the deal is null and void. There was probably some clause that if a publisher came along then they could cancel that part of the deal.

There wasn't originally going to be a PS4 Physical version when the KS went up IIRC so they probably meant support as in hosting the game for backers to download.
You're quite right. It was one of the most asked questions during the KS IIRC. They announced it about half way through and there was a massive surge for the rest of that day.

Sony definitely contributed money. Whether or not Deep Silver signing on changed their involvement is unknown, but the proof is all here:

I guess we will find out when the credits roll. But Adam Boyes isn't just someone to flat out lie...if he says they contributed money, then they contributed money.

Its super hard to tell because we dont know if or what changed after Deep Silver came on board.
We have footage from Sony where they are talking about money and general support
but then we also have interviews with Yu Suzuki from 2017-2019 where he doesnt say anything about Sony at all,
when hes talking about support its always about Deep Silver. I think it was 2017 or 2018 where Suzuki said in a newer interview that Shenmue 3 is only on PS4 console because Sony helped at E3. Thats all he had to say about that topic.
If Sony has really invested real money into the development process, then why didnt anyone talk about it since 2016?

They posted this update on KS this year how they got all of these bonus stretch goals in the game
but still not a single word about Sony. We heard about Deep Silvers support, we heard about Epics support because of the Unreal Engine but did anyone hear something about Sonys support in the past 3 years? If Sony really invested money,
than how come that this game is still "just" a 12-15 mil dollar AA game and they still struggled with the budget
and had to cut animations and so on? If Sony really invested a big chunk wouldnt Suzuki or Koch Media
have said anything about that by now? It doesnt make any sense that Sony doesnt want to be mentioned.

I dont doubt that they helped with starting the project, told Ys Net what are the best options and so on
and they are helping with reposting the trailers and mentioning the game
but i dont believe that they invested money into the development process for the actual game.
If they did something else behind closed doors we will probably never know what it was.

Also, Gio has made regular visits to YS Net to see Yu Suzuki and Shenmue III. We will have to wait and see if we see Sony and/or Third Party Productions' names in the credits. Maybe Sony helped in the beginning and chose not to continuously support the project as others have.

But we can't count Sony out...the Sony logo not being plastered everywhere on media for the game or demo doesn't mean anything either. The Epic logo doesn't show up everywhere either, except as a platform choice right beside the PS4 logo. Shibuya chose not to have their logo on the Gamescom 2017 teaser...there are all sorts of behind the scenes stuff we don't know about, and maybe never will. But if Adam Boyes, the former Vice President of Publisher and Developer Relations at Sony Interactive Entertainment said that Sony put money into the game, then there is no doubt that they did.

I don't believe Sony contributed with money, just with marketing and promotion, in return they got goodwill from the press and players...

I would speculate maybe Sony contributed dev kits? Maybe some tech support/consulting? Announcing the KS campaign on their stage was huge. I know it was beneficial for Sony as well but that doesn't diminish its positive impact... that's what you call a win-win scenario.

The E3 announcement was HUGE for this game.

I don't think anything could've helped Shenmue 3 as much as that.

Was it not the standard indie game exclusivity deal they were doing at the time? Boyes was talking it up because of the hype around the reveal.

The E3 reveal was important.

Back