Did you guys know Capcom landed in hot waters over thier mini?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
People are saying It's a half-assed attempt @ cash grabbing to the point of violating potential legalities.

Wall of text report:

Its website markets the Capcom Home Arcade as an “authentic gaming” experience, in part because it utilizes the original arcade ROMs for games like Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting and Alien Vs. Predator and runs them with FB Alpha, an arcade emulator known for its snappy response times. As those in the emulation community were quick to point out, however, FB Alpha is open-source, and distributed under a license that strictly forbids people from trying to profit off of it.

Pre-orders for the fight stick are currently listed on the Amazon UK Store for £199.99, or approximately $260.
Although it bears the Capcom name and logo, the fight stick is actually produced by Koch Media GmbH, a subsidiary of the video game holding company THQ Nordic. Barry Harris, one of the chief developers of FB Alpha, tweeted on April 16 that “FBAlpha has been licensed by Capcom Home Arcade.” It’s not clear what that process entailed, given the software’s licensing language, or who Harris consulted with, but not everyone who’s worked on FB Alpha is on board.

“I’m in the strongly against camp on this as well,” wrote contributor iq_132 on the FB Alpha development forum. “I am very against someone profiting from my work unless it’s me, of course. I have never accepted payment for my emulation work. I’m considering pulling out all of the code I wrote and ported for FBA-this would effectively make FBA back into just a CPS and Neo-Geo emulator.”

When asked for comment, Capcom directed Kotaku to contact Deep Silver, the video game publishing subsidiary of Koch Media, who did not immediately respond.

Looks like DS was in another controversy again this time caught with Capcom.

Such a pity its not just another arcade collection release for current consoles. I have most of the games included on that (including an arcade board for AvP) but I still don't have the Capcom sports game, 19XX and Pro Gear. Plus the thing is pretty darn big and I already have a Supergun roughly that size so storing it would be a hassle.
Oh, and the whole emulator thing is a big no-no Capcom...

Back