Digital Foundry: Shenmue 3 Tech Preview

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-10-03 Shenmue 3 Tech Preview A Worthy Successor To A Retro Classic - YouTube.png
    Screenshot_2019-10-03 Shenmue 3 Tech Preview A Worthy Successor To A Retro Classic - YouTube.png
    14 KB · Views: 83
Video is nice but I came for the comments and was not not disappointed .

They are just comedy gold. From the classic looks like a 360 game to the bold statement that the 2015 teaser looked better than the 2019 footage.

Why even read the comments.

Overall the video was pretty fair but didn't offer anything outside of what any other fan who played the demo would say. I also think he didn't give the combat a fair shake and probably didn't practice it much. Nice to see the overall impressions were positive though.

The tweet has only negative comments thus far. All saying it looks dated. Does it really look that bad? Serious question. Am I just blinded by being a fan of Shenmue?

Kids these days are graphic whores and we are talking about a video from Digital foundry. One of the main channels on the tube that made it modern to bitch about graphics.

That is not to meant to be a rant against the works of John Linneman, Rich Leadbetter and the other guys at DF.

I like their work a lot although I do not even understand half of the stuff they were saying but this kind of work attracts some of the worst trolls the internet has to offer.

The tweet has only negative comments thus far. All saying it looks dated. Does it really look that bad? Serious question. Am I just blinded by being a fan of Shenmue?

Of course someone’s doing the “they stole money and the game looks like shit so it’s a scam!” bit even though the demo is a hit and the DF video is pretty positive. People just have it out for this game.

I love DF but their comment sections on non-retro videos are always console war shit-flinging.

Anyway, can we talk about the video and not concentrate on a handful of attention seeking idiots for a change?

Some people just want the game to fail. This a just a small vocal minority in the internet.

I think the game looks nice. Even as a non Shenmue Fan I would be interested. As I non Shenmue Fan It remind me of Life Strange and as I love Life is Strange I would give it a try quite certainly.

Try to focus on the content of the video guys. The small minority of haters shouldn't rile you up so much. They've tried and tried again to tear down this game and they've failed at every opportunity.

Shenmue 3 is in a very strong position right now and is on its way to succeed, despite all their attempts.

Haters gonna hate. Good luck to them I say. We'll have the last laugh in the end so don't waste your time on them.

Focus on the video going forward and let's not turn this into a negative comment thread.

I played God of War 4, RDR 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Far Cry 5 and all that stuff
and of course it looks better, i mean ... thats not even worth a discussion.
I'm not blind.
Still just because Shenmue 3 doesnt have that AAAAA 100% max quality look
doesnt mean that it looks bad. It just doesnt look as good (what a surprise) but not as good doesnt mean bad.
I dont know why so many people only can see two sides "awful" and "awesome",
its like all of their reviews are 0/10 or 10/10, the other numbers dont exist.
I think it looks good enough to enjoy it and this setting and the classic Shenmue vibe is way more worth to me
than any AAAAAA Ubisoft 1000000000 KM soulless open world game.

They got the images the wrong way around.

I'm glad he mentioned how there's a little bit of a disconnect between the character models and the environments. The character models are leaning away from photorealism, but the environments are leaning toward it, and it creates an odd effect.

Good video from John, but not surprised about the comments.

DF cut its teeth early in the generation focusing on tech differences between games on PS4 and Xbox One, so it attracts an audience of pixel peepers and console warriors. Just roll your eyes, make positive comments yourself, downvote the negative ones, and support other positive comments.

I'm glad he mentioned how there's a little bit of a disconnect between the character models and the environments. The character models are leaning away from photorealism, but the environments are leaning toward it, and it creates an odd effect.
Dunno about this take, personally.

The environments look believable, but they're highly... I guess authored might be the word I'm looking for. Maybe painterly? Artistic licence is taken in any game creating a location that doesn't *really* exist, but it feels very heavily leaned into with what we've seen of Shenmue III.

Take the view of Bailu Village from the Vantage Point; the fields of flowers highlighting the trail, the way the mountains subside and curve down to lead the eye to the village, with the bell tower standing tall against the backdrop of the sky like a giant objective marker. It's all stylised in the sense that it's meant to be a perfect view in ways you don't always get in reality.

shenmue3-win64-shippihiju1.png

But a tree is always gonna look like a tree, y'know?

Back