Digital Foundry Shenmue III Impressions

Jibby

🍇
Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
the waiting game.
Impressions are right at the start, no need to skip ahead.

Seems pretty positive and a few juicy tidbits too:
  • Modernised controls - R trigger still used for running
  • Dual audio options in settings menu
  • Very few loading screens
  • 60FPS on PC
  • Feels like Shenmue, just refined
  • Shenmue III will take us approx. 40-50% through the story according to Yu Suzuki
  • Yu Suzuki is confident about the feasibility of Shenmue IV now that the necessary tools and teams have been established

Last edited:

From 0:40 to 5:50

John Linneman overall positive about his experience with the PC demo he played, which was at 60fps. They noted that while others had trouble with the one-inch punch minigame, John was doing so well that Suzuki got up from his chair in excitement :LOL:

Also noted that the game feels less linear than Shenmue II, in that you can wander into grassy fields instead of walking down a set path. Combat felt very "Shenmue on Dreamcast", which John was happy with as a big fan of the original games, but he can see why others would be put off. Suzuki also sounds positive about continuing with the same tools and team on making a fourth game.

Impressions are right at the start, no need to skip ahead.

Seems pretty positive and a few juicy tidbits too:
  • Modernised controls - R trigger still used for running
  • Dual audio options in settings menu
  • Very few loading screens

He also mentioned 60fps on the PC build. Whether that carries over to the PS4 version remains to be seen.

It was interesting to hear that he had no problems with the one inch punch mini game where as others apparently were. Thought that was an interesting tidbit.

Really confused by all of these contradicting reviews of the demo. Some of the more subjective things I can understand, but when it comes to how the game runs it either runs well or it doesn’t. I suppose we will have to wait and see for ourselves.

The question is are those European publications lying or just stupid?

Great impressions. I thought that french write up was the guy being whiney and clearly going in there wanting to hate the game. I know Shenmue isn't for everyone, but at least call it like it is and don't jump on this bandwagon dated train just for cheap clicks and attention.

Of course it was. But if you're french, we both know that JVC and GK's voice carries a lot more weight than ours unfortunately.

Probably just stupid.

Both stupid and lying.

John has eagle eyes so when it comes to something like 60fps, I will 100% take his word for it. With other aspects that are more subjective, he will lean more positive as a fan of the series.

Jeauxvideo went beyond hte usual, understandable, unimpressed previews when they simply don't click with the Shenmue flow. Their writer probably had a predisposed disdain, while also forced to take the assignment by their boss haha.

Jeauxvideo went beyond hte usual, understandable, unimpressed previews when they simply don't click with the Shenmue flow. Their writer probably had a predisposed disdain, while also forced to take the assignment by their boss haha.

Of course he did. He's been trolling the game for years.

Back