Shenmue or Shenmue II?

• Shenmue

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Shenmue II

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • Love them both the same

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters
The song that plays while you're airing out the books makes it a joyful experience. It's also a technically more interesting minigame than moving crates with Delin. (No offense, big guy - we make a perfect team!) With airing out the books you have to develop a good balance between speed and, well... balance. And you're also free to choose where to set them down. So it becomes like a mini strategy game as you go for the best time.

You move crates for one day. One Shenmue Day that is. One Shenmue morning to be exact.

Then completely optional.

Forklifting was maybe more fun but it was forced and everyday once you get a job at the harbour.

Its actually one Shenmue HOUR, not even a full morning.

That’s only technically true. Once (if) you’re out of money and gambling/lucky hit/pawning is no longer an option. Crate lifting becomes mandatory. It depends on how far you are in the game though. There is also fighting, but that comes later.

Huh? No it doesn't, lol.

I've got a little hint for you;

1. Go to desired Lucky Hit stand/Roll It On Top/Big or Small.
2. SAVE YOUR GAME.
3. Keep reloading until you have your desired money amount.

Voila, you never have to carry crates ever again, after the first try (unless you want Brawling Uppercut and why wouldn't you want that?).

Its actually one Shenmue HOUR, not even a full morning.

Huh? No it doesn't, lol.

I've got a little hint for you;

1. Go to desired Lucky Hit stand/Roll It On Top/Big or Small.
2. SAVE YOUR GAME.
3. Keep reloading until you have your desired money amount.

Voila, you never have to carry crates ever again, after the first try (unless you want Brawling Uppercut and why wouldn't you want that?).
Once (if) you’re out of money and gambling/lucky hit/pawning is no longer an option.

Although to be fair you can make money by running a lucky hit stand, but that's even more tedious and much less reliable than carrying crates...

Although to be fair you can make money by running a lucky hit stand, but that's even more tedious and much less reliable than carrying crates...

That's why you:

1. Buy the Vampire Lighters before losing your bag.
2. Carry crates.
3. Go to the Roll it On Top in Green Market Quarter, with the old smoking man, who looks like a Chinese version of my deceased grandfather.
4. Save your game.
5. Keep reloading saves and saving until your have your desired amount.

And that's it.

Seriously, I CANNOT be the only person who plays 'mue II this way.

That's why you:

2. Carry crates.
3. Go to the Roll it On Top in Green Market Quarter, with the old smoking man, who looks like a Chinese version of my deceased grandfather.
4. Save your game.

And that's it.

I did it this way. And I felt completely dirty and promised myself never to tell anybody. Glad I'm not the only one

That's why you:

2. Carry crates.
4. Save your game.

And that's it.

That's exactly how I do it, except I go to the Zheng Zong homie in worker's pier. Much better/faster payout... But you can't expect everyone to enjoy cheating in such an immersive game. I really wish there were better option to make money and I would gladly participate in them legitimately...

lol but its not cheating!

Its using the game's newfound features (save anywhere) to your advantage.

Hmm, where in Worker's Pier is this guy? I will be sure to hit him up.

lol but its not cheating!

Its using the game's newfound features (save anywhere) to your advantage.

Hmm, where in Worker's Pier is this guy? I will be sure to hit him up.
It's literally a hole in the wall lol past the stairs. Fortune's Pier, not worker's pier, I always get confused by those because you work in fortune's pier lmfao. But yeah it's just on the right past the staircase around the corner... literally a hole in the wall...

It's literally a hole in the wall lol past the stairs. Fortune's Pier, not worker's pier, I always get confused by those because you work in fortune's pier lmfao. But yeah it's just on the right past the staircase around the corner... literally a hole in the wall...
Many thanks :)

Shenmue 2 for me. I just love, love, love the Kowloon section so much. The part which takes influence from the former walled city.

It just all comes together at this point. The varied street fights, every type of lucky hit and the bad ass Master Baihu.

So finally, I've been playing Shenmue 1+2 on the PS4. I really appreciate having both games back to back on one disc and it lets me look at both in a new light. I still have a slight preference for Shenmue 1 due to the Japanese setting, intimate scale, and fond memories of the Dreamcast in its prime. But playing both games back to back is a reminder of the fact that both were developed at more or less the same time and they're more alike than they are different.

Being able to play both with the original Japanese voices and English subs is a real plus for me and makes up for the few bugs that are left over in the ports.

Warning: nostalgia follows:
I played Shenmue 1 close to its European release on Christmas Day in 2000. I didn't like it immediately but stuck with it and grew to love it. It's forever a Christmas game for me.

By the time Shenmue 2 landed, so much had changed. I'd had to face the fact that the Dreamcast was on borrowed time, with the (unrealistic) hopes of its chances of surviving the PS2 just a year before gone. And on a bigger scale, 9/11 had just happened. It was the end of several eras. And of course, the Dreamcast version had no English dub, which on the whole is a good thing, but I'd been introduced to the series with Corey Marshall as Ryo, so the emotional connection I'd built up with the character had to be restarted.

At some point in early 2002, I stopped playing Shenmue II. I think I'd reached Kowloon but somehow lapsed. By summer, I finally dusted off the DC and picked it back up (in the middle of a horrible Xbox software drought). All of my favorite parts were on disc 3 - being handcuffed to Ren and escaping the apartment building and so on.

Some people don't like Disc 4, but I absolutely love it. The scene with the fawn, walking peacefully through the countryside with Shenhua, and that amazing music in the stone pit. The slower pace and introspective feeling, for me, made it feel like a fitting end to the Dreamcast.

Last edited:
That is a tough question. I love both games but in the end Shenmue 2 is the better game. Shenmue 1 is still unique to this day which makes it very special. Shemue 2 is a bit more in line with other games but without losing ist Shenmueness if I may say that.

the slow peace of Shenmue 1 and the exploring part of the game are great. But Shenmue 2 is better because the Story is getting more and more intersting. Shenmue 2 also has the better characters in my opinion. So many great Characters, like Ren, Xiuying, Fang Mei and of Course Shenhua.

In the bad guys Department I like the charas of Shenmue 1 more though.

Althought Dou Niu and Yuan have their Moments nobody will beat the Great Chai as a bad guy.

Some people don't like Disc 4, but I absolutely love it. The scene with the fawn, walking peacefully through the countryside with Shenhua, and that amazing music in the stone pit. The slower pace and introspective feeling, for me, made it feel like a fitting end to the Dreamcast.

In regards to the consensus here, I believe everyone and their mother absolutely adores disc 4 (me included).

The casual aholes don't like it; we do.

In regards to the consensus here, I believe everyone and their mother absolutely adores disc 4 (me included).

The casual aholes don't like it; we do.
Over the years I've come to loath disk 4 as it's just a horrible way to end a playthrough of everything before it. I mean it's that way by design as it's meant to lead into Shenmue 3 and it would pace perfectly in that case... but we never got 3 lol so it's just this slog to a cliffhanger ending that really isn't satisfying. The first few times I loved it because it is a great way to get a man hyped for Shenmue 3, but as the years went by I started to dislike it for obvious reasons...

But I have to admit, I've enjoyed disk 4 a lot more ever since June 2015...

Last edited:
Back