Do you think there is any chance Sega will give YSNET permission to use his old AM2 games?

It might be from Shenmue Master's overview:

Following the duck race in Shenmue II, a new race is being prepared (although we don't know if ducks are coming back). As confirmed in MAGIC 2016, fishing is also part of Shenmue III. Some NPCs may indicate to you where the best spots are and where you may sell your dried fish. Ryo Hazuki can also chop wood. If you ever dreamt of Ryo being a lumberjack... Suzuki-san adds that he feels a bit compelled to integrate forklifts, or else fans would be annoyed.

Among the new mini games, we notice whac-a-mole, pinball and punching ball. Yu Suzuki hopes that mini games are better interconnected and integrated into Shenmue's world. We may earn money by winning prizes in mini games. You could use this money to buy skill books and be a better fighter. Yu Suzuki wants a true local economy to strengthen the open world feel. Each gameplay sequence may fit the storyline more naturally so the player feels more involved and focused. Yu Suzuki expects that it will be one of the strongest and attractive elements of Shenmue III.

https://shenmuemaster.fr/page.php?cat=shenmue3&page=gamescom-2017-the-recap

Good to know! So it wouldn't be proper to say that it's officially confirmed, but... rumored? How would you say that?

Good to know! So it wouldn't be proper to say that it's officially confirmed, but... rumored? How would you say that?
It's hard to define tbh, it depends how much stock you put in JeuxVideo accurately reporting the details of their meeting with Yu.

I think it's probably fine to say confirmed? Pinball seems pretty clear cut with little room for confusion. Yu either said it or he didn't, and I would like to believe a big publication wouldn't make a detail like that up for flavour.

Ultimately Shenmue III doesn't live or die on its inclusion or not of pinball. Best to let sleeping dogs lie.

A decent pinball mini-game would actually be awesome...but only if it's a Lan Di branded table and you can hit the ball in his mouth for massive points.

*On the topic of improving old mini-games, I love Lucky Hit...but I don't like working the Lucky Hit stand. There must be a better way for them to turn it into a job without the whole 'wait and flag people down' aspect, which can be boring.

Last edited:
The game within a game emulation is still novelty. No one else besides Sega...heck even Nintendo hasn't even done it and they old skool as it comes and the last to explore new trends/tech...:whistle:

You can play NES games in the original Animal Crossing on Nintendo 64, as well as both Donkey Kong and Jetpac in Donkey Kong 64. Nintendo's practice of emulating a game within another game actually predates Sega's.

The game within a game emulation is still novelty. No one else besides Sega...heck even Nintendo hasn't even done it and they old skool as it comes and the last to explore new trends/tech...:whistle:
Nintendo did it with Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, but you'd never see them do it anymore unfortunately. Why give you a game for free when they can sell it to you on the eShop for £5?

You can play NES games in the original Animal Crossing on Nintendo 64, as well as both Donkey Kong and Jetpac in Donkey Kong 64. Nintendo's practice of emulating a game within another game actually predates Sega's.
Nintendo did it with Animal Crossing on the Gamecube, but you'd never see them do it anymore unfortunately. Why give you a game for free when they can sell it to you on the eShop for £5?

Ah I skipped majority of those two consoles libraries. I stand corrected. But the game emulation Novelty thing is still unique in gaming sphere 4 sure.

I think Geometry Wars started as a game within your garage in one of the Project Gotham Racing titles. Activision has put some of their Atari 2600 games in Call of Duty, I think. But yeah, Sega is one of the few companies that has enough games and enough history to do this kind of thing in a way that really showcases their legacy.

I think Uncharted 4 had a playable Crash Bandicoot as well.
Sort of. There are only 2 times in the game where you can play it and it's a recreation of a single level, not emulation.
Off topic, but someone actually modded the game to put Nathan Drake into the level with some really bizarre results:

Well, we know there'll be an arcade given we have Ryo playing on that boxing machine in the Steam screenshot, so evidently Yu does feel an arcade, even a run-down, back-water kind of one is appropriate for the time and location. I'd be happy with anything that's included in all honesty, though must admit whilst they were a nice touch and novel inclusion in the originals, they were just that, novel, and didn't really have much bearing on my profound love for the games.

I think ultimately we'll get a new array of mini-game type games, without Yu's arcade video games included at all, and whilst that's sad in some respects, as Peter said in a way it is more fitting.

Back