Duck Racing Stats Display

It is mindboggling that the community is still discovering new things in these games.

Wow!

How did you find this out?

In like 2014/2015ish, I was streaming the game on Twitch and I was at the duck racing section, someone in chat randomly told me; I tried it, and it worked. I was amazed at the time that this was even a thing.

Then I completely forgot about it.

Last week on Peter's stream Bluemue was asking about having a mod to view the stats; I suddenly remembered it didn't need a mod and told him about it.

So credit goes to that random person in chat. How they discovered it will probably remain a mystery forever.

According to Bluemue it was also posted on the old forum.

A discovery as remarkable as the Dead Sea Scrolls, this.
That said, seeing how long it takes to level up has freed me from the guilt of never gaining that gold medal. I hope that duck was roasted and eaten in the Guilin cave.

Its why I think to myself, "should I even bother beating Izumi and doing the races?" It takes SO LONG to level up and even then, beating that damn Penguin is so friggin' hard...

I've never even made it to the duck races before, much less seen the stat tracking. It looks hilarious, but brutally difficult! I always thought the absence of forklift races was a regrettably missing feature in S2, but this looks like a fun equivalent experience. However you'd never know about it if not for a guide or some good word of mouth.

I had no problem getting the gold medal, only took like 7 or 8 tries if I remember correctly... never had to look at the stats. The really only hard part was being careful about how firmly I squeezed the trigger, actually took me a few tries to even figure out how that mechanic worked. I kept running out of stamina and couldn't figure out why until I realized how it works...

Its why I think to myself, "should I even bother beating Izumi and doing the races?" It takes SO LONG to level up and even then, beating that damn Penguin is so friggin' hard...
Beating Izumi is reward enough on it's own lol... Duck races aren't that fun IMO...

Last edited:
Any idea how high the stats can go?

Don't think I ever actual got to the penguin, will try next time! Side note, I love the music for duck racing. That and the sheer speed (oh ok and the gambling aspect) makes it more fun that forklift racing imo. If there was a multiplayer option though, forklifts all the way.

It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to go from the owner of a brand new duck to the owner of a gold medal. Beating the mallard and penguin is bonus content that gives you nothing except bragging rights (for the penguin, bragging rights I've never earned :sob: ).

Beating Izumi is reward enough on it's own lol... Duck races aren't that fun IMO...

BLASPHEMY! BURN THE HERETIC!

Any idea how high the stats can go?

Stats can go up to 255, but it's not as simple as that. When you get above ~216 stats will stop increasing for the most part but still occasionally increase.

Motivated by seeing how the stats improve I did more races to get my duck to a crazy high level.
Unfortunately the stats really don't like to go up around the level that the duck at the end of the video has.
3 more races improved it but after that it was pretty much over. Did 14 races with nothing and gave up.

I turned my attention to finding out where exactly the duck stats are stored in the save file. Since I knew what the values were it was easy enough to look for them and I quickly found them in the DC save. Went over to the rereleases from there and it was a breeze to hack the duck to be completely maxed out in everything.

Here is where the values are stored. To max them out you of course need to set them to FF.

13CE - Speed
13CF - Stamina
13D0 - Guts
13D1 - Turn

Of course I couldn't resist the urge to let this super duck really destroy the penguin. So I made another racing video.

It's 2019 and I've still yet to experience this duck racing mini-game.

I guess my cover as a Shenmue fan has be blown. :oops:

It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to go from the owner of a brand new duck to the owner of a gold medal. Beating the mallard and penguin is bonus content that gives you nothing except bragging rights (for the penguin, bragging rights I've never earned :sob: ).

My apologies; I thought you needed to beat the penguin for the gold medal!

Back