Encounters With Famous People

The air that my friend got from Kojima is that he was treating him as if he was beneath him. Like it was something special for my friend to be talking to the “great Kojima.”

He was talking down to my friend like my friend was beneath him, That is what I got told. I can’t go into any further detail because it’s not my story to tell. It’s the best I can say about it in public.

But the impression was Kojima was high on his own self and he projected it down to others. And it rubbed my friend the wrong way and came across as arrogant.

• Sad
Reactions: red
The air that my friend got from Kojima is that he was treating him as if he was beneath him. Like it was something special for my friend to be talking to the “great Kojima.”

He was talking down to my friend like my friend was beneath him, That is what I got told. I can’t go into any further detail because it’s not my story to tell. It’s the best I can say about it in public.

But the impression was Kojima was high on his own self and he projected it down to others.
Wow, well I'm truly shocked about that. All the Japanese people I've ever met have always been the kindest and most respectful by a long shot.

My dad taught Hugh Laurie how to ride a motorbike.

I've met Stephen Fry and Michael Morpurgo (... separately). I was a kid when I met Morpurgo, so I don't remember much about him, only that he was "that guy that wrote that book I read", but he seemed alright.

Fry is an absolute legend and comes across as just an ordinary guy, incredibly understated. You can basically treat him like a random at a pub. Clearly he knows his fame because he uses it for good causes (and money) but doesn't put himself above anyone else because of it.

- Went up to Uwe Rosler at a Junior Blues meeting when I was a kid with a typically atrocious 90s haircut and had my photo taken with him.

- Ran into Joe Royle in Morrison’s in 2001 shortly before he got sacked.

- Went to a City supporters forum in 2012 for my 13th (the actual physical ones, not these type) I met Glyn Pardoe and had my photo taken with him (it’s on an old phone so is lost to time n probably looked shite anyway)

- Spoke to Jay-Z during one of the chat room sessions he used to do around 2004ish or summat (may have been after, can’t remember) A few years later made him chuckle while he was on stage (was at the front row, he sang Song Cry to the bird next to me, I started takin the piss, I’m hilarious)

- Met Jack Duckworth when I was working at the City shop in 05, offered to help (as you do in retail). Asked him about gettin absolutely banjo’d in Abbey Hey Working Men’s by my grandad’s mate back in the day. Wasn’t too pleased.

- Took my dad to a Colin Bell talk around the same time, went up n got his book signed for him.

- Saw Cain Dingle when he was deejaying at the Roadhouse in town around 07. Flipped through his record collection n had a brief chat about City.

- Was in the same room as Pete Doherty backstage at some gig in the Ruby Lounge in 08. Didn’t interact with him other than to lend him a lighter.

- Nedum Onuoha took private night classes in the college I went to in 08/09, so chatted to him a bit about the Blues.

- Had a brief conversation with Trevor Nelson in 09 when he did a talk at the same college.

- Kevin Webster’s daughter bumped into me at the college too.

- Spoke to Paul Lake on Facebook a few times around 2011 (went to school with his nephew)

- Met Yu Suzuki at GDC in 2014. His translator almost cupped my bollocks when she went to shake my hand.

- Reni came to the art exhibit for my art course in 2016. We were both puttin out our cigs on the same bin, I said “nice shirt” (was a Stone Roses one, obviously...) he said “cheers, decent band aren’t they?” Before I looked up and noticed who it was.

- Ricky Hatton occasionally comes in to a pub across the way from mine, said hi a few times but that’s it.

- Had a few interactions with Norm Breyfogle on Facebook in his final years.

- Shook Mike Summerbee’s hand on numerous occasions down the years and used to see him all the time when I went for my half time bovril in the Platt Lane stand (the bar there was the Mike Summerbee bar, so of course he was always around that area)

There’s probably more but I can’t really remember, but none have been interactions to shout home about, I tend to just leave em be.

Last edited:
Mine has basically been just sports people.

• Cito Gaston (former baseball player/manager/coach) I've met about... 7 times and he remembered my nickname (Truck) after the 4th time I met him lol. Super down to earth and classy guy.
  • I met practically the entire Toronto Blue Jays teams from 2004-2006. Impressions are:
- Everyone is really nice, for the most part.
- Pete Walker (now the pitching coach for the Jays) is so friggin' nice and down to Earth, very friendly and courteous.
- Alex Rios is indeed an much of a prick as he was made out to be in the video taken of him snubbing a kid and telling others to **** off. Complete asshole.
- Josh Phelps is super nice and easy to talk to; met him when he was playing in Italy too, in 2011.
- Eric Hinske (my favourite player ever and idol) not only was far and away the nicest out of EVERYONE, but had the best handshake I've ever shaken in my life (my 14-16 year old hands sunk into his and I DON'T have small hands) and he signed my jersey of his all 3 times I met him, when the players weren't permitted to sign anything either.
  • Craig Simpson was nice, but, "all business." Serious guy.
  • Mike Cammalleri was super nice and friendly, didn't talk much though (he's missing a bunch of teeth lol).
  • I not only coached him (for baseball, in High School), but I'm also friends with Lucas Lessio, who used to play in the NHL and now plays in Europe. Good kid, easily the best pure athlete I've ever known personally.
  • Jose Bautista is awesome and hilarious; I have a feeling he would be a fantastic friend: tells you like it is, can joke with you, goes with the flow, just a wonderful character for the 10 minutes I was in his presence.
The biggest name I've ever met though, would probably be Nigel Mansell; Nige' did a luncheon at a local, "Rich Persons," club here in Toronto, about 4.5 years ago and my father and I (both being F1 lifers and fanatics) were able to get in, as my dad knew the host/sommelier personally.

Nige' indeed has a slight (SLIGHT!) air of pompousness to him, but he is a wonderful man; so many F1 Drivers are robotic, clichéd and boring, but Mansell FEELS. So much of our conversation conveyed emotions and feelings that he got from his experiences, as opposed to just a play-by-play re-telling and he is one of the many that is still greatly saddened at the death of Ayrton Senna.

Big kudos to him for staying with his lovely wife (a SUPER nice woman), Roseanne for all these years, as many British F1 drivers have been known to be the playboy type...

I also always pictured him as being bigger than he is; he's not a small man by any stretch of the imagination, but I always pictured him being taller.

As a seminarian, I shook Pope Benedict XVI's hand. We were both sleepy.
At a sleazy Pittsburgh dive bar in which you could smoke, I met LeVar Burton. I also shook his hand, but he (responsibly) refused to smoke my pipe, even though all was legal.

I hope to meet no third.

I was so hoping this was going to be a continuation of the pope story.

For what it's worth, Ratzinger was a product of his era: apparently he smoked Marlboro Reds until the 1980s (he got a pacemaker in time). Rumor has it he mostly drinks only Fanta and German beer.

I don't really encounter many or almost none at all except a few occasions that I do recall fondly.

-Meeting and shaking an "art-house" director/screenplay writer Mari Okada's hands. Then while freaking out about it, I got a free Sig on a Memorabilia+Wallpaper since I was a huge fan. I've framed them and stored em in my treasured room.

-Meet and greet the Persona 5 VO Cast back in Summer 2017. They also did a nice ad-lib special where they all played their character role on random submitted topics gathered. The room was packed to the brim with fan-girls. RIP eardrums.

-Saw Kenji Inafune during a convention. Asked about his health & MN9(was being promoted @ the time). He assured me the development was going fine & he had to leave for his guest panel asap.

-Got noticed by a very popular JP VA "Yui Horie" during a fan event for the OVA series Kings. She basically picked me for a trivia and we also play rock-paper-scissor for prizes. My 15-mins of fame moment. haha.

-Got to see DQ's creator Yuji Horii @ a DXI demo-station and got a Themed-shirt.

-Participated in a Q&A with the Director of "Corner of this world" from studio Mappa at an exclusive 500-seater private screening. He sadly passed away a year later. I should had took the Sig offer even tho I herd it was a 2-3 hrs waiting line before starting. Feelsbadman. I did frame the give away movie poster as a tribute.

-Met a famous AV actress from JP named "Miyazawa" who was doing a cosplay gig for Square-Enix's star-ocean series. Found out about it after the fact. People who knew her from her "Other" occupation let it casually slip.

-Got to see unreleased concept footage of Garou 2(Cancelled fighters) from SNk's "Mark of the wolves" Ip in a collab event hosted by NIS. They brought an in-house artist(Disgea) and Snk's Lead-artist(KOF,Garou,Fatal Fury) who were both Childhood friends that ended up in separate companies after graduating collage together as guests of honor.

-Attended a Live commentary+Demonstration for "Little Dragons Cafe" from the creator himself. Known for directing other works such as the popular Harvest Moon series. Mr. Yasuhiro Wada himself was kinda nervous during the presentation that he saved over someone else's saved files accidently. Ran over 20 mins. & Apologized he didn't get to show everything on his agenda list as he intended becuz of earlier technical issues. It was too funny to get mad/disappointed haha.

-Met the director of the "Stein;gates" series during a NA premier event of his new work "Morning Glories".

-Chill with the sound/audio guy+director as they watched along/together with the crowd for Kyoani's "Liz and the Blue Bird" title.

-Met and played a round with the popular Card-fight Vanguard game creator. If U win U get a play-mat+an exclusive promo card.

-Got a free Latin dance lesson + Live Shikishi drawing from Polygon pictures and Studio IG during a promo event with the creative team for ボールルームへようこそ. The same team also did AOT. (Attack on Titan)

There are prolly a couple more but this post is getting too long & I'm not remembering it atm.:p

Will update later if I recall anything as I get some more free time to reflect.

I don't really encounter many or almost none at all except a few occasions that I do recall fondly.

-Meeting and shaking an "art-house" director/screenplay writer Mari Okada's hands. Then while freaking out about it, I got a free Sig on a Memorabilia+Wallpaper since I was a huge fan. I've framed them and stored em in my treasured room.

-Meet and greet the Persona 5 VO Cast back in Summer 2017. They also did a nice ad-lib special where they all played their character role on random submitted topics gathered. The room was packed to the brim with fan-girls. RIP eardrums.

-Saw Kenji Inafune during a convention. Asked about his health & MN9(was being promoted @ the time). He assured me the development was going fine & he had to leave for his guest panel asap.

-Got noticed by a very popular JP VA "Yui Horie" during a fan event for the OVA series Kings. She basically picked me for a trivia and we also play rock-paper-scissor for prizes. My 15-mins of fame moment. haha.

-Got to see DQ's creator Yuji Horii @ a DXI demo-station and got a Themed-shirt.

-Participated in a Q&A with the Director of "Corner of this world" from studio Mappa at an exclusive 500-seater private screening. He sadly passed away a year later. I should had took the Sig offer even tho I herd it was a 2-3 hrs waiting line before starting. Feelsbadman. I did frame the give away movie poster as a tribute.

-Met a famous AV actress from JP named "Miyazawa" who was doing a cosplay gig for Square-Enix's star-ocean series. Found out about it after the fact. People who knew her from her "Other" occupation let it casually slip.

-Got to see unreleased concept footage of Garou 2(Cancelled fighters) from SNk's "Mark of the wolves" Ip in a collab event hosted by NIS. They brought an in-house artist(Disgea) and Snk's Lead-artist(KOF,Garou,Fatal Fury) who were both Childhood friends that ended up in separate companies after graduating collage together as guests of honor.

-Attended a Live commentary+Demonstration for "Little Dragons Cafe" from the creator himself. Known for directing other works such as the popular Harvest Moon series. Mr. Yasuhiro Wada himself was kinda nervous during the presentation that he saved over someone else's saved files accidently. Ran over 20 mins. & Apologized he didn't get to show everything on his agenda list as he intended becuz of earlier technical issues. It was too funny to get mad/disappointed haha.

-Met the director of the "Stein;gates" series during a NA premier event of his new work "Morning Glories".

-Chill with the sound/audio guy+director as they watched along/together with the crowd for Kyoani's "Liz and the Blue Bird" title.

-Met and played a round with the popular Card-fight Vanguard game creator. If U win U get a play-mat+an exclusive promo card.

-Got a free Latin dance lesson + Live Shikishi drawing from Polygon pictures and Studio IG during a promo event with the creative team for ボールルームへようこそ. The same team also did AOT. (Attack on Titan)

There are prolly a couple more but this post is getting too long & I'm not remembering it atm.:p

Will update later if I recall anything as I get some more free time to reflect.
Jeez you lucky people.

T. Lewis (illustrator of newspaper comic Over the Hedge) lives in my hometown. When I was a cashier at a store he’d come through my line, super friendly guy. He caught me drawing once so we bonded over that. Every time I was done ringing him up he’d encourage me to keep drawing and follow my dreams :LOL: His wife is really nice too.

The coolest thing I can think of is that a Japanese singer who was pretty famous in the 90s tweeted about the cover I did of one of his songs. He basically just said "an american? cool." so It's not that big a deal, but it made me happy.

@Rakim it wasn't Yamashita by any chance, was it?

EDIT*: (actually, don't think he was famous in the 90s lol, IIRC, it was before that!)

BTW, that photoshoot Yamashita did for Yakuza 6 (the one in your avatar), he looks so poor and downtrodden lol

generally i avoid actors etc because i feel, if they give me a dirty look etc, i probably would not be able to enjoy their films or whatever.

but.. i sold an item on ebay to the actor daniel betts.

met david shrigley (artist) in 2006 at a book signing at the tate modern. - sold the 2 signed books for around £200 a few years later. no one turned up so he was doing personalised doodles . he did one for me which i framed up. going by ebay prices probably worth 1k now.. but like i said, i sold it :rolleyes:

met the graffiti artist D*face in 2007/2008 at an art event. had a chat with him, seemed like a nice guy. - art galleries are full of unpleasant, snobby people.. one of the main reasons i don't go to them anymore.

several years ago, the actress who plays stacey from eastenders was sitting outside a coffee shop and when i had a double take and briefly looked at her, she looked away in disgust. lol

@Rakim it wasn't Yamashita by any chance, was it?

EDIT*: (actually, don't think he was famous in the 90s lol, IIRC, it was before that!)

BTW, that photoshoot Yamashita did for Yakuza 6 (the one in your avatar), he looks so poor and downtrodden lol
No, I might've fucked around and got famous if he was the one that mentioned me lol. This guy isn't nearly as famous as Yamashita Tatsuro. I should probably cover one of his songs just in case Yamashita-senpai blesses me with acknowledgement :LOL:

Yeah you're right he does look a little sad there. I didn't know the pic was from a Yakuza photoshoot though. Interesting.

Wow, well I'm truly shocked about that. All the Japanese people I've ever met have always been the kindest and most respectful by a long shot.

Well like I said; this is third hand impressions...I've never met the guy personally so I can't speak personally. I do trust my source though. My source is pretty reliable and the type of guy that doesn't really bullshit you.

But like I said, third hand impressions. On the one hand; I wasn't too shocked to hear it. But on the other, I was a bit bummed because I actually do like Kojima's games and it bummed me out a little to hear that the guy could be a dick.

generally i avoid actors etc because i feel, if they give me a dirty look etc, i probably would not be able to enjoy their films or whatever.

I tend to look at it this way. I can separate the person from their art. Roman Polanski is a perfect example. In my eyes, he is lower than scum based on the shit he pulled (raping a minor). BUT, I can't deny his talent in the fact that he made one of the greatest horror films ever made (Rosemary's Baby). Don't like him as a person; but can't deny the man has talent as a film maker either.

Last edited:
No, I might've fucked around and got famous if he was the one that mentioned me lol. This guy isn't nearly as famous as Yamashita Tatsuro. I should probably cover one of his songs just in case Yamashita-senpai blesses me with acknowledgement :LOL:

Yeah you're right he does look a little sad there. I didn't know the pic was from a Yakuza photoshoot though. Interesting.

You know what? I may be mistaken; the Ryu ga Gotoku photoshoot actually has him wearing a slightly chequered blue shirt, not the one in your picture.

However, your pic has him in a photoshoot that is DEFNITELY for Sobou and Atom no Ko, which were the tunes from the game.

I tend to look at it this way. I can separate the person from their art. Roman Polanski is a perfect example. In my eyes, he is lower than scum based on the shit he pulled (raping a minor). BUT, I can't deny his talent in the fact that he made one of the greatest horror films ever made (Rosemary's Baby). Don't like him as a person; but can't deny the man has talent as a film maker either.

Not to sound like some philosophy chump (I am a philosophy chump), but I've always been irritated by the genetic fallacy for this very reason. The example I like most: Imagine if Einstein weren't Jewish and were instead a great Nazi sympathizer, that wouldn't render his findings in general/special relativity inaccurate. Similarly, I know a girl who can't listen to any songs featured on mix tapes given to her. Same "irrelevance", although it's more psychologically understandable.

So too with famous folk and their talent: I suppose one can ask if it's worth financially supporting someone in that situation, but again, talent doesn't depend on moral niceties. If it does, we ought be consuming much less media on purported moral grounds.

Also, I forgot to mention I once met a couple of Pittsburgh Steelers through a friend at an overpriced eatery. I forget the names-- I'd consumed enough gin that it's better to say there was blood in my alcohol rather than vice versa-- but they were friendly. Sportsmen can be hit or miss: I was glad to see their dignified comportment.

Oh I just recalled also meeting the Xemnas VO for KH2 and getting a sig pic for a female relative who couldn't make the fan gathering event.

And sitting in on a light-hearted convo with Makai Shinto when he was attending AX to screen Your Name for the event.

Back