Epic Games CEO talks Shenmue 3

Nah, it would be absolutely idiotic for Valve to do this, since Epic would try to make them do the same for every previously crowd funded game they money hatted as an exclusive going forward. The precedent it would set is simply unacceptable. Its unreasonable as well. Epic and Deep Silver must stop trying to force the blame where there isnt any and stop trying to strong arm Valve into submission.
Well, you're right that the precedent is the exact reason Valve wouldn't want to do this. Unfortunately I can't really blame them.

Edit: Just saw you're edit. I agree that from a principled point of view it doesn't exactly sit well with me either, in the sense that Valve shouldn't have to kowtow and effectively bail DS and Epic out over their own mess. It's just an all around bad situation, it really sucks that it had to happen to Shemue 3 out of all games.

Last edited:
Hey Mr Epic, just pay for Shenmue 4 and everything will be forgiven :p

Nah! Personally, I don’t give a damn about buying Shenmue in the Epic Store or Steam, I have both accounts and I don’t see what the big deal is, I just want to play Shenmue 3.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way. As a PC gamer, I'm just grateful that the game is going to released on the PC platform and I don't have to go out and purchase a PS4 just for one game.

It would be the most logical option to please the majority.

Not for Valve.

Why clean up a mess you had no part in creating and for nothing in return?

Why allow a dev/publisher who chose a deal to exclude your store (with by far the biggest customer base), albeit temporarily, to generate free keys to take the heat away from it and a company trying to "compete" with you?

Why agree to support a game, updates, community pages, dlc, etc for free when it won't be sold on your platform for a year (at least)?

With Metro Exodus the situation was different - it had already been pre-ordered on Steam and therefore Valve was protecting its own customers. With Shenmue 3 it's not, it would simply be helping Epic and DS.

I'd also suggest that Valve agreeing to issue Steam keys to Epic/DS this time could encourage future devs/publishers to go down the same route of appearing to offer Steam keys to backers, setting up a storefront page to drive interest before taking an exclusivity deal at the last minute with the expectation that dissatisfied backers will be provided for by a third party with zero financial interest in doing so.

EDIT: Valve, if it does anything at all, should make an unequivocal statement that it will only generate keys for games sold on its store and that any devs/publishers suggesting otherwise should be held accountable directly. That would clear up the current confusion for everyone.

I may have missed something, but where did Sweeney say we should expect an update?

When the entire Shenmue fan base is taking Epic's CEO's word as gospel, that is when we know we are truly desperate for an update! It would be quite comical if it wasn't so sad.

I personally doubt we'll hear anything this week, given that all of Epic is in vacation for 2 weeks, and if they haven't found a resolution before that I would assume Epic still has a say into whatever resolution they draft.

I hardly believe that most Shenmue Fans are PC gamer. Yes the deal hurts the pc sales but I still think most fans of the series are console Gamers and not PC guys. Shenmue is a console game and not a PC game after all.

Writing the game off is way too early. There is also still the asian market left that does not care that much about Epic games.

I hardly believe that most Shenmue Fans are PC gamer. Yes the deal hurts the pc sales but I still think most fans of the series are console Gamers and not PC guys. Shenmue is a console game and not a PC game after all.

Writing the game off is way too early. There is also still the asian market left that does not care that much about Epic games.
I'd agree. The majority of sales will likely come from PS4 sales and judging on last weeks stay in the amazon top 10 things have started well on that front. Of course there will be loss of PC sales, no disputing that but I think the main bulk of sales will be on PS4. Especially now with these collectors and digital editions popping up.
When the entire Shenmue fan base is taking Epic's CEO's word as gospel, that is when we know we are truly desperate for an update! It would be quite comical if it wasn't so sad.

I personally doubt we'll hear anything this week, given that all of Epic is in vacation for 2 weeks, and if they haven't found a resolution before that I would assume Epic still has a say into whatever resolution they draft.
I wouldn't say we are taking his word as gospel. People are asking about the tweet etc. Would I wholly rule it out, no, but I'd not be shocked if we had no further word for a while. We've been in this game too long to realise that any word on Shenmue is gospel until anything official comes out. Reading the dojo history last night rammed that home once more.

Not so sure. Games on PC changed a lot these last years. I was used to be only a console gamer till the end of the previous generation (Xbox 360/PS3). Now I'm playing on PC, most of the games I'm interested in on console end up being available on PC, Pads are now fully compatible, games are less expensive. It's not a closed platform anymore, there are many different kind of games. Ironically, I bought consoles because I believed Shenmue 3 would release someday. And when I decided to stop buying consoles, Shenmue 3 is announced on PS4. :LOL: But I'll play it on PC! Need to change my old laptop though...

I think the number of PC gamers who are militantly against EPIC is fairly minor compared to the doom and gloom-styled posts here and elsewhere would lead you to believe. I'm sure a few hundred of these people will tank Shenmue 3's Metacritic score and continue making noise on the Steam forums and another forum I won't name, but I doubt they'll significantly impact anything. Will Shenmue 3 come across more people's computer monitors on Epic than on Steam? That's where sales will be lost for sure.

Probably time for all of us to start begging Tim Sweeney to personally finance Shenmue IV. Just kidding.

You people making this into a joke. If Tim Sweeney make a commitment to fund Shenmue IV and Shenmue V I would uninstall steam in an instant and install epic games client. (Even better if he also make Shenmue I & II available on epic games.)

Well, right now he probably think we're all a bunch of wack jobs, so we'd better start bowing down to him!

You people making this into a joke. If Tim Sweeney make a commitment to fund Shenmue IV and Shenmue V I would uninstall steam in an instant and install epic games client. (Even better if he also make Shenmue I & II available on epic games.)

This reminds me of all the times that Shenmue fans said they'd play 3 on any platform as long as the game was made. Now there are some fans boycotting it due to being on a certain launcher.

Even if Epic funded the rest of the Shenmue series, there will still be people out there shouting scam, conspiracy, etc.

It's not that it's a joke. But in the grand scheme of things? I've had young friends pass away from cancer, elders who have dementia, people who have died in shocking accidents, people who have been unable to find a good job for months or years, friends who have had children diagnosed with terminal illnesses, friends who we've lost to suicide, people who have survived abuse, people struggling with addictions, people who have lost their homes to natural disasters, the list goes on and on of things that are truly important and life-changing. It's hard for me to imagine anything that has to do with a video game being worth getting angry about, and staying angry enough about it to actually damage this place, which once felt like a sort of community but now is more like something that I would be a bit embarrassed to admit to people that I've been involved in. So yeah, it's not a joke but in life there's a saying which is "don't sweat the small stuff" and I have enough on my plate in real life to where no one can seriously expect me to join them in outrage about something so truly inconsequential. If this is an issue that someone can actually experience fury about, then I think they should consider getting down on their knees and thank a higher power for such a supremely carefree life. Don't like it? Use the ignore button. I sure have been.

Well, we are coming up on the end of June, so I guess the answer Tim is referring to will be communicated via our usual monthly Kickstarter update.

I don't care if they went on vacation, so long as the solution was communicated beforehand, which it seems to have been. It's been a long, hard road since E3-- I, for one, am just ready to see the end of it.

This reminds me of all the times that Shenmue fans said they'd play 3 on any platform as long as the game was made. Now there are some fans boycotting it due to being on a certain launcher.

Even if Epic funded the rest of the Shenmue series, there will still be people out there shouting scam, conspiracy, etc.

FACTS!!!!!!!!!

It's not a matter of which platform. Shenmue 3 was coming to Steam and the Steam page is one of the first pages on google search.

Back