Eric Van Allen from USgamer.net - E3 2019 Demo Hands On Impressions

Currently playing
SupCom FA, Rocket League, Football Manager, VF5, Myst-Riven
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/shenmue-3-feels-like-a-modern-dreamcast-game

Best part of the article IMO:
Shenmue 3 feels like a game made in a vacuum, like Yu Suzuki was in cryo-stasis for years and was woken up to make a new game. For some people, this is not a great thing. But for some folks, myself honestly included, it's a perfect pitch. You don't see the smoothing over of mechanics or interlocking gears of modern action-adventure games. Shenmue 3 preserves this smattering of game mechanics and features all bottled up in a single experience, in a way only the Yakuza games have been able to replicate over the last two decades.

Also an interesting bit there: "There is no map, so you're forced to use signposts and other physical objects in the world to understand where to go next."
This is contradicting what we saw in the IGN gameplay videos. Could that mean you have to buy maps like Shenmue 2?

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/shenmue-3-feels-like-a-modern-dreamcast-game

Best part of the article IMO:
Shenmue 3 feels like a game made in a vacuum, like Yu Suzuki was in cryo-stasis for years and was woken up to make a new game. For some people, this is not a great thing. But for some folks, myself honestly included, it's a perfect pitch. You don't see the smoothing over of mechanics or interlocking gears of modern action-adventure games. Shenmue 3 preserves this smattering of game mechanics and features all bottled up in a single experience, in a way only the Yakuza games have been able to replicate over the last two decades.

Also an interesting bit there: "There is no map, so you're forced to use signposts and other physical objects in the world to understand where to go next."
This is contradicting what we saw in the IGN gameplay videos. Could that mean you have to buy maps like Shenmue 2?
Yeah, one of the impressions mentioned you had to buy a map.

If any game is going to be review proof for me, its this one I guess. Watching/reading the more positive impressions basically all seem to mention that it very much feels like a Shenmue game, and a true sequel to Shenmue 2. Which pleases me to no end as I've always been curious what a Shenmue game would end up like in this day and age. So I'm happy to read that its basically the very close to how Shenmue 2 was.
Really, the only thing I'm not completely sold on is the hunger/stamina bar. So as long as that's not too intrusive, I can't think of anything that will stop me from loving this game.

Always irked me when articles/critics reference sailors..sigh..You just know they didn't give the series much chance after playing through the intro pretty much. Saying that, this article wasn't bad btw.
Yeah, as much as I like any Shenmue meme, the Sailor meme is definitely only a meme because a lot of people didn't make it past that part.

Yeah, as much as I like any Shenmue meme, the Sailor meme is definitely only a meme because a lot of people didn't make it past that part.

Sailors, forklifts...
That screams either only playing through one... Or parroting memes.

Back