Fact-checking the Shenmue III bedlam

I think I'm calling it quits. I don't like being ganged up on, especially when I've never insulted anyone on that site for anything they've posted. Thread policing and demanding my topics are locked or that I'm banned is just pathetic. I thought that fellow with the Sonic avatar was more rational when I saw his posts in the past, but I guess not!

Well, post content that allows for more discussion ;)

It really sucks that the negativity has become ingrained for folks there in regards to Shenmue. If the game flops and/or reviews poorly, it'll be full of people celebrating it ("it failed because no one wanted it," "The series has always sucked," "That's what they get for being anti-consumer").

Assembler is good too, although I haven't been there in a while.

Resetera is an echo chamber that thinks its a lot more important than it actually is. They thought Ghost Recon Wildlands and Days Gone were guaranteed flops ("where's the hype" threads every other day) then they both went on to be mega sellers. They have a hard time realising they are a niche site with no bearing on the general public. Its useful for up to date news but don't actually delve into the threads, it's like YouTube comments on steroids. I would love to know the average user age. I find it hard to believe many of those posters are actually fully grown adults.

Last edited:
Only took a few minutes for ResetEra to summarily dismiss the entire article. They really are a cesspit of cynicism over there.
People like them don't deserve our energy. As I implied in a past post before, there's no real point in posting at Resetera. It's a visual representation of the flaming trash that's "gamer culture."

Resetera is an echo chamber that thinks its a lot more important than it actually is. They thought Ghost Recon Wildlands and Days Gone were guaranteed flops ("where's the hype" threads every other day) then they both went on to be mega sellers. They have a hard time realising they are a niche site with no bearing on the general public. Its useful for up to date news but don't actually delve into the threads, it's like YouTube comments on steroids. I would love to know the average user age. I find it hard to believe many of those posters are actually fully grown adults.
IIRC, some of the people over there were also doubting the Nintendo Switch was going to sell well. We all saw where that prediction ended up at.

I know we sometimes get flack to trying to keep conversations in line with what the site stands for. That's fair enough, and we will still listen to criticism, to try and improve, but this:

An article highlighting facts, to help separate them from hivemind speculation and Kickstarter toxicity, is deemed as content that is not good discussion....

Facts and sensibility are not good discussion. Once again, simple facts/truth/maturity is not good discussion.

If there was ever an open declaration of the tone, climate and message that site wants to send, that's it. Deleted from my bookmarks, I mean, I'm shocked in a way lol. It's kinda like a myth busted.

Some of us here think the people at Resetera are children. While that may be true to a degree, it's also true there are a lot of immature adults "trolling teh webs" there that are 35+. At some point, we can't keep blaming some youth for the reactionary nature of their older peers vis-a-vis the Shenmue series.

At some point, after GAF downfall, I wanted to join ResetEra. I didn’t because a certified email was required. I’m so happy I’ve never joined. Locking that thread is more than pathetic. It’s sad and frightening to be honest. It’s like flat earth believers trying to close schools because they are teaching science and there isn’t room for discussion with science...

I only visit reset-era for the leaks/gaming news. Shenmue discussions are the only other thing I keep a tab on RE. Everything else is too toxic to touch/engage with imho. The only reason the industry gives them any inch is because some game devs/Press members are ascended Gaffers/Eras forum posters and indirectly promotes them via association. But the site is running a mile with this as a claim to "Credibility" so they can spew a lot of nonsense and get away with it.

Some of the stupidest shit I've seen were:

-Almost no-one knows or respect Yu Suzuki's legacy as a pioneer and influencer to modern gaming.
-Alot of them also thinks the Arcade Legacy has no importance/meaningful impact on console/PC gaming and was just a gimmicky old past-time fad.
- Some are ignorant/thinks Sega doesn't go past Megadrive/Genesis as a console maker.
-The one that took the cake for me was the cringy as heck post made by one member in a S3 update thread telling Yu Suzuki he needed to look into "Motion Capture" technology like it just had been invented recently or something for his game...yep, the guy who pioneered and introduced this tech with VF back in the 90's was just written off by this "Modern Gamer" with a straight face.

I've archived the page just in case it's ever deleted.

When it comes to the negativity surrounding Shenmue 3 if even an impartial fact based document can't convince them then nothing will. At that point, you're dealing with emotions, not reason and emotions are a lot more complicated than logic. What's done is done, the fanbase has been irrevocably divided over what Deep Silver did. All we can do now is move forward and ensure the success of Shenmue 3. I think @tomboz's idea is a great way to be proactive. It goes back to what I said about the fans still supportive of the franchise to be a force for positivity.

Don't forget the loyal fans are the one's who brought Shenmue back. We've shown how powerful we can be. Let's not squander all that's been achieved now in the eleventh hour. Like Yu-san once said...

Last edited:
From the ResetEra post said:
After going through the thread and article, the content posted isn’t allowing for good discussion. Feel free to make a thread on other Shenmue topics in the future that can allow for more discussion.

What the fuck does that even mean? "Good Discussion"??

Feel free to discuss Shenmue 3...but only if you discuss it in the (negative) light we all want to discuss it?

You know, no offence to anyone here, but I would expect this behavior from the super fans who just want to be positive about everything. And yet, on this very forum which is filled with super fans (come on, we all know we are), I have seen balanced back and forward conversations that doesn't always agree with one another, but at least have been respectful in said discussions. I very rarely see anyone shutting people down on this forum for "wrong think"...sure, we may show a bit of snark at times, but for the most part, in my short time here, I've seen nothing but respectful conversations even if we don't always agree.

Goes to show which one is the hive mind and which one at least offers freedom to discuss.

Last edited:
Surely if a topic is not creating "good discussion" you can just let it fade off the front page and disappear, like all the other topics that don't create "good discussion"? Who do they think they're fooling :sneaky: As soon as someone types the words "bad faith" and "dismissing concerns" over there, the mods start having heart palpitations. And you can bet half those commenters are smashing the report link as fast as they can, to shut down this side of the argument before it gains any traction...and it worked.

lol the guy with the Sonic avatar who was thread policing was just banned for a week. What goes around comes around
I've seen that dude get banned multiple times. He's a big member of the Dreamcast programming/homebrew community.

Back