Fan Games, Mods, Fan-translations or Fan-remakes you've enjoyed?

I played a German fan translation of Secret of Mana 2/Seiken Densetsu 3 on an SNES emulator way back in the early 2000s and enjoyed the fuck out of it.

II think that game wasn't officially available in the West before Trials of Mana came out.

Mother 3 is probably up there as the most professional translation I’ve seen. I’ve watched some of a Yakuza Kenzan translation but I’m not sure it was ever finished.

I didn’t care as much for PT as everyone else, but there have been some pretty interesting and accurate recreations. That and both RE7 and Visage seemed to spring off of it initially. Don’t really know many other completed fan remakes, I guess aside from the Metroid 2 one. Kinda have nostalgia about Ocarina of Time 2D - there was one made in RPG maker by this Dampe guy, but I also remember a really good one based on the Oracle games’ assets. Wish they’d been completeld.

As far as mods go, I haven’t used a whole lot, but things like being able to play as Pepsiman in Metal Gear Rising have been fun.

One of my favorites would be Lost Soul Aside by Yang Bing. It combines the stylish action of Devil May Cry with the teleporting mechanics of Final Fantasy XV. It was so good that Sony became involved as a publisher.

Though it's more of a demo than an actual video game, Sonic Project Hero shows that Sonic can work in 3D using the Adventure formula.

When it comes to modifications, I tend to prefer ones that either translate a game or uncensor it. Usually, this is due to the game not being localized or being a victim of what I like to call "Econoship" where a piece of media is censored so it will sell better in another market. An example of this would be Fire Emblem Fates.

When it comes to modifications, I tend to prefer ones that either translate a game or uncensor it. Usually, this is due to the game not being localized or being a victim of what I like to call "Econoship" where a piece of media is censored so it will sell better in another market. An example of this would be Fire Emblem Fates.

Ah, yes I also remember the same was done for Tokyo Mirage. The fan restoration actually restore the integrity of the "Gravure" plot -line ninty force atlus to censure.

The hilarious "Downsizing+Cover" the bewbies controversy was a highlight.
1612723239184.png

Another thing about fire emblem...Kaga(Original creator who's been Sidelined by Ninty Ninjas[lawyers]) taking his original vision for FE series with him and creating "Spiritual clones" with revised scripts is a godsend for those who prefer the classics. Thank god they were fan-translated too. Quality STRPGs.

Technically, it's, "a game made by fans," but not really a, "fangame in the original title's canon," (as it is the only title), but Katawa Shoujo was definitely a wonderful time had by myself and so much love+effort went into the game, it really shows just how talented a community can be.

For pure entertainment value, Vietnamese Pokémon Crystal makes me bust a gut laughing every single time I see it/read it. A complete disaster, but a complete round of hilarity!

I haven't tried the translation for Policenauts yet, but I do have a Japanese copy! lol

3 more notable mention I'd like to toss into the pile is Valkyrie Chronicle 3, FM5, & Last Ranker.

VC3 is the non-localized missing third entry Sega still won't give us so fans translated it for them.

FM5 is Square's mistake the fans cleaned up.

and Last Ranker is Capcom's "Final"(?) Traditional RPG from the OG BOF team(Before being canned). So fans localized it unofficially for the west cuz Capcom won't do it.

all 100% completed as of late.

Back