[FANFICTION] Me & Yu Suzuki: Best Friends or The REAL source of Shenmue story

Seaman

ネットやろうぜ
Some years ago, in one of my usual trips to Japan, I found this Virtua Fighter 2 arcade with no one playing at it.
I had to give it a go so tossed in a coin. It was me as Jeffry vs. CPU Lau when someone yelled at my ear:
"NOOOOO, you're doing it all WRONG!" and then pushed me away from the controls adding "Gimme! Gimme! It's MIIIIINE!
I was all like "Hey, dude! what's your prob..." when I realized my arcade attacker was a middle-aged japanase man who
continued yelling "I MADE THIS! Behold! See that name in the marquee?", he pointed with his foot while still playing (and winning)
"That's ME, you WORM! Now get outtahere!" the last part was very quick, barely like "nagetata're!" spitting saliva like a rabid dog.
I bended in a reverence and peacefully retreated to a vending machine next to us and bought a can of coke.

"Suzuki-sense! Suzuki-sense!" I said to him with servant voice. He looked at me with a questioning look in his eyes.
"Sumimasen, Suzuki-sense, accept this for cooling your engine. Is the least I can do for you, the ultimate Virtua Fighter, its an honor
to be arcadebullied by you, Suzuki-sense!"
Reverenced him once more, but this time I stayed bended like a lot while also making anime character-like sounds when in disconfort/distress "ungh, grunt,arf, eegh" until I eventually heard him say: "Please... Enough. I said enough". That's how our friendship begun.

He invited me to his house and showed me Virtua RPG and The Oldman & Peach Tree prototypes. Not just a single build but many many ones with lots of changes between build dates. And Yu Suzuki, haha that Yu what a guy... aaaall the time commenting me the inners and changes XD
He was all like "Let me explain you this, this is very interesting, tnis concept..." and me like "booooring!" and he "it's important you understand the details!" XD
For example, he reavealed me a neat thing "SEGA forced me contractually to state Ryo was based in my persona. Gradually I started teasing that he only had some features of my personal life" and if it wasn't enough that revelation "The racing duck. That's who I am. That character is my very own soul written into a videogame. Let's kick some asses!"

So at one point I finally manage to formule one of my existential Shenmue development mysteries, "So, Suzuki-sense... Why did you really..."
"STOP" He interrumpts me "Stop that sensei formalism! You are my brother!" I smiled very happy and he added "Yuki! From now on you call me Yuki as my best friends do". So I reformuled more comfy "So tell me Yuki, why did you REALLY decided to scrap the Virtua arc for such an Opera Magna..."
He misteriously smiled and noded the head as yes, like knowing where I was going.
"...I mean, with SEGA aware of the finantial risk, the budget increasing... you toss out a cast rooted with the audience, selling its own merchandise really well, in favour of new ones with no root at all for starters? Going that hard path of making brand new bios/profiles instead of logical recycling?!"
He continued smiling and nodding just increasing my anxiety to know the answer.
"Oh Yuki-san c'mon!" I said "Yuki-san, buddy, C'MON!"
"THERE HAS to be a big and unknown reason for THAT!!" I sustained this sentence over a loop of two minutes with the exact same tone every time,
probably a pitch higher the last one. I even played a little cocky, snapping my fingers at his face like this "There must be, huh, doesn't it?"
Finally he answers: "Yes, I agree it was a risky move, proven brave and correct with the passing of time, by the way."

His mood went dark and with it the whole room, I swear to god. "And Yes... There was a big reason still keep in secret.
I made a discovery in my trip to China, unrevealed to the masses...
Which changed all. It was clear as crystal that was the path to follow rather than Akira Yuki story... When I shared my discovery with SEGA president,
he said shaking... Yu, do it. Change it all. He gave me his blessings. How can he choose not to? Impossible".

I was freezed in the room. The biggest Shenmue development revelation of all time since the Saturn prototype or Old Man demo.
Suddenly it felt like I was going to faint, it was some kind of sthendal syndrome but then master Yu Suzuki retreated a little and said after a brief silence "As you know, I have some agreements to keep secret some SEGA in-house information and I shared with you a lot already"
Naturally my answer was "Yes! Of course! and Im very grateful for it, sensei! Let's skip topic!" and he goes "BUT... since you bought me that can of coke, I'll spit the beans for ya... I was in Kowloon when I met...".

Oh sorry this post just got too long. Lemme know if you're curious about this very true story.

Back