Fangmei Disappearing?

So I have finally gotten around to playing Shenmue II on PS4. Around the time where I was supposed to meet at the Dou Jiang diner Fangmei would only answer questions about restaurants. I tried this day after day and could not get the dialogue to change, so I decided I would take the easy way and lose the fight in Lotus Park.

Following the loss I went to trigger the Eileen sequence. I defeated her in the arcade then saw her and Fangmei at the Blue Sky diner while making the Chawan sign. The next morning Fangmei calls me Hazuki San (instead of Ryo) upon waking me up. From here she no longer shows up anywhere on the map.

I try the Man Mo Bistro where she should be having lunch with Eileen, but she isn’t there. I get her to reappear for the Man Mo Bistro fight scene on the day I met Joy in the Lucky Charm Qtr (she calls me Ryo), but when I look for her after she is nowhere to be found. I even went to the temple for the picture scene, but it’s just Shiquan holding a camera taking a picture of no one. Did Fangmei glitch out of the game with the PS4 port? Is this a common problem? Please help!

There is a known bug that can get both Eileen and Fangmei stuck in the Blue Sky Beer Garden in Aberdeen.

There are a number of bugs with Fangmei:
  1. In the re-release (possibly others, but I've only had it happen in the re-release), completing airing out the books and getting the move scroll from Hanhui can cause Fangmei to despawn from the world. Seems to happen most often when you finish between 11:30 and 11:45.
  2. In the re-release (again, possibly others, but I've only had it happen in the re-release), sometimes annoying Fangmei by giving her the wrong answer to one of her questions makes her permanently ignore you and refuse to ask you any more questions. She'll only answer quest-related enquiries from then on.
  3. In the Xbox and re-release versions of the game, losing the fight in Man Mo Park despawns Fangmei from the world. If you've already talked to Eileen at this point, you can't bring her back without restarting/loading a save file. Otherwise, after losing the fight, Fangmei will reappear in Man Mo Bistro the day after you first talk to Eileen.
  4. In all versions of the game, performing the Chawan sign in Blue Sky Garden causes Fangmei and Eileen to stay permanently at Blue Sky Garden.
  5. In the Xbox and re-release versions of the game, after talking to Fangmei a bit, quit and start a new game (without closing the game or loading a save). Play through in one session until you meet Fangmei and... her progression will be exactly where it was when you quit, even though it's a completely new game.

If you need a guide, here's this post again:

Fangmei:

Start Disc 2 of Shenmue II (i.e. start airing out the books) by February 25th. It's possible to complete the birthday sidequest starting later, but this gives you best results on all versions of the game. After airing out the books, talk to Fangmei. Walk away from her, and then walk towards her, and let her start a conversation with you. Many conversations have choices to make, and answering "wrong" will make her stop talking to you, but if you're paying attention the wrong answer should be obvious. Do this about 5-6 times every day.

February 27th: you should be at the point in the story where you can do Chawan signs. Do a Chawan sign at Man Mo Bistro, and follow the directions to Come Over Guest House and then Man Mo Park. Lose the QTE and fight; Xiuying will save you and Fangmei will look after you - this significantly raises her affection level for you. On the Xbox version (and possibly the re-release), Fangmei will not be around after this event.

February 28th: Go to Pigeon Park and talk to Eileen. From tomorrow onwards, both her and Fangmei (even if she previously disappeared) will be in Man Mo Bistro until 1:30pm.

March 1st: Go to Man Mo Bistro and talk to Fangmei and Eileen. Wait outside for the pair to leave, and then follow Eileen until she stops to look at some pots. Talk to her and you'll learn that Fangmei's birthday is on March 3rd.

March 2nd: Repeat the procedure, but this time follow Fangmei. When she passes Complete Clothier, a cutscene will play; head inside the store and buy her a present (for $150 - make sure you have the money!).

March 3rd: Head to Da Yuan Apartments and give her the present.

On your last day in Hong Kong: Head to Da Yuan Apartments and get a very special cutscene. Doing this will also give you a bonus cutscene at the end of the Kowloon part of the game.

Extra: On your first day of airing out the books, don't speak to anyone - just waste the entire day buying capsule toys. On the following day you'll get a cutscene with Fangmei where she tells you the Wulinshu is in the Man Mo Temple library.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, head there anytime after 1:30pm for a unique QTE with Fangmei.

Extra: After speaking to Fangmei and Eileen at Man Mo Bistro, do the Chawan sign at Blue Sky Garden for a cutscene with them. They will not be around after this event (so make sure you do it on or after March 3rd).

Extra: After the fight in Dou Jiang Diner, go to the back of Man Mo Temple for yet another cutscene featuring Fangmei.

Thank you for suggestions. I guess it could be either finishing the books between 11:30-11:45 that did it, or the blue sky garden cutscene. However, I did go back and check the blue sky garden and they are not there. I’ll load a save from a few days ago and follow the guide.

Back