Favorite areas

Funny, I recently found the Mark III. Dunno if it is always the same--or in multiple rooms. If memory serves, I might've noticed in a couple years back, but not for certain.

My favourite area from the first game is Dobuita. While I really appreciate, and often find myself captivated by, the tranquillity of Yamanose and Sakuragaoka, along with the Harbour's stark industrial juxtaposition, I just love everything about the make-up of Dobuita; the cosiness, the sense of community, the hustle-and-bustle, the layout, the variety, the authenticity; everything. Fucking love that shit, and they nailed it. It's easily the top location in a video game I would love to visit in real life.

My favourite area from Shenmue II is a toss-up between Wise Men's Qr. and Rocky Area. Wise Men's Qr. because of the twisty-turny, tight-knight streets and visual design; and Rocky Area because it's just so striking and un-Shenmue-like.

I can't pick a favorite honestly. All I can do is pick a least favorite, which would probably be the old warehouse district. Just really nothing to see there for such a big area... but obviously was designed that way for the stealth section...

Quite opposite for me; I make extra calls to Gui Zhang even after the two scrolls just to explore the Old Warehouse district because I love it so much. Also, White Dynasty in Wan Chai, Kowloon in general, the Forest in particular for Guilin on first day between those two river rock QTEs, after the first landslide. The trees are gigantic and old and gorgeous to my eye. Very close second there is the spider tree.

latest

Talking about the big picture I would pick Kowloon. It's an exciting place.

More specific areas would be Sakuragaoka and the Hazuki Residence in 1. Sakuragaoka gives me that feel of the small town in Japan with all its quirks. Ryo's house is just a nice area to explore, with all the details in it. The garden with the fish, the cherry tree and even that deer scaring thing in it. And of course the dojo with the basement.

In 2 I would pick Wise Men's Qr and Shenhua's House. Wise Mens Qr is a wonderful busy place, Shenhua's House is the opposite. It's nice and quiet. I just love that view from the cliff and the big shenmue tree in it, it's the place I would pick for a house too.

s1 I'd say the harbor - it really captures that gritty industrial 80s vibe and the feeling of progress that I miss from that time period
honorable mention to the arcade

s2 has gotta be the 5 stars corp - that anticipation of finding about zhu after everything and all the cool stuff in there
honorable mention to beverly hills wharf

So much has already been said above, and it is really hard to choose just one. I have always loved Shenmue I's atmosphere...I think going about the story in such a familiar area to Ryo is brilliant, and really draws the player in. How he knew most of the shopkeepers, a lot of the pedestrians, etc. Shenmue II is amazing in the sense that is unknown to Ryo and just so huge. I think the only SEGA game to rival Shenmue II's in game map is Yakuza 5, and even that game has all five playable areas separated by in game transportation/story elements. Shenmue II's Hong Kong is just gigantic. Kowloon is large as well, but doesn't match the combined Aberdeen and Wan Chai in size/scope.

For Shenmue II, I like Kowloon. The story that happens here, plus the general grit and grime make it feel so real.

It is absolutely real. There are two in the Moon Child Bldg, sitting in rooms 309 and 903.
There is also one on the normally unaccessible floors of the Yellow Head Bldg in room 2017.

wow!
Literally i checked every room in the whole buildings of the city and i never noticed that!

after alot of thought, there is many places, but top atmosphere has to be Manpukuku Ramen and the Harbour cafeteria.
You can really smell it here, it really captured what Yu Suzuki was aiming for I feel.

after alot of thought, there is many places, but top atmosphere has to be Manpukuku Ramen and the Harbour cafeteria.
You can really smell it here, it really captured what Yu Suzuki was aiming for I feel.

That place always made me hungry for some ramen. Am I the only one who goes to a sushi place or ramen place and imagine I am in Yokosuka?

Tough to choose i can really appreciate the scenery and contrast of Guilin but in more specific cases i love the mystery and aura of the Hazuki Dojo basement and also Nagai Industries for the bad ass music.

In terms of big areas? Yokosuka hands down. Intricately detailed and holds nothing back. Part of this is because of the things Shenmue has that Shenmue II doesn't (NPC daily routines, shops opening/closing, cassettes to listen to, people to call etc.) but it makes Yokosuka feel incredibly real.

Guilin is an amazing experience for almost the opposite reason - there's nothing to do but walk, talk, and take in the scenery. But it's such a serene and peaceful journey and the perfect cooldown after Yellow Head Bldg.

In terms of smaller areas, Sakuragaoka has this really comfortable homely feel about it, complete with the local sweet shop every kid goes to. Worker's Pier really gives me that Hong Kong vibe; Golden Qr. has a ton of things to do and is probably where I'd spend most of my time in real life; and Wise Men's Qr. is a great duck racing track.

Blue Dragon Garden is probably my favourite area in Kowloon. Just an amazing view and really gives you a sense of how self-contained the city is.

Its gotta be Kowloon. So big, so much to explore, so much to do, and the parts of the story that take place there are all awesome. I love all the different buildings and how you can go inside every single room, the street fights are a lot of fun, the Yuan sneaking mission. And who could forget ascending up the Yellow Head building and fighting Dou Niu on the rooftop against that sunset background with that epic music. Not only is this my favorite part of Shenmue, its probably my favorite part of any video game ever.

In S1 I'd have to say Dobuita is my favourite. I remember it seemed so vast for a game at the time and with so much vibrancy and activity. I used to love it when it was raining and I would just take shelter from the rain in Nozomi's flower shop. In S2 I'd have to say South Carmain quarter as you could check in with Jianmin plus I always liked the lucky hit boards there.

Shenmue 1: The Harbour. Distinctly remember the thrill I felt firing up Disc 2 and realising I had a whole new location to explore (plus that opening is just amazeballs). Breaking into Warehouse No. 8 and being tasked to find the Phoenix Mirror are standout memories from that game.

Shenmue 2: Kowloon & Guilin. The whole rooftop fight sequence and finally meeting bloody Shenhua whose been on the box art since Game 1 were spine-chillingly great moments.

Nothing will ever beat Guilin and Dobuita/entire home area of Shenmue 1. So immersive.

SI: Hazuki residence, the stories and back flashes taking place there just, yeah. Heart ache. And with the everyday things it's just perfect.

SII: Kowloon, hands down. Love the story there as well, and we get to hang out with Ren (meow). Hated some of the "cross this plank" scenes at the time, but remember doing them as if it was yesterday eighteen years later so something must have stuck. Soft spot for Man Mo Temple, teared up seeing it irl.

Dobuita in S1 and definitely Kowloon in S2. I went to Hong Kong once just to see that small memorial patch of Kowloon Walled City. It was worth it!

Dobuita in S1 and definitely Kowloon in S2. I went to Hong Kong once just to see that small memorial patch of Kowloon Walled City. It was worth it!
Definitely worth it! And yet, I must admit I was a little bit disappointed there was like nothing left. Not that today's Kowloon isn't exciting and pretty and someplace to explore. It is.

Back