Favorite Shenmue moments

BruceWayne911

Arm Break Fire (➡️⬅️⬅️ 👐)
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Kiwami 2
What are your favorite Shenmue moments? You can list them all at once or spread them out.

One if my favorite moments comes from Shenmue 1 when Tom teaches Ryo the tornado kick. This scene always makes me happy. Another good martial arts tutorial plus Tom's rhythmic personality makes this one of my favorite moments in Shenmue. It's also very touching as Tom reveals to Ryo he'll be leaving for the states. Very moving IMO😁

There are far too many to list, so I'll just stick with the two that instantly spring to mind:

- Taking a stroll through the harbour on a rainy day in the first Shenmue .
- Hiking through Guilin with Shenhua in Shenmue 2.

Very simplistic but very theraputic. These are the kind of things I love so much about the franchise.

In the first Shenmue, going through the basement and investigating all the items down there gave the impression that there could be much more to this story than initially thought, and there was a lot you didn't know about your father. And of course the atmosphere was great.

In Shenmue II, it's tough to narrow the list so I'll just say pretty much all of the teaching moments were memorable, especially from Xiuying. Then of course the flashback with Dou-Niu was spine chilling and all of Guilin was serene. If an indie studio made the Guilin chapter within the past 5-10 years, everyone would be hyping it up as a huge "games as art" moment.

There's so many to list and instead of highlighting the usual suspects, I did want to highlight the scene where the harbour bum Shozo Mizuki teaches Ryo the Shadow Step move. I always cherished these moments in the original game where Ryo was instructed to learn a new move and the combination of the cinematography, music and direction is really well done-

I'll do one for each game.

Shenmue 1: Helping the old lady who can't see read the names on the houses. Always stuck out as a representation of the wholesome small town backdrop of the 1st game to me.

Shenmue 2: hiiiide in the closet. hiiiiide in the closet.

Shenmue 3: honestly not too many memorable moments here, but meeting that old guy with the stupid mustache that saw the emperor's people coming to get phantom river stone when he was a kid was kinda cool. he's the kind of character i would want to meet if i was ever actually in a chinese mountain village. he's sort of a d-bag, but in an entertaining way lol

I'll pick a few for each
Shenmue 1: winning my first fork lift race, beating Chai in the arcade and the motorbike journey home with Nozomi.

Shenmue 2: Lan Di on the helecopter, walking around the Wise Mens quarter for the first time, first perfect book carrying day and walking into the area where all the students are doing kata.

Can't tell you many dozens of times i say THIS IS MY FAVORITE SCENE while playing any of the three games.

Too tough to call!

I was thinking what would qualify as my favourite Shenmue II moments, and I came up with the following (again, in no particular order):

1. Master Zhoushan reading the letter written to him by Zongquan

2. The Lucky Charm Qr. market QTE sequence

3. Chunyan getting her comeuppance

4. The cutscene that occurs after defeating Master Baihu

5. Lan Di and Ryo's encounter atop the Yellow Head Building

6. The latter part of the ending cutscene, while pretty silly and out-of-place, still gives me frisson account of its grandness

S1: The bike ride back with Nozomi after she's rescued.

S2: After Ryo gets to Yuanda Zhu's office and see's Ren had taken an easier way up. His expression is priceless

S2 once more: shut up or i'll bust your face!

S3: Haven't got that far to say

Back