Favourite SEGA Games?

That's the only thing I'm not clear on; do they?

I think maybe once Climax went out of the business, the IP was moved over to Sega (or something; I don't have knowledge or info on how that works), but Sega never had a hand in development or creation of the game.

From what I can see on VERY quick and surface-scratching research, it looks like the Shining IP was acquired at some point.

That's the only thing I'm not clear on; do they?

I think maybe once Climax went out of the business, the IP was moved over to Sega (or something; I don't have knowledge or info on how that works), but Sega never had a hand in development or creation of the game.

From what I can see on VERY quick and surface-scratching research, it looks like the Shining IP was acquired at some point.
Don't know about Climax, but Bayonetta is Sega IP almost 100% sure

Then lets tell them to realese them in PC too, god damnit! :crying:
The problem with Bayonetta 2, as far as I know, is that is a game licensed to Nintendo I asume they have some kind of agreement of exclusivity. It is pretty similar to the Shenmue 3 or the Wonder Boy ones

The problem with Bayonetta 2, as far as I know, is that is a game licensed to Nintendo I asume they have some kind of agreement of exclusivity. It is pretty similar to the Shenmue 3 or the Wonder Boy ones
Yea I know, the fact it's that Nintendo's exclusives are always Nintendo exclusives. Never on pc, and I suppose Bayonetta 3 will be the same.

I can't afford a Switch only to play two Bayonettas, Astral Chain and Fire emblem :crying:

I was always a Sega fanboy. What distinguished Sega was the variety and quirkiness of their titles. Nintendo certainly made grand revolutionary innovations, but I always felt that Sega took more risks and I was happy to benefit from that.

Other than Shenmue, my absolute favorite Sega game is Jet Set Radio. Jet Set Radio Future is a fine game, but I didn't like the simplified tagging mechanics in Future, or the removal of secret pathways that connected areas.

The original Jet Set Radio, to me, stands alongside Shenmue as one of the most underrated games of all time. A true masterpiece of game creation.

Also, for me, the first Sonic the Hedgehog is still the best. I like that the game isn't going 100 miles an hour all of the time, and the soundtrack one of the best ever.

Yea I know, the fact it's that Nintendo's exclusives are always Nintendo exclusives. Never on pc, and I suppose Bayonetta 3 will be the same.

I can't afford a Switch only to play two Bayonettas, Astral Chain and Fire emblem :crying:

I don't know all of the ins and outs of the deal, but Bayonetta 3 is in development only for Switch, as well.

If you ever do get a Switch, don't miss out on Super Mario Odyssey-it is a true joy to play. AND if you haven't already played Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze on the Wii U, pick it up if you ever get a Switch. It is THE best 2D platformer ever made. Brilliant game.

Don't know about Climax, but Bayonetta is Sega IP almost 100% sure

Found it under Kamiya's Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideki_Kamiya

Bayonetta is Sega's IP, but is not Sega's CREATION.

To me, that makes it NOT a Sega game or franchise.

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlatinumGames

Until they DEVELOP one of these games, they aren't Sega games, especially since they simply bought a license and had nothing to do with conceptualization, planning, coding, etc.

Mmm so F-Zero GX is not a Nintendo game since it was developed by Sega? Or Outrun 2 being developed by Summo Digital? It is a thin line, actually, but in Bayonetta's case without Sega's money and approval of the project it would not exist, actually without Sega investing in those 3 projects back in the day who knows what Platinum would be doing today :/

Indeed, Sega allowed Platinum to get the projects off the ground, from what I've read.

Otherwise, they were a no-go.

Indeed, F-Zero GX is a Sega game, as it was almost all of Nagoshi and his team creating it (it's why it's the best in the series :D)

OutRun 2 was developed by Sega, wholly. The port was done by Sumo, for Xbox, which has been going on since the 80s (Ghouls 'n Ghosts is a Capcom game, but the Genesis port was done by Sega, by Yuji Naka actually, IIRC, Manx TT Superbike was developed jointly between AM3 and AM4 {probably due to the cabinet}, but the Saturn port was done by Tantalus Interactive, etc.), so no surprise.

Funnily enough, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing is technically not a Sega game, as it was indeed developed by Sumo... but it is a Sega property (obviously lol).

For the Paltinum stuff specifically, I think it would've been part of the initial agreement/deal to assume IP control, for fronting the money; it would've been the same thing if DS got the IP for 'mue for fronting the extra publishing cash for 'mue III (thankfully, it didn't go down that way lol), which is probably why the whole IP debate over certain franchises is murky.

Hence why I stick to who developed it ;)

I think if it's Sega's IP, it's property of Sega and it should be allowed to this thread.

So add for me Bayonetta as my favourite game :D

Other than Shenmue, my absolute favorite Sega game is Jet Set Radio. Jet Set Radio Future is a fine game, but I didn't like the simplified tagging mechanics in Future, or the removal of secret pathways that connected areas.

The original Jet Set Radio, to me, stands alongside Shenmue as one of the most underrated games of all time. A true masterpiece of game creation.

You and me both. I like Future, but the original had so much more challenge to it. Especially trying to get those Jet Rankings. Yeah, Future was tighter in its controls, but I really like the challenge of the original game so much more.

So why nobody say Persona? Dont you guys like Persona 5?

I don't like the genre, but I recognize that it seems an amazing game and I should give it a chance, and totally would be a top 3 for me.

No, not at all...I love Persona...but I guess I tend to think of it more as an Atlus IP rather than a SEGA IP...even though SEGA own it now...it's still just an Atlus property to me.

When I think Sega, I kinda think of the golden years of SEGA to be honest. The Super Scaler years or Model 2 games, those are the games that truly define SEGA to me.

But I do love Persona...I just tend to think of it more as an Atlus IP rather than a SEGA IP. Even if SEGA do own it.

You can have it here if you want but for me, when I think SEGA, I just tend to think of SEGA's Golden Age.

Back