Favourite Video Game Endings

What are some of yours? Obviously some potential spoilers in this so I recommend starting each one with a heading so others can skip it if they want.

Mine, in order of the time they were release.

Shenmue II

I mentioned in a previous thread that the original Shenmue games were so good because their characters were so well done and that meant you had feeling towards them. Despite appearing in the game for probably no more than 10 minutes in total, I hated Lan Di and could not wait to get my hands on him. After you have battled your way up the Yellow Head building only to realise you missed Lan Di by mere seconds, I was pissed off as Ryo would be if this was real life. Not angry at the game, but annoyed this murderous bastard got away. Having an entire epilogue to finish of the game is something I don't think I had seen until Shenmue. The fact there was an entire disc that acted as the ending was amazing and to this day it is one of my favourite endings (though I do skip through it in subsequent playthroughs)

Halo

This is one of my favourite ever games. I loved the monotone nature of the game. Completed it with my brother (loved the fact they through in co-op because it was simply a fun thing to do even though it did not add up story wise) and remember finishing this part with seconds to spare.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Every now and again I watch this and admire how well it was done. You know an ending is great when you satisfied with the ending and don't want a sequel. Just wraps everything up and I love the last detail when Big Boss drops his cigar.

I was initially gonna try to go for a top ten but there are just too many I feel I’d be leaving out, so I’ll just try to stick to some of my favorite devs or writers. Needless to say there will be spoilers ahead.

First and foremost, probably Kirby 64, even if just for the fact the credits really pushed me to want to get better at drawing. The overall story wasn’t anything amazing, since it’s well a Kirby game, but it’s just incredibly charming and I’m glad they’ve continued doing cutscenes and music in the same fashion.

From the same folks, there’s both Earthbound and Mother 3, the latter of which I feel is just on another level. A bit confusing and ambiguous but I really like that direction.

Similarly, Undertale was pretty good. Not as groundbreaking but it didn’t really need to be.

As far as other RPGs go, while the story wasn’t amazing or anything I do prefer when Pokemon was a bit more toned down; I really like gen 2 dealing with what was left of Team Rocket which was still cartoony but still sinister, a rival that is actually not just some friend to you, what happened in Kano years later, and ultimately facing the previous protagonist at the top of mt. Silver. Really nice.

Final Fantasy 6 and 10 I’m familiar with but not exactly fresh in my memory. Chrono Trigger I really liked despite having some trouble with some side quests and a glitch effecting the ending for me unfortunately.

I have a hard time deciding between Nier and Nier Automata and just think they are both amazing in their own ways. Drakengard 3 was a bit harder to get into but, while I agree the last fight is kinda bs, I still love it as one of my favorite final sequences.

There’s the team Ico games. Didn’t personally play much of Ico but I understand it’s good in its own right. Shadow of the Colossus is great in making me question in what was really right or wrong. However The Last Guardian has been the only game to make me cry, music being one big part of it aside from the bond between the boy and Trico.

Zelda games, I enjoyed quite a few from Link’s Awakening to Ocarina of Time to Skyward Sword. My favorite game of all time might be Wind Waker but as far as the actual credits and final scenario go, I have to give a very slight edge to Majora’s Mask.

No More Heroes’ ending has become kind of classic for me. I’d say the same for Travis Strikes Again but the extra dlc kind of ruins the structure of it. Really loved Flower Sun and Rain, Silver Case. Not sure what to think of 25th Ward. I do love Killer7’s really abstract crazy stuff the most out of these even if not by much.

Red Dead Redemption was great, but the sequel just outpaced it with it’s admittedly slow but deep epilogue. It’s not on the same level but I feel I should also mention San Andreas. I didn’t like the ending of GTAIV much but ending on the Ballad of Gay Tony kind of fixed it for me.

Yakuza is kind of hot and miss for me and I haven’t even experienced half the series but the ending to 6 had me really emotional and wasn’t anywhere near as convoluted as some of the other plots.

Thing is, I feel like with them bringing Kiryu back for 7 kind of makes all this have less impact unless he’s only some non canon bonus or something. I really hope he’s not super involved in the story.

Lastly there’s some Platinum/Clover stuff, particularly Okami with its theme of resolve but also just God Hand and its dumb shenanigans.

Golden Axe: One of the first games I beat on my own, super memorable and love Sukatora Sassa!

Final Fight CD: My favourite console game ever, also memorable and with some humour.

'mue II: Needs no introduction, of course.

Grandia II: Loved the Epilogue and the way everything is tied together, makes it awesome, which leads me to...

Lunar: Eternal Blue: The animators did a wonderful job conveying just how happy Lucia would've been... by far one the 5 best RPGs ever made and I will fight you to the death if you disagree!

Astal: the reveal is just so awesome and the ending tugs at the heartstrings.

Formula One World Championship: Beyond the Limit: Between the incredible music track, he images from the 1993 season and just all that went into it, no F1 fan can resist.

Yakuza 3: Seeing Kiryu just tugs on your heartstrings as well...

Ryu ga Gotoku 6: This one tore me up too, not because Kiryu's gone (well... we'll see in a month or so), but because Haruto is just so happy to see Kiryu again, but he can't talk and tell everyone that it's him; it's a brilliantly-written and directed scene.

Surely there are more, but can't think of any right now :$

'mue II: Needs no introduction, of course.

Yakuza 3: Seeing Kiryu just tugs on your heartstrings as well...

Ryu ga Gotoku 6: This one tore me up too, not because Kiryu's gone (well... we'll see in a month or so), but because Haruto is just so happy to see Kiryu again, but he can't talk and tell everyone that it's him; it's a brilliantly-written and directed scene.

Surely there are more, but can't think of any right now :$

First time I played Y3...I thought for sure he was dead. So I was god damn happy to see him post credits next to Haruka at the orphanage. I worry that they're going to retcon Y6...I really do. I hope not. I hope his appearance in Y7 is either during his active time or he is at least still in hiding and only making select appearances. I'll be really bummed if they retcon Y6's ending and bring him back out of the shadows. If they do that, it'll be another Y4 of showing me they have no confidence in continuing this series without him. I love Kiryu but I'm ready for him to be done and ready to move on with the new protag and a new direction. So I was a bit disappointed to see him show up in that Y7 trailer when it looked like they really were ready to move on from him. Again, I hope it makes sense and I hope it doesn't retcon Y6's ending. But as you said, will see in a month.

But I agree with Y3 and Y6. Having just replayed through Y3, it doesn't quite have the same impact but I still love it none the less. And I really love the bittersweet Y6 ending.

Shenmue II -- that goes without question. Although, I might say I like the original games ending just a tad bit more. I like the final moments of Shenmue when the music kicks in as the boat leaves the pier and heads for Hong Kong. Just sets up the grand scale of adventure that is to come (the classic "hero departing his hometown and heading out into the big bad world in the name of adventure" feeling)

Shadow of the Colossus -- Brought me to tears when I first played it on the PS2 way back when. I did not expect that game to move me as much as it did. But god damn, that ending was heavy. The combination of Kow Otani's music alongside the visuals was stunning. But what got me most about that ending (and the thing that always gets me with Team Ico's games) is the way it balances despair and optimism. By the very ending, I went from bordering on tears to complete and utter stunned silence processing what it was I just saw. Stunning game, still the best of the three games they've made so far.

The Last Guardian -- I did well up a little but nowhere near as much as how Shadow got me. But I will admit I did tear up a little come the end.

Metal Gear Solid 3 -- The final salute is still my favorite moment of the entire MGS series. Again, the combination of Harry Gregson Williams Score with that final Salute just drives it home. The single best moment of the entire MGS franchise right there.

South Park: The Stick of Truth -- The final punchline is pretty damn great and classic South Park...so very few games make comedy work but this one does it in spades. The final punchline of having your silent protagonist utter the definitive South Park words of "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" in response to "what should we play next?" was just perfect :D

Final Fantasy VIII -- Much like the entire game after the ending of Disc 1, I can't really explain it outside of Time Paradox but I love it.

Silent Hill 2 -- Maybe I'm an idiot who just couldn't see the clues in front of him. But I sure as hell didn't see the ending of SH2 coming the first time I played it. Having replayed it, I now see the clues as clear as day. But my first time through? Had no idea THAT ending was coming.

Last edited:
I). Shenmue I and II - I cannot for the life of me choose between these two endings. The first game's ending had me in tears; leaving behind so many characters I had grown to care about (especially Nozomi). Yet there was this sense of hope and excitement in the air. As if my journey had just begun.

Shenmue II left me with the same sadness that I felt in Shenmue I when I departed for Guiling. All the friends I had made, once again, I had to leave behind for the sake of my journey. That's why I enjoyed the trip through the mountains with Shenhua so much; it gave me time to reflect. Though all of this pails in comparison to the now-infamous moment that left Shenmue fans captivated for eighteen years. A moment that shall forever stand the test of time.

II). Lunar II: Eternal Blue - Seeing Lucia go from being cold and distant to warm and loving was heartwarming. The romance that blossomed between these two was well written. You top that off with some memorable music, and you have the perfect ending.

III). Sonic Adventure 2 - Before Shadow the Hedgehog wore out his welcome, his storyline ended perfectly in Adventure 2. His development from cold and vengeful, to romantic and self-sacrificing, was executed flawlessly. Back in 2001, this ending proved that Sonic could do drama well (If Sonic SAT AM did not prove that already). The last scene after Shadow's death is heavy with emotional tension.

IV). Metal Gear Solid I-IV - It is really hard for me to choose an ending from these games because they are all so good. The first game left me with a heartwarming feeling, or a bittersweet one, depending on whether you save Meryl or not. Sons of Liberty left me feeling utterly defeated like everything I did was for nothing. The third game left me sad for murdering The Boss. The fourth game, rounded up everything nicely; finally giving Solid Snake some much-needed closure.

V). Final Fantasy X - For me, this has to be the most bittersweet ending in Final Fantasy. You kill Sin, but at a great cost, the very Aeons who fought alongside you now had to die by your hand. The characters you had grown so attached to, were now fading away. While this was somewhat rectified in Final Fantasy X-2, it does not cheapen the somber tone this game ends on. You tie this in with the ironic song "Isn't it wonderful?" And it's an ending that left me in tears.

Last edited:
halo 1. which had a proper Hollywood movie style ending. halo1 also has great story - humans, aliens, Ai and a alien virus.. would of made an awesome movie if the game never existed.

i remember call of duty 4 having a good ending.

although there is lots of great games and they make great openings, they never quite nail the endings to give you a massive high or sense of achievement.

(slightly off topic but i think mgs4 had one of the best opening in a game)

V). Final Fantasy X - For me, this has to be the most bittersweet ending in Final Fantasy. You kill Sin, but at a great cost, the very Aeons who fought alongside you now had to die by your own hand. The characters you had grown so attached to, were now fading away. While this was somewhat rectified in Final Fantasy X-2, it does not cheapen the somber tone this game ends on. You tie this in with the ironic song "Isn't it Wonderful?" And its an ending that left me in tears.

I second this. I cried like a bitch when I beat FFX for the first time.

Chrono Trigger: One of the first games with multiple endings that I’ve played
Tekken 3: Anna’s ending in the Japanese version
Final Fight CD Japanese version: There is more emotion to it and it foreshadows Cody’s downfall
Yakuza 5: Kiryuu shirtless and bleeding as he struggles through the snow to see Haruka

I honestly can't think of a game that has an ending I actually enjoyed. That being said, I suppose the true ending for a game would be the final level/boss, as that's the payoff for playing a game.

Anyway, this isn't my favourite ending, but in terms of mechanics interweaving with story, I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3's ending. Though I probably only did so in a pretentious and analytical way.

Reason being is how everyone was pissed off with it, annoyed that all their choices throughout the trilogy was being tossed away for a "pick a colour" scenario. All I can think is "Yeah, so what?" I mean, do people really think that cheating on a blue alien hermaphrodite with a half-naked punk with super powers would alter what a supreme intelligence deems appropriate for achieving galactic peace?

I just thought it was a nice way of saying that sometimes your choices don't actually matter, so just enjoy the journey n don't worry to much about the destination. You may not like it, but if you know you're at the end, life may just give you a nice little bonus by allowing you to shoot Justin Bieber in the face.

Back