First Impressions From Xbox Series/PlayStation 5 Owners

Favourite title
Shenmue
Whether you bought one for yourself, a family member, to resell or its a work related product I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts and first impressions are on the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles from people who have experienced them first hand. Here's my first impression:

XBOX SERIES X - I haven't owned one yet, but no doubt will shortly. I reserve commentary until further notice.

XBOX SERIES S - I bought a Series S a few days ago for personal use to replace my original 2013 era Xbox One. I already switched over to the Series controller back in November when they were on sale and have never looked back on the XB1 controller. The controller(and especially the d-pad)is second to none for a base model controller and by far the best Xbox controller(and all around controller)on the market as of yet. The series S is the perfect size, perfect weight and perfect fit for what my personal gaming needs are, which is very light selective gaming. I welcome the removal of the disc drive as were in 2021 and discs are on the chopping block undoubtedly in the next 3-5 years tops. I love the 'less is more' approach all around, with one exception..the small hard drive. While its sufficient for my gaming needs, I know it won't be for hardcore gamers. The white color is also a bit of a disappointment as black always looks better, but I understand they need to separate the X from the S in design. The load times are super quick, for example Mortal Kombat 11 on XB1 takes about 2 minutes to start up from the menu and about 18 seconds to load between each fight. On the Series S it loads from the menu in about 18 seconds and takes 1 second to load between each fight. I feel this is by far the best all around value for any casual or moderate gamer for this generation. Granted, I haven't experienced the Series X yet, but I feel it would be overkill for the average gamer unless you need the 4K, disc drive and 1TB storage. Unless you need a Series X for your gaming needs, I'd buy a Series S over an original Xbox One, One S or One X. It's a worthwhile investment.

PS5 DIGITAL & PS5 DISC - First off, I will clarify that I am biased to Xbox in every generation. Not because I'm a fanboy or blind loyalty, I understand these are both major companies there to distract us from real life and take our money. With that said, I just find Xbox to always be the underdog that outshines PlayStation every single generation overall. Sony is often all flash with little substance outside of a small selection of exclusive titles. With that said, I purchased both a PS5 Digital and PS5 Disc Edition for business the other day, and I have mixed feelings. Certain aspects were exactly what I expected, others were welcome surprises for the better. The Disc edition will be sold for sure, while the Digital edition is also likely to be sold, but I may end up keeping it a bit longer than I initially anticipated as I'm heavily considering Kena coming out in August as a big priority and there's a few other exclusives that look so much better on PS5 than PS4, and also some PS5 exclusives in general. While I'm not attached to keeping any of my PS5's as I am with my Series S, I did feel it was worth giving a try. The load time on the PS5 is quick on PS4 titles, but its slower than the Series S loading Xbox One titles. I found that interesting because for example Mortal Kombat X on Series S loads faster than on PS5, which I did not expect with the PS5 being the superior console from a specs standpoint. The PS5 load times are fine though overall. The frame rate on PS4 titles like Ghost of Tsushima and Shenmue 3 are incredible, even the minor graphical improvements make the games much more enjoyable than they were on any of the PS4's(Original, Slim or Pro). The PS5 console is hideous in it's visual presentation and is even worse looking in person than it was in pictures, it's by far the ugliest PS console ever made(yes, even more so than the PS2 fat) and is quite possibly the ugliest console in gaming outside of some of the late 70s/early 80s consoles. The disc edition looks worse with the growth on the side throwing off the already broken symmetry, the stand that goes on it makes it look even more ergonomically unfriendly. It's bulky, heavy, disjointed and looks like something designed in the year 2000 trying to be from 2020. An internet modem with a 3 ring binder around it. The fins are the worst part, and the small pretentious details like the X, O, Square and Triangle textures on the fins scream Apple iPhone pretense. The user interface is light years behind Xbox Series/XB1 and while it's usable it is disjointed and broken in comparison to both the PS4 and even the PS3. I know this will most likely change with software updates, but as it stands the PS5's dashboard is a hot mess. Some PS5 fans said "the Xbox Series doesn't feel fresh cause of the dashboard looking like XB1" yet the XB dashboard style was introduced in September or October 2020 so it's brand new, and just because it looks stream lined with last gen and Windows 10 doesn't matter, its crisp and functional. The PS5 is supposed to be cutting edge in all ways, and yet it fails in design and interface as it looks worse than the consoles from 15 years ago all around, with one exception: The Dualsense 5 controller. By far the best improvement of the PS5 is the dualsense 5. It's easily the best PS controller and a huge redemption from the trash that was the PS4 dualshock. Dualshock 4 was a step down from dualshock 3 but with the dualsense 5 Sony has redeemed itself a bit. The d-pad is still pretty bad overall, and personally I don't like the joysticks in the middle as it doesn't rest well in the hands like the XB controllers do, but they did copy the Xbox One controller style a bit by extending and arching the grips and that has made this the best PS controller yet. The absolute best part of the PS5 experience on first impression was the haptic feedback. I played Astros Playroom a lot longer than I normally would have just to continue feeling the dualsense haptic rumble. The PS5 dualsense is by far the best rumble I've ever felt in a video game controller and has taken things to new heights. Ghost of Tsushima felt all the more real with the haptic response and I genuinely look forward to it with other newer titles in the future. I think the built in microphone is a great design idea to eliminate the need for a headset, but since I don't play online with others outside of Ghost, I found it a bit annoying having to go into the settings to turn it off everytime I start up the console. Overall, its a good choice though. From an ergonomics and current interface standpoint the PS5 is a nightmare and an eye sore, but from a performance, graphical, controller experience and future proofing standpoint there's no reason to spend money on a PS4 original, PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro at this point unless you can get them at a wholesale or deeply discounted price. The PS5 shows a lot of potential of what's to come, and I'd hold out for a PS5 before investing into a PS4 at full retail price.

What has your experience been???

Whether you bought one for yourself, a family member, to resell or its a work related product I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts and first impressions are on the new Xbox and PlayStation consoles from people who have experienced them first hand. Here's my first impression:

XBOX SERIES X - I haven't owned one yet, but no doubt will shortly. I reserve commentary until further notice.

XBOX SERIES S - I bought a Series S a few days ago for personal use to replace my original 2013 era Xbox One. I already switched over to the Series controller back in November when they were on sale and have never looked back on the XB1 controller. The controller(and especially the d-pad)is second to none for a base model controller and by far the best Xbox controller(and all around controller)on the market as of yet. The series S is the perfect size, perfect weight and perfect fit for what my personal gaming needs are, which is very light selective gaming. I welcome the removal of the disc drive as were in 2021 and discs are on the chopping block undoubtedly in the next 3-5 years tops. I love the 'less is more' approach all around, with one exception..the small hard drive. While its sufficient for my gaming needs, I know it won't be for hardcore gamers. The white color is also a bit of a disappointment as black always looks better, but I understand they need to separate the X from the S in design. The load times are super quick, for example Mortal Kombat 11 on XB1 takes about 2 minutes to start up from the menu and about 18 seconds to load between each fight. On the Series S it loads from the menu in about 18 seconds and takes 1 second to load between each fight. I feel this is by far the best all around value for any casual or moderate gamer for this generation. Granted, I haven't experienced the Series X yet, but I feel it would be overkill for the average gamer unless you need the 4K, disc drive and 1TB storage. Unless you need a Series X for your gaming needs, I'd buy a Series S over an original Xbox One, One S or One X. It's a worthwhile investment.

PS5 DIGITAL & PS5 DISC - First off, I will clarify that I am biased to Xbox in every generation. Not because I'm a fanboy or blind loyalty, I understand these are both major companies there to distract us from real life and take our money. With that said, I just find Xbox to always be the underdog that outshines PlayStation every single generation overall. Sony is often all flash with little substance outside of a small selection of exclusive titles. With that said, I purchased both a PS5 Digital and PS5 Disc Edition for business the other day, and I have mixed feelings. Certain aspects were exactly what I expected, others were welcome surprises for the better. The Disc edition will be sold for sure, while the Digital edition is also likely to be sold, but I may end up keeping it a bit longer than I initially anticipated as I'm heavily considering Kena coming out in August as a big priority and there's a few other exclusives that look so much better on PS5 than PS4, and also some PS5 exclusives in general. While I'm not attached to keeping any of my PS5's as I am with my Series S, I did feel it was worth giving a try. The load time on the PS5 is quick on PS4 titles, but its slower than the Series S loading Xbox One titles. I found that interesting because for example Mortal Kombat X on Series S loads faster than on PS5, which I did not expect with the PS5 being the superior console from a specs standpoint. The PS5 load times are fine though overall. The frame rate on PS4 titles like Ghost of Tsushima and Shenmue 3 are incredible, even the minor graphical improvements make the games much more enjoyable than they were on any of the PS4's(Original, Slim or Pro). The PS5 console is hideous in it's visual presentation and is even worse looking in person than it was in pictures, it's by far the ugliest PS console ever made(yes, even more so than the PS2 fat) and is quite possibly the ugliest console in gaming outside of some of the late 70s/early 80s consoles. The disc edition looks worse with the growth on the side throwing off the already broken symmetry, the stand that goes on it makes it look even more ergonomically unfriendly. It's bulky, heavy, disjointed and looks like something designed in the year 2000 trying to be from 2020. An internet modem with a 3 ring binder around it. The fins are the worst part, and the small pretentious details like the X, O, Square and Triangle textures on the fins scream Apple iPhone pretense. The user interface is light years behind Xbox Series/XB1 and while it's usable it is disjointed and broken in comparison to both the PS4 and even the PS3. I know this will most likely change with software updates, but as it stands the PS5's dashboard is a hot mess. Some PS5 fans said "the Xbox Series doesn't feel fresh cause of the dashboard looking like XB1" yet the XB dashboard style was introduced in September or October 2020 so it's brand new, and just because it looks stream lined with last gen and Windows 10 doesn't matter, its crisp and functional. The PS5 is supposed to be cutting edge in all ways, and yet it fails in design and interface as it looks worse than the consoles from 15 years ago all around, with one exception: The Dualsense 5 controller. By far the best improvement of the PS5 is the dualsense 5. It's easily the best PS controller and a huge redemption from the trash that was the PS4 dualshock. Dualshock 4 was a step down from dualshock 3 but with the dualsense 5 Sony has redeemed itself a bit. The d-pad is still pretty bad overall, and personally I don't like the joysticks in the middle as it doesn't rest well in the hands like the XB controllers do, but they did copy the Xbox One controller style a bit by extending and arching the grips and that has made this the best PS controller yet. The absolute best part of the PS5 experience on first impression was the haptic feedback. I played Astros Playroom a lot longer than I normally would have just to continue feeling the dualsense haptic rumble. The PS5 dualsense is by far the best rumble I've ever felt in a video game controller and has taken things to new heights. Ghost of Tsushima felt all the more real with the haptic response and I genuinely look forward to it with other newer titles in the future. I think the built in microphone is a great design idea to eliminate the need for a headset, but since I don't play online with others outside of Ghost, I found it a bit annoying having to go into the settings to turn it off everytime I start up the console. Overall, its a good choice though. From an ergonomics and current interface standpoint the PS5 is a nightmare and an eye sore, but from a performance, graphical, controller experience and future proofing standpoint there's no reason to spend money on a PS4 original, PS4 Slim or PS4 Pro at this point unless you can get them at a wholesale or deeply discounted price. The PS5 shows a lot of potential of what's to come, and I'd hold out for a PS5 before investing into a PS4 at full retail price.

What has your experience been???
Paragraphs bro! Use them.

I've played the PS5 a couple times as my brother has one. The Dualsense on Astro's Playroom is great but not enough for me to consider buying one myself especially with all the stock issues.

Looks wise, I was impressed initially but the sheer size of the thing is ridiculous. I hide my PS4 between the corner of my wall and the display unit so you can't see the thing. Not a bad design but something that is so meh it's not one to show off. The PS5 on the other hand does look like something I can display despite the questionable looks. My issue is that it can't fit on my display unit (book shelves) standing up and on the side just looks awkward. I would definitely welcome a revised unit but the original designs from Sony are almost always better than the slim versions they produce.

Games, nothing has even tempted me. Was going to get a PS5 for Cyberpunk but we all know how that's going and everything else is on PS4. No desire for Xbox. Only games that tempt me is Forza and Fable; I can do without the first and probably try streaming the latter on PC or something.

I still see the PS5 as a sort of PS4 PRO+ It's decent but I still haven't really felt the next gen jump. I only own 2 PS5 games on disc which are ports of PS4 games (MK11U & DMC5). The closest I have come to playing a PS5 Enhanced experience is Days Gone after its patch. Which was a very decent experience, I value 60 FPS far more than I used to.

I should also add I have a 1080P HDTV which is 32' - So I'm hardly getting the 4K experience which is fine, most games don't seem to offer both 4K Resolution & 60FPS yet - Which is surprising to be honest, I was expecting that to be the new standard with these machines.

The PS Store is getting better with the Deals section highlighting sales, but I still can't navigate it as well as the PS4 Store - Where I could go onto a page which has all the DLC and have it show me all the latest DLC for every game. The whole card system does nothing for me still. I also don't like having to go into deep console settings to change the Headphone Audio from All sound to just Chat - Hoping they will allow that change in the Audio submenu in time. Also, the Media Player sucks! They need to sort it out. Being able to send short vidoes in PMs to friends on PSN is a much welcomed addition!

The controller is decent but I had to turn the Haptic shoulder buttons off. Playing Fortnite (Yes...), the resistance for using a machine gun was irritating, but I think that game has had an Update recently so they may have changed it. Astro's Playroom Was a great use of it, I just can't see many Dev's giving it such dedication.

I have no PS5 exclusives on the horizon, Yakuza 7 & Resident Evil 8 are both on PS4, as is Kena. Non of the actual PS5 exclusives have me interested so I still haven't felt the Wow factor of the PS5 - Actually I am stoked for the new Oddworld game comng to PS+ in April! But this is fine, the main reason I got it was due to having PS4 backwards compatibility, My PS4 Pro was dead weight. So I sold it while I could to reserve a PS5, I don't regret that decision as I am content with the console but it still has yet to make that great next gen impression, but at least when it is ready I will have what I need :) I know it's annoying for many to not have one, but I really don't think anyone's missing out - Most PS5 owners are playing PS4 games anyway :p

I still see the PS5 as a sort of PS4 PRO+ It's decent but I still haven't really felt the next gen jump. I only own 2 PS5 games on disc which are ports of PS4 games (MK11U & DMC5). The closest I have come to playing a PS5 Enhanced experience is Days Gone after its patch. Which was a very decent experience, I value 60 FPS far more than I used to.

I should also add I have a 1080P HDTV which is 32' - So I'm hardly getting the 4K experience which is fine, most games don't seem to offer both 4K Resolution & 60FPS yet - Which is surprising to be honest, I was expecting that to be the new standard with these machines.

The PS Store is getting better with the Deals section highlighting sales, but I still can't navigate it as well as the PS4 Store - Where I could go onto a page which has all the DLC and have it show me all the latest DLC for every game. The whole card system does nothing for me still. I also don't like having to go into deep console settings to change the Headphone Audio from All sound to just Chat - Hoping they will allow that change in the Audio submenu in time. Also, the Media Player sucks! They need to sort it out. Being able to send short vidoes in PMs to friends on PSN is a much welcomed addition!

The controller is decent but I had to turn the Haptic shoulder buttons off. Playing Fortnite (Yes...), the resistance for using a machine gun was irritating, but I think that game has had an Update recently so they may have changed it. Astro's Playroom Was a great use of it, I just can't see many Dev's giving it such dedication.

I have no PS5 exclusives on the horizon, Yakuza 7 & Resident Evil 8 are both on PS4, as is Kena. Non of the actual PS5 exclusives have me interested so I still haven't felt the Wow factor of the PS5 - Actually I am stoked for the new Oddworld game comng to PS+ in April! But this is fine, the main reason I got it was due to having PS4 backwards compatibility, My PS4 Pro was dead weight. So I sold it while I could to reserve a PS5, I don't regret that decision as I am content with the console but it still has yet to make that great next gen impression, but at least when it is ready I will have what I need :) I know it's annoying for many to not have one, but I really don't think anyone's missing out - Most PS5 owners are playing PS4 games anyway :p
Thank You for sharing your input. Have you played Godfall for PS5? If so, your thoughts? I agree with most of what you're saying here. Both the PS5 and Xbox Series aren't major jumps from the latest last gen releases and the current titles launching this year are lackluster on both consoles with a few exceptions. The haptic feedback on Astros Playroom is indeed amazing, but I'm thinking a lot of developers may not put quite as much detail into it. The jump from the trash PS4 controller to the PS5 dualsense is by far the most noticeable difference I felt along with super smooth frame rates. There's a huge difference between PS4 Pro and PS5 on the frame rate side. Graphically, not as much but I too am using a 1080p HDTV so I know what the deal is with the lack of 4K. The interface(and yes the damned microphone and sound muting issues) is a pain in the ass, and I'm feeling that more as the days go by compared to the PS4. Also, you can't change your theme out of the box?? While not a huge issue, ridiculous for a console launching in 2020 with a price tag higher than the low end model from the competition and the overhyped marketing campaign. I know this won't happen, but I wouldn't mind if they did a software update and just gave us the PS4 interface until they come up with something better, scrap the current PS5 interface entirely. It's usable, but not smooth. Personally, I don't think the PS5 is quite yet worth the upgrade from any version of the PS4 if you don't have disposable income with one exception: I feel now would be the time to upgrade if you can find one at retail price before coronavirus coming to an end kills the resale market on the last gen and even the PS3/360/Wii gen. For example, I upgraded from the launch model Xbox One to Series S which is a huge jump in speed, smoothness, frame rate and graphics and I sold my Xbox One original for $250 USD today locally, so I essentially only paid $77 out of pocket for the Series S with the upgrade. In 2019 and early 2020 before COVID I was getting $100-$120 on average for Xbox One original and $180-$200 for PS4 original, now I get over $300 for PS4 original or slim and $400 for PS4 Pro/Xbox One X. Samething with 360/PS3/Wii..pre-COVID was like $30 Wii, $40 Xbox 360, $50-$60 PS3 now it's Wii $60, Xbox 360 $80-$100 and PS3 $100-$140. Currently COVID has prices spiked, so if you can score an upgrade and unload your previous gen console at the current market prices, it's well worth it. In the case of the PS5's I bought them to sell, but I may end up hanging onto the PS5 digital rather than the PS4 Pro I'd been hanging onto the week before waiting for Kena before hearing about the August release date. I could play it on my new laptop, but would rather play it at it's best potential on a PS5.

I bought a PS5 on november of last year, now i will write my first impressions.

The good
- I love the design of the PS5 and it came with a support, in my opinion the PS5 is a beautiful console.

- It is super fast, super fast to navigate through the menu, super fast to enter in the games and much more, i love this, now i can play PS4 games with a better perfomance

- Now we have a space only for games and other just for media, this way is more organized and i like that, it is nice that we can download all the media apps like Disney+, Spotify, YouTube, Crunchyroll and more.

- On the home menu we have the part "Explore" where we can see the latest news about games, trailers and much more, was a nice add in my opinion. I love the home menu music of PS5, was a nice choice.

- The Dual Sense
In my opinion the Dual Sense is really good, i love playing with the Dual Sense, it is a wonderful controller in my opinion.

I saw one news that a lot of people are having problems with the controller analog, Sony is getting sued because of this, this is sad and i hope Sony fix this problem soon.

- I have a PS4 fat 2013 version so i'm really feeling this next gen jump. I'm enjoying my time with the PS5, one of the reasons that i bought a PS5 was because i think the Shenmue saga will end on Shenmue V for PS5, i really hope that this will happen.

Overall i really like the PS5, for me it is a nice console and i'm enjoying my time with the PS5. 😊

The Bad
The only things i dislike about the PS5 are on the home menu of the console, things that i love on the PS4 but Sony didn't put on the PS5, i like the home menu of PS5 but some things that i love Sony didn't putted on PS5.

On the PS4 the part "What's new?" is a nice part of the PS4 console, on this part we can share things with our friends, on this part we can see trophies that our friends earned, we can see photos that our friends posted and more, i remember some friends on PS4 posting anime images and i love seeing this.

On the PS5 Sony didn't put the "What's New?" part, we can't see this things anymore this way, i miss this so much, it is a great feature on PS4 to interact with our friends but Sony didn't putted on PS5. 😢

PS Store: Themes/Avatars and more
One of the things i love about PS4 is that we can personalize our home menu, we can personalize with themes, we can buy avatars on the store and much more

The PS store on PS5 don't have much options yet, what i'm saying is on the store we don't have Themes, Avatars and other things, we can't personalize our home menu, i love themes so this was a bad decision from Sony in my opinion. The PS Store on PS5 have a nice design and it is fast to navigate but don't have much options yet.

All of this things about the home menu Sony can add in updates, if Sony never add those things that i like then i guess i have to get used to it. 😢

Last edited:
I bought a PS5 on november of last year, now i will write my first impressions.

The good
- I love the design of the PS5 and it came with a support, in my opinion the PS5 is a beautiful console.

- It is super fast, super fast to navigate through the menu, super fast to enter in the games and much more, i love this, now i can play PS4 games with a better perfomance

- Now we have a space only for games and other just for media, this way is more organized and i like that, it is nice that we can download all the media apps like Disney+, Spotify, YouTube, Crunchyroll and more.

- On the home menu we have the part "Explore" where we can see the latest news about games, trailers and much more, was a nice add in my opinion. I love the home menu music of PS5, was a nice choice.

- The Dual Sense
In my opinion the Dual Sense is really good, i love playing with the Dual Sense, it is a wonderful controller in my opinion.

I saw one news that a lot of people are having problems with the controller analog, Sony is getting sued because of this, this is sad and i hope Sony fix this problem soon.

- I have a PS4 fat 2013 version so i'm really feeling this next gen jump. I'm enjoying my time with the PS5, one of the reasons that i bought a PS5 was because i think the Shenmue saga will end on Shenmue V for PS5, i really hope that this will happen.

Overall i really like the PS5, for me it is a nice console and i'm enjoying my time with the PS5. 😊

The Bad
The only things i dislike about the PS5 are on the home menu of the console, things that i love on the PS4 but Sony didn't put on the PS5, i like the home menu of PS5 but some things that i love Sony didn't putted on PS5.

On the PS4 the part "What's new?" is a nice part of the PS4 console, on this part we can share things with our friends, on this part we can see trophies that our friends earned, we can see photos that our friends posted and more, i remember some friends on PS4 posting anime images and i love seeing this.

On the PS5 Sony didn't put the "What's New?" part, we can't see this things anymore this way, i miss this so much, it is a great feature on PS4 to interact with our friends but Sony didn't putted on PS5. 😢

PS Store: Themes/Avatars and more
One of the things i love about PS4 is that we can personalize our home menu, we can personalize with themes, we can buy avatars on the store and much more

The PS store on PS5 don't have much options yet, what i'm saying is on the store we don't have Themes, Avatars and other things, we can't personalize our home menu, i love themes so this was a bad decision from Sony in my opinion. The PS Store on PS5 have a nice design and it is fast to navigate but don't have much options yet.

All of this things about the home menu Sony can add in updates, if Sony never add those things that i like then i guess i have to get used to it. 😢
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd have to agree with feeling the jump from a 2013 model PS4, I also noticed that same jump going to 2013 model Xbox One to Xbox Series S. Even from PS4 Pro to PS5 or Xbox One X to Series S is a marginally nice increase, but coming from the archaic launch models the frame rate, speed, power and even graphics are noticeably improved and well worth the upgrade, which I initially suspected they wouldn't be so early on, but they are. Nothing wrong with XB1 or PS4 in 2021, but there's no reason not to upgrade if you can afford to do so right now.

I don't own a PS5, but I think the menu theme sounds great!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'd have to agree with feeling the jump from a 2013 model PS4, I also noticed that same jump going to 2013 model Xbox One to Xbox Series S. Even from PS4 Pro to PS5 or Xbox One X to Series S is a marginally nice increase, but coming from the archaic launch models the frame rate, speed, power and even graphics are noticeably improved and well worth the upgrade, which I initially suspected they wouldn't be so early on, but they are. Nothing wrong with XB1 or PS4 in 2021, but there's no reason not to upgrade if you can afford to do so right now.
And thanks for creating this thread, it is really nice. Yes, i have a PS4 2013 version so im really feeling the next gen power, i agree with you.

PS5 Owner in the House. Don't have an Xbox Series S or X (Don't know if I'm gonna bother...outside of Backwards Compatibility, there really isn't enough there to interest me in an Xbox Console these days being a PC owner...I can just get most of their best games on PC.)

As for the PS5?

UI Experience -- In some ways both a step forward and step back from the PS4 UI. It's snappy. Very snappy thanks to the SSD. Everything loads nice and quickly and it does feel very snappy. I don't mind the integrated store. I think in someways the integrated is probably the best store we've had on any PS console thus far. Download times are generally pretty good for me.

But there are still many complaints with the UI. I think everything is organized kinda poorly. They hide a LOT of things under sub menus and it all feels very cumbersome. Want to get your Cloud Saves on PS5? You literally have to go into Settings. Navigate to Saved Data and find Cloud Saves then you have access to the full list of cloud saves to wade through. Where as on PS4 they eliminated that problem by having cloud save access right there in the tile of each game. Now granted, they can build that into a future firmware update on the PS5 but it's such a step backward from the PS4...makes me wonder why that didn't naturally carry over to the PS5 UI design day one?

There's a lot of other issues. The fact that pressing the home button brings up the in-game XMB as opposed to sending you back to the PS5 home screen is annoying to me....It's annoying because that's how PS4 used to do it and now the muscle memory has to change from a simple press to holding down the PS Button to get back to the Home Screen...slightly annoying to me. The in-game XMB is kinda ugly with those help cards...I really hate those "Help" cards. I've only ever used that stuff once and it was when I was looking for one collectible in Astro's Playroom to get the Platinum. In theory, they're a great idea and all but I just hate the design of those "help" cards. They're ugly.

Trophy menu sucks! I really hate the Trophy layout on the PS5...so much so that I actually stopped caring about trophies because I hate looking through horizontal scrolling layout.

Some things about the UI are really sleek but there is also a lot of eyesore about it too. Also, the lack of customization bothers me. Goodbye all wallpapers. You'll never see individual themes or wallpapers on this console as the UI really doesn't allow for them...which kind of sucks to me. I always liked the idea that you could make the UI your own on PS3 and PS4 even with just simple themes or wallpapers.

Now granted, a lot of these issues can (and probably) will be fixed with updates over time, but as is? I much prefer the PS4 UI in almost every way. Kinda wish they had just stuck with the PS4 UI and kept building on that, to be honest.

Hardware? -- It's powerful and that SSD and its load times really make a HUGE difference. Granted, we haven't seen anything really take advantage of its power. But I like the fact that 60fps seems to be more and more a thing with this console and I hope devs at least keep giving us the option for Performance or Presentation with games as I love having 60fps back as a standard.

The Dual Sense? -- I went from being wowed by it with Astro's Playroom to completely forgetting it even has haptics as no other game I've played so far has really supported it in the same way. A bit of a shame, really. I fear Astro's Playroom is gonna be the best of that controller while everyone else "forgets" about it and doesn't take advantage of it. But we will see. I haven't had any drift issues yet (knock wood) but I've been lucky with that on my Switch Lite as well (no drift issues there either) so maybe I just have luck on my side. Having said that, watch as both of those machines suddenly develop stick drift :D Much like the PS4...I don't like the D-Pad. Saturn still has the BEST D-Pad ever (Change my mind!). They got it right. But seems like no one else can do a good D-pad these days.

All up? I kind of forget that I even have a PS5 just because there is nothing out there that has really shown it off yet. I'm still playing PS4 games on my PS5 as is. And if not PS4 games, then I'm playing PS5 versions of PS4 games such as MK11 or Yakuza Like a Dragon. I'm still waiting for that one game to wow me.

I can't say I have regrets. My PS4 Pro disc drive was dying so I kinda needed to upgrade...but yeah, I kind of forget I even have a PS5 sometimes just because there is nothing distinctive about it yet that has really wowed me and made me feel I'm playing next gen outside of maybe the haptics in the Dual Sense on launch day when playing Astro's Playroom for the first time.

Oh and SSD space? Thank god, there is nothing out at the moment, but yeah, my internal storage has a mere 11GB free right now. Granted, Call of Duty is taking up 185gbs of that space. Not to mention MK11 taking up 80gb as well.

Last edited:
PS5 Owner in the House. Don't have an Xbox Series S or X (Don't know if I'm gonna bother...outside of Backwards Compatibility, there really isn't enough there to interest me in an Xbox Console these days being a PC owner...I can just get most of their best games on PC.)

As for the PS5?

UI Experience -- In some ways both a step forward and step back from the PS4 UI. It's snappy. Very snappy thanks to the SSD. Everything loads nice and quickly and it does feel very snappy. I don't mind the integrated store. I think in someways the integrated is probably the best store we've had on any PS console thus far. Download times are generally pretty good for me.

But there are still many complaints with the UI. I think everything is organized kinda poorly. They hide a LOT of things under sub menus and it all feels very cumbersome. Want to get your Cloud Saves on PS5? You literally have to go into Settings. Navigate to Saved Data and find Cloud Saves then you have access to the full list of cloud saves to wade through. Where as on PS4 they eliminated that problem by having cloud save access right there in the tile of each game. Now granted, they can build that into a future firmware update on the PS5 but it's such a step backward from the PS4...makes me wonder why that didn't naturally carry over to the PS5 UI design day one?

There's a lot of other issues. The fact that pressing the home button brings up the in-game XMB as opposed to sending you back to the PS5 home screen is annoying to me....It's annoying because that's how PS4 used to do it and now the muscle memory has to change from a simple press to holding down the PS Button to get back to the Home Screen...slightly annoying to me. The in-game XMB is kinda ugly with those help cards...I really hate those "Help" cards. I've only ever used that stuff once and it was when I was looking for one collectible in Astro's Playroom to get the Platinum. In theory, they're a great idea and all but I just hate the design of those "help" cards. They're ugly.

Trophy menu sucks! I really hate the Trophy layout on the PS5...so much so that I actually stopped caring about trophies because I hate looking through horizontal scrolling layout.

Some things about the UI are really sleek but there is also a lot of eyesore about it too. Also, the lack of customization bothers me. Goodbye all wallpapers. You'll never see individual themes or wallpapers on this console as the UI really doesn't allow for them...which kind of sucks to me. I always liked the idea that you could make the UI your own on PS3 and PS4 even with just simple themes or wallpapers.

Now granted, a lot of these issues can (and probably) will be fixed with updates over time, but as is? I much prefer the PS4 UI in almost every way. Kinda wish they had just stuck with the PS4 UI and kept building on that, to be honest.

Hardware? -- It's powerful and that SSD and its load times really make a HUGE difference. Granted, we haven't seen anything really take advantage of its power. But I like the fact that 60fps seems to be more and more a thing with this console and I hope devs at least keep giving us the option for Performance or Presentation with games as I love having 60fps back as a standard.

The Dual Sense? -- I went from being wowed by it with Astro's Playroom to completely forgetting it even has haptics as no other game I've played so far has really supported it in the same way. A bit of a shame, really. I fear Astro's Playroom is gonna be the best of that controller while everyone else "forgets" about it and doesn't take advantage of it. But we will see. I haven't had any drift issues yet (knock wood) but I've been lucky with that on my Switch Lite as well (no drift issues there either) so maybe I just have luck on my side. Having said that, watch as both of those machines suddenly develop stick drift :D Much like the PS4...I don't like the D-Pad. Saturn still has the BEST D-Pad ever (Change my mind!). They got it right. But seems like no one else can do a good D-pad these days.

All up? I kind of forget that I even have a PS5 just because there is nothing out there that has really shown it off yet. I'm still playing PS4 games on my PS5 as is. And if not PS4 games, then I'm playing PS5 versions of PS4 games such as MK11 or Yakuza Like a Dragon. I'm still waiting for that one game to wow me.

I can't say I have regrets. My PS4 Pro disc drive was dying so I kinda needed to upgrade...but yeah, I kind of forget I even have a PS5 sometimes just because there is nothing distinctive about it yet that has really wowed me and made me feel I'm playing next gen outside of maybe the haptics in the Dual Sense on launch day when playing Astro's Playroom for the first time.

Oh and SSD space? Thank god, there is nothing out at the moment, but yeah, my internal storage has a mere 11GB free right now. Granted, Call of Duty is taking up 185gbs of that space. Not to mention MK11 taking up 80gb as well.
Which Saturn D-pad do you like? I had all of the Saturn controllers in the 90s and I found them to be comfortable(for that era, of course) except for the 3D one, that was an atrocity to use. Saturn was so far ahead of PS1 at the time of launch with its presentation but the delivery wasn't any good, it's sad that the hardware was so unreliable and the disc read issues were overwhelming, also the inferior game library. I was told Santa Claus could bring me a Saturn or PS1, I remember saying "Sega Saturn please. Sega is the best and Sony makes cassette players and radios, they won't be around in a year" lol...well, I had to eat those words! Admittedly Sony still makes an inferior product against what the competition offers in each console gen but they still have moments here and there where they deliver above the rest. If you're PC gaming have you considered getting an Xbox Series controller? Hands down the best d-pad I've ever used, both current gen and in general.

Back