For those of you that ordered online through GameStop...

Hi all,

A public service announcement for those of you that purchased the game online through GameStop expecting to receive the Medallion pre-order bonus:

1.) Some of us are now receiving our orders with the Medallion missing.

2.) You may be led to believe this bonus offering was in-store only, this is not correct. See the original offering page courtesy of Archive.org:

3.) If you did not receive your Medallion, you may call GameStop at (800) 883-8895 Option 3 then Option 4.

After numerous phone calls and escalations, Support Management had this to say:
  1. There is no pre-order physical item, our records indicate that it does not exist - you're wrong.
  2. Regardless of the archived website indicating that there was one, it doesn't say it on the website now - you're wrong.
  3. Even if there was one, we always have a "while supplies last" policy (which in all fairness they do) therefore assume we are all out.
As GameStop knows how many pre-orders they received and can easily crosswalk that with the number of Medallions they manufactured, it's dishonest of them to continue to offer the pre-order bonus of the Medallion up until 11/19/2019. Many of us placed pre-orders quite a while ago so to expect the bonus is reasonable although I haven't ordered a game in over a decade so maybe it's standard practice to get gypped like this.

What you do from here is up to you. Personally, I would send the game back (they can generate a UPS postage pre- paid return shipping label) and order elsewhere.

From what I understand from others, the Medallion is of poor quality anyway but it was clearly used to bait us into purchasing the game through them with little intention of actually following through. So while a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, it's still your money and your expectations not being met as a consumer.

Shame on us for ordering through them to begin with - everyone seems to have GameStop horror stories to share.

If you fair better than me, feel free to let everyone know.

Thank you,

Yeah, I preordered in June and got no medallion. Thankfully I picked up a medallion in the store for an in-store preorder. I wanted two so I could display them but they’re so small it’s not worth it. Still would have liked another. I returned the online copy at the store.

Screw GameStop for giving you the runaround.

Let me know if you have any luck getting the medallion.

I’m contacting their support. Gonna keep on this. Beyond ridiculous they pulled that crap.
Might not be worth the aggravation but have at it.

I'm over it. The Medallion looks chintzy anyway. I'm returning the game tomorrow and will just keep my Kickstarter copies. Maybe down the road I'll buy another copy to do my part in pumping sales but honestly the entire process of ordering these collector's editions coupled with the quality of what you actually receive in return leaves me wondering why after a decade or more of not buying a game why I felt the need to invest anything beyond a digital copy. The old days of getting something cool and lusting over it on the ride home from the store or in your bed because its too late to play are pretty much over. The cases are cheap, the printed material is low effort, and the package design all looks tired...almost an afterthought or checklist item in some spreadsheet somewhere. I haven't opened any of the other editions I bought and I'll do that whenever I get time to play the game. With that said, the game is all that matters and not the shrine of plastic that's clumsily thrown in with it.

And no, GameStop, you're not forgiven. I ordered a game from you so I could enjoy the whole product front to back, and not to be played myself.

Have a good night brother.

Last edited:
I had it with my European copy of the collectors edition. Of course on one hand it's worth getting het up about over the principle but the quality of the 'medallion' which looks like the CE 'mirror' is dire - just a lump of plastic only about 50% of the size of what it is in game.

Either that or characters in Shenmue have really small hands

“I apologize for the inconvenience, but I am not able to give you that pre-order bonus because the promotion is only in stores while supplies last”

9FCD5254-B5D2-4BAA-825D-0DAB45B01B93.jpeg

🐂💩

Back when I worked at EB Games they were equally deceitful.

I had a mother come in with her son's broken GBA SP. Simply wouldn't turn on anymore. She had bought the warranty. She needed to get some approval code from the main help so I had her use the store phone to call them. Her facial expression wasn't great and she disconnected. I asked her what was going on and they had refused to help her on the grounds that the GBA's serial number had worn off due to being in the kid's pocket so often that there was no way to confirm it was the same system... even though it obviously was.

I told her to wait a bit and I called them and got the same response. I detailed how it was the same system and they refused to give me an authorization number. I disconnected and told her what they told me.

She was on the verge of pissed and tearing up. I told her they can screw off and I'm going to replace it for her. I got her an identical but new system. She even bought the warranty on the new system. I put packing tape over the serial number to better protect it. She walked out a happy customer. I ended up writing my manager a lengthy letter as to what happened.

The next day my manager took me aside and said that while I did the right thing to not do it again. Less than an hour later the district manger walked in and asked to see me. In front of my manager he stated the woman had called him telling him of the experience. Stated she would be a return customer to my store because of my actions and to promote me. He shook my hand and started me on the path to become an assistant manager.

I was never fully promoted which was a turning point for me eventually leaving the store.

Back