For those who have played or completed the game. How would you rate Shenmue III?

What score would you give Shenmue III?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.4%

Votes: 5 7.0%

Votes: 7 9.9%

Votes: 17 23.9%

Votes: 26 36.6%

Votes: 12 16.9%

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
I went with an 8. There are clear problems, but I also think the fact of what Yu and his team accomplished in this circumstance is pretty solid!
I do enjoy the game quite alot though! Biggest gripe is battle system.

I went 8 too.

I was pretty much 9/9.5 all the way up until the section in Niaowu where it feels like you are just repeating the events of the first area but it takes longer. Kinda wore me down to a point where I just wanted to get the game done if I'm being honest. It was also at this point I gave up on the collectibles which I was all over beforehand.

Regarding the story, I enjoyed it. The last moment in Bailu was spot on and I even enjoyed the ending.

Fan service was brilliant in my opinion. Especially the touches in Niaowu. There were plenty of times I felt the emotions come on throughout this game and I love that. So much heart.

I really think the game could have been a bit more generous money wise. My arm is still in pain and tender 3 days later through my rapid finger vibration technique to win the frog races until I got 60,000 tokens. (I was good at this technique back playing FF8 to maximise GF damage but I was 13 then. My 33 year old arms cant handle it anymore)
I think it would have been nice to earn at least double the amount while doing jobs.

Combat was fine, nothing more nothing less. Enjoyed doing the one inch punch training. Less so horse stance and rooster.

QTEs could have been a tad slower to begin with.

All in all a brilliant game, but I can't imagine it being as good second time round. Its that impact of the first time that is special.
Probably won't play again until the DLC, and probably won't play through from start to finish again unless a definitive edition comes to Xbox soon.
A bit more story progression and a little less money grinding would have been perfect for me.

Last edited:
7 here.
The flat characters and near lack of plot development really dragged me down with this one despite loving so much that the game actually gets right including the combat system and economy.

Imagine searching for sailors for the whole of Shenmue 1..
Yeah, sailors were cool but you'd feel cheated if it took you the whole game to find them and beat them to finally move the plot ever so slightly.

Imagine nearly all of the characters in this game being on the level of Jianmin (the old man in S2 practicing in the park).
Yeah, Jianmin was decent for a side character but he was nowhere as deep as Xiuying, didn't grow as much as Goro nor did he have the charisma of Ren. That's Shenmue 3 NPCs, 'decent for a side character'.

I enjoyed myself and will probably replay this but I imagine Shenmue 4 will come and easily blow this one out of our minds.

Last edited:
I enjoyed my time with it, but it's probably a 6 for me. Not enough character development and too much of an emphasis on grinding for me to love the game. It felt like a chore constantly needing to get money and raise your stats.

I also didnt really click with any of the characters other than Shenhua and maybe one other. It just felt a little flat for me.

I honestly think I might enjoy the game more if I replay in ng+. Just gotta cheese the game for money and play how I want.

I was between 7 and 8 but the flat ending now has me between 5 and 6 :/

Shenmue II is pretty much a 10 out of 10 for me, even on a playthrough just before starting III. Nothing will match the thrill of ascending the Yellow Head Building, followed by the serenity of Guilin in Disc 4.

I like the gameplay mechanics in III but the plot and pacing are whack, and the cut scenes we do have are so awkwardly directed.

Hopefully this game will be used as a base for a sequel that will actually advance the plot meaningfully and introduce memorable characters, and III will ultimately be the "redheaded stepchild" of the series.

Nozomi rescue + 70 man battle > Yellowhead building

The Nozomi rescue and 70 man battle were awesome but with the Yellow Head Building you have Ren, Joy, Wong... Plus Dou Niu is so much more memorable than Terry.

All this talk about the ending being a disappointment is starting to worry me. Yea this game has its fair share of issues, but damn if I'm not enjoying the hell out of it. Currently about 2 hours into niaowu, and now I'm sort of expecting the game to take a nose dive soon after all this talk of the ending

All this talk about the ending being a disappointment is starting to worry me. Yea this game has its fair share of issues, but damn if I'm not enjoying the hell out of it. Currently about 2 hours into niaowu, and now I'm sort of expecting the game to take a nose dive soon after all this talk of the ending

Same :(

I am LOVING what I have played so far. I'm on day 3 of Niaowu now, I think.

Not completed it yet but so far we are at an average user rating of 7.8

An 8 from me as well, it was honestly 9 or even 10 for me the majority of time, but the last third of the game is kinda lame. Like they ran out of money or something, it feels underdeveloped .

Bailu is incredible, had the entire game maintained that quality it would've been as good as Shenmue 1/2

The story is a 4/10 and the combat was around a 6/10. The world, side distractions, and music was the strongest part and felt like a extension of Shenmue so it's like a 8/10. I enjoyed it, and I'm glad I got to experience a modern take on Shenmue if we never get 4 but it's very flawed as a whole and at best I can only give it a 6/10 at best in it's current state.

The game is far worse than either previous title in the series. First off the framing and direction of scenes was poor largerly due to those strange fades and weird scene jump cuts which were very distracting honestly.

Secondly Bailu presented Ryo with the perfect situation to learn more about his father's past and the story took zero advantage of it. The only thing you learned was that the town was once a central hub of the martial arts community which is what drew many in, including your father. But does not explain or build any background on all of the fateful events that led to Iwao potentially taking Sunmings life.

The game could have simply had one of the multiple Masters and characters who seemed to know him in the town explain their time together in the village and possibly have jumped into a few flash backs of simply showing their relationship with one another and possibly build up characters and world building details like possible personal beliefs, goals, interests, personal relationships, and disagreements, and such in order to establish at the very least potential motives as to why Iwao could have taken Sunmings life and also explain why he may have kept many of those items below the dojo in the first chapter. They didn't even need to do anything conclusive, they needed to at minimum alter or redirect the long held questions and sense of mystery towards a new one. The secret to good writing is not simply answering questions but giving a sense of understanding which can be used to mislead or set up more questions in the viewers mind.

Third issue is the fact Ryo seems to behave like he learned nothing in Shenmue 2 from Xiuying and her resistance and take on seeking revenge and all of the practicians of martial arts he interacted with about the wude which seemed to radically change his level of maturity by the time you face the Yellowhead Building and Dou Nui.

Not to mention Zhao and his revelation that should have made Ryo realize he is basically repeating a vicious cycle of revenge. You would think he wouldn't just try to immediately attack Lan Di and make himself look like a fool and nearly die, but instead IDK maybe ask him questions about all of these things you didn't know anything about that really bring your understanding of your father into question before you try to kill him or break him.

The game also ignored Ryo and his progression as far as strength, he just instantly gets slapped around by any above average thug even after taking out 70 men of various sizes and strength levels, and took out Dou Nui and a ton of trained professional thugs who clearly had their shit together.

To make this matter worse both sections of the game operate on the same structure of fail twice against a big opponent who they don't develop or give any reason for why they are so powerful, overcome some huge financial issue, learn a new move from a master, suddenly overcome the bad guy who your lucky if they even name and then move on.

They don't develop the Masters, side characters, or antagonists, the game basically had neither really present in the game, they were all there to just conveniently tie the story along, provide a couple fun scenes but we're not really part of the larger story and did not spend any extended time interacting with you about anything outside of learning a new move or testing you. They did not teach you ideas, principles, or anything else. The one made you spend a years salary on alchole and the other really just kind of tested you and helped you cross a body of water.

Things just sorta happen with no greater context, Ren just shows up with no greater explanation as to why he is there. Niu Sun is sneaking around in street clothes, but the game never gives a reason why she would do this. Lan Di is just chilling with other Chi You Men or gang leaders and you have to fight them, but the game explains nothing about them or why any of them are there. All of these wicked people in one place, just because it's convenient to the story. Shenmue previously explained these meetings and character interactions with the Long Zha deal in Shenmue and because Lan Di wanted Zhu in Shenmue 2 because he was a valuable asset information wise. You largerly worked with and became friends with Ren and the Heavens Gang because he was in direct competition with the Yellowhead Gang and you both stood to gain more working together.

The story as whole was all over the place and didn't really bring anything new or meaningful to the table, you could literally just skip the game and not really miss anything of value plot wise.

Honestly the story was insulting, both the franchise and the fanbase deserved some real progression and not some anime filler plot line masquerading as a sequel.

I had fun but as far as being a continuation of the story it's bad. My only hope is he gets enough money, networking, and partnerships through the development and release of this title that we actually get a better game in the 4th.

Last edited:
Oh wow reading all of these comments about the game is making me worry a little because im early in Niaowu. I been playing this game nonstop it's consuming most of my time. I like it so much but one thing that I worry about it when I'm playing it is that is not telling much of the story I now understand why people are not too happy with how it ends.

So far I give this game a 10 there is so much to do and I'm having the ride of a lifetime with Shenmue 3 i never want to finish it because I'm going to get sad after i see the ending because after waiting 18 years to play this game and then having to wait a few more years for 4 is too much of a pain really.

I love everything about Shenmue 3 my only small complaint I wish they had more new songs they mostly reused a lot of Shenmue 2 music I guess Yu did it because money was the problem it was a Kickstarter game. Tomorrow I will continue playing more can't wait to discover new things.

Oh wow reading all of these comments about the game is making me worry a little... I like it so much but one thing that I worry about it when I'm playing it is that is not telling much of the story I now understand why people are not too happy with how it ends.
Yeah, I'd say take your sweet time doing as much as you can in this game because if you decide to finally finish the story then you will regret it.

Oh wow reading all of these comments about the game is making me worry a little because im early in Niaowu. I been playing this game nonstop it's consuming most of my time. I like it so much but one thing that I worry about it when I'm playing it is that is not telling much of the story I now understand why people are not too happy with how it ends.

So far I give this game a 10 there is so much to do and I'm having the ride of a lifetime with Shenmue 3 i never want to finish it because I'm going to get sad after i see the ending because after waiting 18 years to play this game and then having to wait a few more years for 4 is too much of a pain really.

I love everything about Shenmue 3 my only small complaint I wish they had more new songs they mostly reused a lot of Shenmue 2 music I guess Yu did it because money was the problem it was a Kickstarter game. Tomorrow I will continue playing more can't wait to discover new things.
It’s still a solid good game overall. The rush ending was not planned of course

SHENMUE 3 is full of stuff to interact with in all areas and does make it feel alive. When you first start the game it takes time to adjust into the slow pace of the game but as you do it does get enjoyable. I liked the fact you build your fighting skills and earn money.

The things that wasn't great in the game was the eating at first it was abit annoying to get to grips with. Maybe tho it's to slow you down to explore the areas much more. After time the eating wasn't a issue as you gained more money.
The fighting. For most parts of the fighting it was good and enjoyable but as for the story is was slow and not as gripping as shenmue 1 and 2 and when the fighting should have been harder it was to easy.
For me this is disappointing as I really wanted the story to be gripping and edge of seat stuff like the first two games.
All in all tho yes shenmue 3 has some glitches and bad points but it's a game made on a tight budget and for that I think what has been achieved by yu Suzuki and the team is great but it just lacks in the story which is disappointing.
Due to this and how sales are going we may never see shenmue 4 and be left in the dark once more.
I hope this is not the case and we see a Shenmue 4 and hope the story is a big focus. I believe 4 should be the final game to complete the story tho.

I love the shenmue series and it's always been my favourite series and I will always support the shenmue series and yu Suzuki in anyway.

Back