Friendly Wager: Will Shenmue Manaco trailer have voice acting.

9Friendly Wager: Will yhe trailer have voice acting?

• I wage that the trailer will have English voice acting

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • I wage that the trailer will have Japanese voice acting

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • I wage that it will be only music and visuals with no voice acting

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • I wage it will only have fighting sfx and grunts

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
Here is a friendly wager, it is like a bet but there are no stakes.

Let me clarify what I mean by voice acting in this instance, I mean you see and hear characters speak spoken dialogue, with lip sync, unlike the prophesy trailer that just had Shenhua's voice over random scenes.

Sorry for all the typos. Did it on the phone and my thumbs are too big to type correctly lol

I'm surprised that many people put a vote for English, the English voice over just wrapped up not too long ago so I can't see it being in this trailer.

I'm surprised that many people put a vote for English, the English voice over just wrapped up not too long ago so I can't see it being in this trailer.

It's not like they need it to be completed for something to be put together for a trailer though. I mean a trailer will surely show less than 0.1% of the game.

To be honest, I'm 50/50 on whether it will feature English or not. I won't be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't, but I think it would generate far more interest online and gain more hype if it does.

It's not like they need it to be completed for something to be put together for a trailer though. I mean a trailer will surely show less than 0.1% of the game.

To be honest, I'm 50/50 on whether it will feature English or not. I won't be surprised or disappointed if it doesn't, but I think it would generate far more interest online and gain more hype if it does.
True, but we need to remember this event is in france. I mean, they speak french and there is obviously no french dub for the game, so who knows what language the trailer will be in. Likely the trailer was still made back in Japan though, so i'm expecting it to be in Japanese. But, who knows :unsure:

I know they share a lot of similarities but Monaco and Macao are two different city-states, OP.

i think we will get to hear the JP voice over.
the English recording is still going on as we speak.

E3 is where we will first hear the English dialog along with showing Bisha for the first time etc etc... they will save the bigger reveals for a bigger event i think.

Probably Japanese, but who knows really? Could end up with the trailer released twice with either language track.

True, but we need to remember this event is in france.
This would be a good time to point out that the "Do not record this" message prior to the extended 2017 trailer shown at MAGIC was entirely in English with no French translation. More people will understand English than Japanese.
The Gamescom 2018 trailer had VO and that was released less than 3 months after Japanese VO started. It's been roughly the same amount of time since English VO began, and it presumably finished last month since they said they were 70-80% done in the late January update.

With Deep Silver being the publisher for the US and Europe, this is probably going to be the big trailer that they'll use for the next several months. They're going to want it in English for their markets. I'm voting for English.

I wonder if they'll re-release an updated version of the prophecy trailer with the English dub. I doubt it, but that would be nice.

I chose that the trailer will have japanese voice, but I'll add that I'd like to have sound fx too. I'd be nice to see a real gameplay with everything: voice, sound fx, the new UI...a couple of minutes at least.

I chose Japanese voice...are they still working on the English dub? Or did it wrap? Last I remember, Corey said he was still recording like a month ago or so. I have to assume the Japanese dub would be mostly finished by now so I can imagine it will be the Japanese dub we will hear. Especially given that the Prophecy Trailer had Shenhua's Japanese voice actress.

My question would be what do you think we're gonna see in this trailer? All story beats? Game play? Something like the extended trailer that leaked from Magic last year. (QTE's mixed with Story beats).

Last edited:
I've gone on a limb and said English trailer. They could well have recorded that bit way back and the gam eplay segments may not even need to be voiced if they are just clips in the overall trailer. Plus the English dub isn't far off done from the updates we had in Jan.

I'm willing to bet it will be mostly no voice acting, just music, they might have a little snippet of "voice over" or narration but not any from any scene shown on screen as the same time.

I’d love to hear some English dialogue. But I have a feeling, if there is gonna be VA, it’ll most likely be the Japanese dub. At least for now.

Yes, voices may very well make their World Premiere too

I was hoping the trailer would be released in both English and Japanese. But wouldn't mind if it's Japanese only for now.

Back