Game Gear Micro.

Did you guys see this nonsense? What is wrong with Sega, ffs?

I was excited to see them releasing a Game Gear system, but my assumptions would be it would have a bunch of games like the other classic systems. It only has 4 games, and you're supposed to collect all 4 models.

But the thing is too damn small to begin with. Would have been really cool if they matched the size of the original GBA and put a bunch of games on it. But this thing, this is ridiculous. Worst gaming announcement I've seen in years. Supposedly $50 each. Oh yeah, and they're releasing a magnifying attachment.

Looks cool, apparently has cloud gaming which has already been popular and successful for Sega in Japan. Who knows if the thing releases worldwide at all or not.

Did you guys see this nonsense? What is wrong with Sega, ffs?

I was excited to see them releasing a Game Gear system, but my assumptions would be it would have a bunch of games like the other classic systems. It only has 4 games, and you're supposed to collect all 4 models.

But the thing is too damn small to begin with. Would have been really cool if they matched the size of the original GBA and put a bunch of games on it. But this thing, this is ridiculous. Worst gaming announcement I've seen in years. Supposedly $50 each. Oh yeah, and they're releasing a magnifying attachment.
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't uderwhelmed by it tbh. I full scale game gear mini with 40 games would have lovely. Hell they could have made it about the size of a gameboy pocket and that would have worked nicely.

I do think it suffered from the Famitsu bloke hyping stuff but equally I'm not sure how well this will do. They look fun but that's it for me, plus I never had a gamegear as a kid so it's something of nothing for me.

Apparently this isn’t related to the big Famitsu news. We’ll find out tonight’

here’s a link to buy -https://www.play-asia.com/game-gear-micro-4-color-set/13/70dj79?tagid=568624

will pass though I did love my gamegear

I think it's a cool little novelty, I'll probably pick them up if I'm not too broke.

Keeping in mind Japanese journalists' tendency to exaggerate things, I wasn't expecting much but Sega still managed to have me slightly underwhelmed. ;)

Still, those things look kinda cool. Doubt it'll release outside of Japan, so not worth worrying about it.

here’s a link to buy -https://www.play-asia.com/game-gear-micro-4-color-set/13/70dj79?tagid=568624

Sega unveiled “Fog Gaming” that would repurpose arcades across Japan as part of a server cloud,
using arcade machines’ CPUs and GPUs to provide an ultra low latency streaming alternative
and allow arcades to make money even after business hours. Only in Japan.

And it would make sense that they want to announce this in a japanese magazine.
As far as i know that was the big announcement.
No Microsoft deal, no Sega Xbox, no Sega Shenmue 4.

£230? o_O

Maybe £30 per system for a total of £120 for the complete set seems a lot more reasonable, £230 is insane!

Looks cool, apparently has cloud gaming which has already been popular and successful for Sega in Japan. Who knows if the thing releases worldwide at all or not.
I thought the cloud gaming was related to arcade games at home...

I full scale game gear mini with 40 games would have lovely. Hell they could have made it about the size of a gameboy pocket and that would have worked nicely.
My friend had one, they were huge. I'd be down if the size was more appropriate. This micro is too small, a full scale one would be too big. Having only 4 games ensures I'd never buy one tho.

I've never understood the able of Micro Consoles - I've noticed recently there have been Micro-Arcade cabinets like that NEO-GEO one - Which I am sure sold buckets on named brand alone... The only other console that comes to mind which did it during its lifecycle was the GBA with the Gameboy Micro:
1591201072753.png
I'd rather have a console with a bigger screen so the selling point of being a Micro consoledoes nothing for me. & don't get me started on the 4 games per colour.... Wish SEGA would have put t heir efforts into a Saturn/Dreamcast Mini instead.

I've never understood the able of Micro Consoles - I've noticed recently there have been Micro-Arcade cabinets like that NEO-GEO one - Which I am sure sold buckets on named brand alone... The only other console that comes to mind which did it during its lifecycle was the GBA with the Gameboy Micro:
View attachment 7980
I'd rather have a console with a bigger screen so the selling point of being a Micro consoledoes nothing for me. & don't get me started on the 4 games per colour.... Wish SEGA would have put t heir efforts into a Saturn/Dreamcast Mini instead.
I think it's supposed to be a joke about all the mini consoles. Since the GG is already mini (well, not for a handheld, but you get what I mean), that means they had to go further and make it micro.

I think it's supposed to be a joke about all the mini consoles.
Why would they release a joke product?

If it were done properly it would be absolutely awesome. I'm still excited at the prospect of them potentially doing a proper Game Gear release outside of Japan.

I might be mistaken, yes.

Either way, it is better than I expected. Probably only meant for Japan. If they were brought west, I'd assume theyd be bigger in general, not just a magnifying screen. Like the original Saturn controller or XBOX controller.

It's not been announced for the western market, so there is still a chance we could get a bigger model with more games included.

The 2 Shinobi games are absolutely awesome so lets hope so

i find it interesting how far Technology has come where they can create things like this and i will be interested in seeing how its made / whats inside it but i have zero interest in owning one.. but i guess nodoubt they will be a good investment if you were interested in reselling.

if it was more practical in size and had more games, i would be interested in one but like those who bought and reviewed the snes mini's, they loose their novelty appeal pretty quickly.

I might be mistaken, yes.
I assumed the "fog" stuff was simply for allowing arcade owners to make money off the CPUs/GPUs in cabs when they aren't being used for playing games. Basically farming out those resources to other companies remotely to use for stuff like protein folding, bitcoin mining (still don't even know what this means), etc. I'd love to be wrong on that though.

Back