Game of the Decade? — we all have one; what be yours?

For me it has to be Journey. By far the most emotional I've gotten while playing a game for a long time. Second place would be Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

I'm too busy to play long games nowadays, so while might have enjoyed Witcher etc. I'm glad that there are still short but sweet games out there. I'll only make exceptions when a new Shenmue (or Skies of Arcadia remake) comes out...

For me it has to be Journey. By far the most emotional I've gotten while playing a game for a long time. Second place would be Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

I'm too busy to play long games nowadays, so while might have enjoyed Witcher etc. I'm glad that there are still short but sweet games out there. I'll only make exceptions when a new Shenmue (or Skies of Arcadia remake) comes out...

Ah man....Skies Of Arcadia remake would be amazing. Or a sequel even.

I haven't touched video games since 2007 until 2019, but this year I caught up on a lot of the stuff I supposedly had "missed out" on. After visiting countless Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 games this last year ranging all the way back to 2005, I now remember why I lost interest in the first place lol.

Anyhow..I only enjoyed a handful of games from the 2010 decade, I'd say my #1 would be Shenmue 3 followed by Mortal Kombat 11.

Does Mass Effect 2 count as "this decade" (2010)? That would be my #1. I loved everything about it - the characters, gameplay, world building, story were all great. I know after the years passed by some folks say the story is a little more self contained in the context of the trilogy, but I have never been as pumped to anticipate and play a game in my life.

Runner ups include:
  • Persona 5 - I love Persona 4 but Persona 5 I thought was a step above.
  • Nier Automata - Great gameplay and story, goes to some crazy places story wise.
  • God of War - I started the series with GOWIII so I didn't really mind that they did a reboot of the series - I know a few folks didn't enjoy that as much but I thought this game raised the bar in presentation.
  • The Last of Us - Great story with gameplay somewhere in-between stealth and survival horror, though not purely either.
  • Titanfall 2 - I agree with the sentiment someone mentioned above that this the best FPS in recent memory, or at least single player.
  • Sonic Mania - Arguably the best Sonic game of all time. I think the one strike against it in "historical context" is that it doesn't feel like this continuous journey from stage 1 to Dr. Robotnik like the original series. It's late and I can explain this better at some point, haha.
  • Horizon Zero Dawn - I absolutely loved the setting and premise of this game. I thought the main story and some of the reveals were great, too.
Of course this is going by memory so I'm sure I forgot some of my all-time favorite games, haha. I do regret not having enough time to dig through more indie stuff these past few years, but I'll hopefully be able to catch up soon! It's also been tough to find time to play games like The Witcher, of WHICH I've owned 2 and 3 for years :-(

Back