Game of the Decade? — we all have one; what be yours?

I have been very close to buying a Switch lately mainly cause I'd like to play BotW, Mario Odyssey and Astral Chain. Zelda does look great and think I'll have fun exploring and finding those shrines.
Thing is I'm gonna end up spending over £400 quid on all that lot and not sure its worth it? (Never owned a Nintendo console in my life, therefore never played a Zelda game either)

I'll try Witcher 3 on the X again I think.

ive owned a snes, gamecube, wii and 3ds. there good but mainly aimed at kids.

like you i was tempted to get a switch a while back but i would never of kept it. i would of only played a few of the AAA titles then sold it on. (ive done it lots of times in the past lol)

the only thing i would say about nintendo is that when they become collectable the prices become ridiculously expensive. a few years ago, i did think about going back and re-buying a gamecube and a few games (mgs twin snakes - zeld, mario) but nearly all the games are selling for £50-70 each.:censored:

Last edited:
Nothing.

For me games are only in 3 categories:
-Great games
-Flawed games that are enjoyable
-Bad/disappointing games

1) Persona 5 (2017)
2) Yakuza 0 (2017)
3) The Last Guardian (2016)
4) Life is Strange (2015)
5) Uncharted 4 (2016)
6) Yakuza 6 (2018)
7) The 25th Ward (2011, Western release 2018)
8) Uncharted : The Lost Legacy (2017)
9) Uncharted 3 (201?)
10) Catherine (2011).

Honorable mentions: S3. My most anticipated game of my life. Turned out not bad but ultimately didn't deserve to be on the list for its lack of quality writing /storytelling. While I love the game and am glad it exists it could also be called my disappointment of the decade.

S1 & 2 ports. Sega finally gave in and the pipe dream of playing S1 & 2 on modern platforms came true. Normally I would rank both S1 & S2 above Persona 5 but since those were only ports of games not from the 2010s I chose to not include them.

Lost Ember and Firewatch. Two of my favorite indie titles I thoroughly enjoyed. They were obviously never gonna make the list though.

Sonic Mania. The first Sonic game I enjoyed since Adventure 2.

That pretty much sums up my decade in terms of gaming. What a great decade it was for gaming, especially 2017 with the (Western) releases of Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Lost Legacy and Nier Automata to name just a few. What a year!

EDIT: Man, how could I forget The 25th Ward finally coming westward after all those years? That was absolute class. Had to edit it in. LA Noire got kicked out of the top 10 because of it.

Last edited:
I can list the games I enjoyed the most:

1) Shenmue 3
2) Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
3) The Witcher 3
4) Portal 2
5) The Talos Principle

If I could add the Shenmue I & II remakes, yeah, I'd put them in second place.

Probably Yakuza 0, even though it pains me to admit it. It was my first PS4 game and my first Yakuza since number one on the PS2. I played it for nearly 100 hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

Last edited:
Eh I felt Shadow of Tomb raider was a bit meh compared to rise; still good but story wasn't very captivating.

My fave games of the decade:

Shenmue III
The impossible sequel finally arrives, and like many who have waited so long to see this series continue I have treasured every second I have and continue to spend with this game. An absurdly ambitious game for it's budget and one that continually leaves me gobsmacked it's a crowdfunded production. Yes there's issues with plot and story but the actual day to day gameplay loop is very addictive, whether it be learning the fight system, off picking 'erbs', chilling at the arcade or doing fun jobs like Wood Chop, Fork Lift or Fishing. It's all propelled along by great music and atmosphere you just can't find anywhere else.

The Last of Us
Not only does this game have one of the all time great, atmospheric, single player adventures, the overlooked multiplayer mode is a slice of fried gold to boot.

Yakuza Zero
A game that revived my love of all things Sega, Yakuza Zero is simply an incredible game with a terrific style and wit all it's own.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Impossible not to smile while playing this. A showcase for the potential of VR and a bloody good game in it's own right.

Bloodborne
A game that I absolutely detested upon release. However, there was just something so alluring about the art and the world I had to give it another chance. 57 hours and a platinum trophy later, I felt a level of satisfaction that only a handful of games can provide. Hanging up the Hunter's Axe has been difficult and the lure of starting it all over again is strong. The sign of an excellent game.

Resident Evil 2
As a 13 year old in 1998, I was completely infatuated with this game and played it many, many times over unlocking and discovering all of it's secrets. The remake was no exception.

Titanfall 2
Flat out hands down, the best shooter of this generation. Amazing gunplay, amazing mechs, absolutely awesome art direction, it should have sold bucketloads and become the new standard. A victim of the first game perhaps, and all the poor copycats that followed? it doesn't matter. Respawn's game is well worth playing even for the campaign alone.

Batman Arkham Knight
Visually stunning and supremely playable. The batmobile sections did not bother me one bit and belting it through Gotham at top speed before hitting the ejector seat and gliding over the city below is a pure thrill you just can't get anywhere else.

Deus Ex Human Revolution
As far as art direction goes this is definitely one of my all time favourites. The story, sound and stealth gameplay are no slouches either and it's a very easy game to fall into the world. I always like games where you can explore the protagonists home, so messing with blinds, the safe and the in game comedy lack of mirror in Jensen's apartment all help it feel lived in and more real.

Alan Wake
Despite being nearly a decade old Alan Wake still does one thing better than most games and that is atmosphere, and it has it in spades. Remedy deserve credit for making the mundane act of shining a flashlight on an enemy a tactical, thrilling experience.

Other games I really enjoyed: Alien Isolation, Virtua Fighter 5:Final Showdown, Max Payne 3, Spec Ops:The Line, Hotline Miami, Uncharted 4, Horizon:Zero Dawn, Far Cry 3, Sonic Mania, Street Fighter V.

Eh I felt Shadow of Tomb raider was a bit meh compared to rise; still good but story wasn't very captivating.
Imo Shadow was far better than Rise.
Shadow brought booby traps , focus on exploration and underwater swimming that I missed in Rise.

I will expand it tomorrow but quick list, no order
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Red Dead Redemption Redemption / 2
- Shenmue III
- Yakuza 6 / 0
- Castlevania Lords of Shadow
- Metal Gear Rising
- VF5 Final Showdown
- KOF XIII

Imo Shadow was far better than Rise.
Shadow brought booby traps , focus on exploration and underwater swimming that I missed in Rise.
I played Rise first, then Tomb Rider and now I'm playing Shadow (2hs)

It's very early to say something, but I have the feeling that I will like more Rise, basically because I'm a bit tired of the Trinity stuff.

Still, a great trilogy with awesome gameplay and great graphics (the best of the gen with Gears 5 and RDR2 imo)

witcher 3 is my best game of the decade. only game ive ever bought dlc for. ( i look forward to playing witcher 2 on xbox360, soon)

biggest gaming disappointment of the last 10 years. easy, its mgs5.
I see you are a man of culture as well

We should make a list... Right?
With at least 2 votes:
Shenmue III 7
Witcher 3 6
Yakuza 0 6
The Last Of Us 4
The Last Guardian 3
RDR2 3
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown 3
Catherine 2
Spiderman 2
Persona 5 2
GTA 5 2
Rocket League 2
Life Is Strange 2
Titanfall 2
Yakuza 6 2

Last edited:
I think the game where i had the most fun in the whole play time was Nioh from 2017.
I played this game for over 700 hours on my PS4 and it was the first game where i achieved the platinum trophy
just because i played the game so much.

It was just perfect in my eyes. There was story, action, leveling, farming, forging, upgrading, weapon types, armor types ...
The game mechanics became deeper and deeper and deeper.
I couldnt stop playing it.
They didnt drop the support for this game after the original release, they patched it again and again,
every DLC came with a new NG+ difficulty, main missions, side missions, character skins and weapons.
Because of the Diablo 3 style loot and its random attributes, you could always find better equipment,
you can upgrade your main weapons by combining it with other high level weapons, same for armor ...
it was so addicting.

And then, if thats not enough, you can even learn some japanese history with it
because Team Ninja took real japanese history events and mixed it with japanese fantasy elements.
So of course there is fantasy like monsters, but a lot of the battles and characters are still inspired by real history
and the monsters are not just random things, all of them are from japanese folklore.
In 2017, i had absotuley no idea who Oda Nobunaga, Date Masamune or Ieyasu Tokugawa were,
i learned and searched for information about them because of the game Nioh.
And because i looked up a lot of the stuff, i understood more of the background information and easter eggs.
It took me over 400 or 500 hours of play time to finally understand who all of these characters and connections were.

So on top of the over 700 hours of fun, i also learned hours and hours of japanese history and folklore.
I love "simple gameplay games" like the Resident Evil 2 Remake or Monster Hunter World too
but Nioh really has a special place in my heart because it was a really deep and special experience.

Going beyond just Shenmue some games I enjoyed over the decade would be:

I). Batman Arkham City
II). Muramasa: The Demon Blade
III). Bayonetta I and II
IV). Virtua Fighter V: Final Showdown
V). Shin Megami Tensei: Persona IV Golden
VI). Metal Gear Solid Rising Revengence
VII). Mark of the Ninja
VIII). Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
IX). Vanquish
X). Ryu Ga Gotoku VI
XI). Final Fantasy XV
XII). Shin Megami Tensei IV
XIII). Biohazard II Remake
XIV). Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
XV). Nioh
XVI). Ace Combat VII: Skies Unknown
XVII). The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
XVIII). Gundam Extreme Versus
XIX). Devil May Cry V
XX). Pocket Monsters: Sun and Moon
XXI). Trouble Witches Neo!
XXII). Dragon Quest XI S
XXIII). Monster Hunter World: Ice Borne
XXIV). Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
XXV). Final Fantasy Dissida Duo Decim

You need to try man

It's a safe bet

Maybe Velen, the first part, it's a bit dense, bc it's a fucking swamp, but then Novigrad and Skellige are great. And the dlcs are pure magic, the best of the game.

Ok so I don't know how this happened but after posting on this thread shortly after midnight on 1st Jan about The Witcher 3 I tried getting into it AGAIN.

This time it worked. Wow guys. Just wow.

Shortly after I posted these messages I thought it was a good idea to try for a FIFTH time to get into it. Since then I have probably put around 100 hrs in it so far (the only game im playing - the only game I want to play in my spare time)

On main quest in game I am currently on Final Preparation, but have stopped it there to do some of the many tasks around the world map. I finished all the contracts, found all places of power and pretty much most of all the other markers (except for Toussaint where I haven't been to yet, and the new Heart Of Stone area in Velen) I have now started Heart Of Stone and had the epic battle with Olgierd by the burning manor which is probably the battle I have enjoyed most so far.

What else can I say? I KNEW I would like this game, but for some reason it took me 5 years and 5 attempts to get into it. I guess its never too late. And thanks to members posting on this thread and most of all yourself Sput, it was a safe bet, as you so rightly put it.

Thank you dude.

Now excuse me while I go play this 5 year old masterpiece because I am obviously very late to the party.... (But I'm always the last to leave...)

Shenmue 3 because I spent the whole decade waiting for it. :p

But other than that, probably Persona 5. I feel like I should pick one of the Yakuza games as well because of how dear the series is for me, but it's difficult to pick one above the others. Maybe Yakuza 0 for breaking the sequel formula and giving a different time period to play at.

Ok so I don't know how this happened but after posting on this thread shortly after midnight on 1st Jan about The Witcher 3 I tried getting into it AGAIN.

This time it worked. Wow guys. Just wow.

Shortly after I posted these messages I thought it was a good idea to try for a FIFTH time to get into it. Since then I have probably put around 100 hrs in it so far (the only game im playing - the only game I want to play in my spare time)

On main quest in game I am currently on Final Preparation, but have stopped it there to do some of the many tasks around the world map. I finished all the contracts, found all places of power and pretty much most of all the other markers (except for Toussaint where I haven't been to yet, and the new Heart Of Stone area in Velen) I have now started Heart Of Stone and had the epic battle with Olgierd by the burning manor which is probably the battle I have enjoyed most so far.

What else can I say? I KNEW I would like this game, but for some reason it took me 5 years and 5 attempts to get into it. I guess its never too late. And thanks to members posting on this thread and most of all yourself Sput, it was a safe bet, as you so rightly put it.

Thank you dude.

Now excuse me while I go play this 5 year old masterpiece because I am obviously very late to the party.... (But I'm always the last to leave...)

We told u dude, we fricking told you, it's a safe bet. Totally safe. I'm glad u entered to the club. Enjoy the first walkthrought, because it won't be the last.

Oh, the dlcs... Let me tell you mate, they are the best of the game. THE BEST. So get fricking ready.

We told u dude, we fricking told you, it's a safe bet. Totally safe. I'm glad u entered to the club. Enjoy the first walkthrought, because it won't be the last.

Oh, the dlcs... Let me tell you mate, they are the best of the game. THE BEST. So get fricking ready.

Hahaha YES! I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I am level 34 and playing heart of stone. All of a sudden the enemies got more difficult and give me more exp so should be at 40 in no time.

I will make sure to do the side quests and all DLC before I start the end of the main game because it gives me something to aim towards and look forward to.

The side quest Without a Trace was cool where you find the guy in the cellar all chopped up and realise the couple in the village are cannibals. It really reminded me of a little area in Fallout 3 where you find the little town full of cannibals, but you don't realise until you sneak around their basement while they are sleeping that they actually are cannibals.

This game for me is on that scale. The same scale of discovery and freedom as Morrowind, Fallout 3 and Skyrim that came before it. (I missed Oblivion out because the I was never able to get into it)

At least this will tide me over until FF7 Remake, Ori and TLOU2. Maybe even Cyberpunk. Although different, and I wasn't particularly interested in before, after The Witcher maybe I'll love Cyberpunk afterall.

This year will be crazy.

Edit: And regarding the amount of playthroughs, no matter how good a game is I RARELY playthrough twice. The only games I have ever gone back to in their time was Sonic, Streets of Rage, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, FF7, Shenmue 1 (and less so Shenmue 2) and Halo CE. Once is usually enough for me, especially with long games like The Witcher. Play it once, if it sticks with me the memories stay first time and forever. Thats how I know a game is good a few years down the line.

Last edited:
I will make sure to do the side quests and all DLC before I start the end of the main game because it gives me something to aim towards and look forward to.
Oh no no no, you should do the main game first. Then the dlcs.

You have the end of the game.
Then u have the end of Hearts of stone that it's no difference, u can make it after or before the main and it's alright.
And then u have the end of blood and wine, that it's the really end end end of it.

I mean, you actually can do the dlcs and then the game, but I feel like it's not the same, because something happens at the end of blood and wine. And it's like... lets say it makes more sense when you finished the main game. That's how they thought it when they make it.

Edit: And regarding the amount of playthroughs, no matter how good a game is I RARELY playthrough twice. The only games I have ever gone back to in their time was Sonic, Streets of Rage, Tomb Raider 1 and 2, FF7, Shenmue 1 (and less so Shenmue 2) and Halo CE. Once is usually enough for me, especially with long games like The Witcher. Play it once, if it sticks with me the memories stay first time and forever. Thats how I know a game is good a few years down the line.
Talk me in a few months :sneaky:

Oh no no no, you should do the main game first. Then the dlcs.

You have the end of the game.
Then u have the end of Hearts of stone that it's no difference, u can make it after or before the main and it's alright.
And then u have the end of blood and wine, that it's the really end end end of it.

I mean, you actually can do the dlcs and then the game, but I feel like it's not the same, because something happens at the end of blood and wine. And it's like... lets say it makes more sense when you finished the main game. That's how they thought it when they make it.

Talk me in a few months :sneaky:

Got it. I'll carry in with Hearts Of Stone, then finish main game, then go for Blood and Wine.

Back