DigitalDuck

Quack!
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue
XBL
DuckProgrammer
(link for those who don't know what Werewolf/Mafia is)

BACKGROUND

Iwao Hazuki is found dead one night, killed by one of the city's various gangs. The mayor of Yokosuka (does Yokosuka have a mayor? Well, it does now...) puts the city on lockdown and calls a meeting of all residents to determine who the gang members are. Residents will vote on who they think is guilty, and the person with the most votes will be summarily executed. Problem: the only people who know who the gang members are, are the gang members themselves.

GAMEPLAY

When the game starts, you'll be sent a PM containing your character and player role. The most common role is that of an ordinary person, and it'll look like this:

Miki.png

NAME: Miki Maeda
ALIGNMENT: Innocent
ROLE: None
TRAIT: None
DAY ACTION: During each day you can communicate with other residents and vote for someone to be executed.
NIGHT ACTION: You cannot perform actions during the night.
WIN CONDITION: You win if all threats to the city of Yokosuka are eliminated. You do not need to be alive to win.

There are two phases to the game: Day and Night.

In the day phase, everyone talks in the main thread. This is your chance to get to know your fellow residents and figure out their roles. Innocents should try and work out who is guilty, and convince other people they're right. Gang members should try to avoid the blame and make an innocent be accused instead. All communication should be done in public; private communication is against the rules during the day phase.

Before the day phase is up, residents should vote on who they want to be executed. The person with the most votes gets the chop, and will no longer be able to participate in the game. If there are multiple people with the highest number of votes, one of them will be chosen randomly. Note that "NO KILL" is also a valid vote. Refraining from voting will be considered as a "NO KILL" vote. You can change your vote at any time.

You should make your vote in bold, like this:

Vote Peter

In the night phase, talking in the main thread is banned. Only gang members may talk at all, and only in private to each other. Before the night phase is up, gang members should vote on who they want to kill, by sending me a private message. The same voting rules apply, only this time "NO KILL" is not a valid vote, and fellow gang members are exempt from being killed.

Players with special roles will also have actions to perform during each phase. If you have a special role you should send me a private message with the action you wish to take.

Day phases and night phases alternate until one faction wins. Innocents win when all threats are eliminated. Gang members win when they outnumber innocents and all other threats have been eliminated. If there are independent actors, they will have their own win condition, usually separate from the main factions.

Day phases take place from Monday to Thursday. Night phases take place from Friday to Sunday. This is to give everyone a chance to communicate with each other across timezones etc. If you do not post during a Day phase you will be assumed dead and removed from the game. I'll balance the game so that it lasts about two months, regardless of how many people are playing.

TIPS FOR BEGINNERS

Announcing your role, or suggesting everyone announce their role, is a very bad idea. If you are a gang member, you can claim to be a normal Innocent and have as much suspicion on you as on 2/3 of the other players, making you no less in danger than before. Meanwhile, anyone announcing a special role paints a target on themselves and will find themselves killed off very quickly before they're any use.

The Seer is one of the most powerful roles in the game; as such, it's in every rival faction's interest to single out this person and remove them. Dropping hints is usually bad, as they're more easily read by foes than friends.

Innocents will be trying to work out who the gang members are based on both what they say and what they do. As a gang member, you can throw them off your scent by doing something unexpected (like leaving the Seer alive after they've outed a gang member) to make them suspicious of others.

Remember that getting killed doesn't mean you lose - sometimes you might want to sacrifice yourself for the greater good, and some roles allow you to prevent more important people from getting killed by taking their place. It's a team game, so keep that in mind.

Furthermore, some roles actually require you to get killed in a certain way to win. These are rare and will only really come into effect if there are enough players, but it helps add to the fact that surviving and winning are not the same thing.

All players will be informed of which factions are in play before the game starts, along with a rough approximation of numbers (exact numbers will not be given).

ROLES

There are many roles available. Many of these roles will not appear - there are only a few special people in each game.

ROLE: Seer/Detective/Psychologist
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Any
ADDITIONAL ACTION: During each night you can target one player in the game to investigate. You will be told if they are Mad Angels (if Seer), Heavens (if Detective), or Independent (if Psychologist). No role or trait information will be gained.
If they have the Outsider trait, you will be told they are Mad Angels, Heavens, or Independent even though they are not.
If they have the Hidden trait, you will be told they are not Mad Angels, Heavens, or Independent even though they are.
If they have the Ascetic trait, or are protected from investigation due to use of another ability, you will be told that no information could be gained.

ROLE: Investigator
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Any except Innocent
ADDITIONAL ACTION: During each night you can target one player in the game to investigate. You will be told their role. No alignment or trait information will be gained, except those that are required from a specific role.
If they have the Ascetic trait, or are protected from investigation due to use of another ability, you will be told that no information could be gained.

ROLE: Bodyguard
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Any except Independent
ADDITIONAL ACTION: During each night you can target one player in the game to protect. If that player is targeted during the night, you will be killed in their place. If they are targeted by multiple factions, both you and your target will be killed.
If they have the Ascetic trait, or are unavailable to be protected due to use of another ability, they can still be killed. You will not be told if your protection is unsuccessful, although it will be obvious in the case of the target being killed.

ROLE: Lawyer
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Any except Independent
ADDITIONAL ACTION: During each day you can choose to cancel a given lynching and have "NO KILL" that day. A list of players you wish to not be executed should be sent in a private message to me during the day phase. This ability can only be used once, and comes with a downside - after saving someone, you lose not only the ability to cancel lynchings, but also the ability to vote in them.

ROLE: Vigilante
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Innocent
ADDITIONAL ACTION: During each even-numbered night you can target one player in the game to kill.

ROLE: Child
ADDITIONAL ACTION: During each night you can target one player in the game to stay with. If that player is a gang member, you will be killed. If that player is killed during the night, you will also be killed. However, any player attempting to target you during that night will have their action fail.

SPECIAL TRAITS

Some players may have special traits that modify how roles affect them.

TRAIT: Outsider
EFFECT: If investigated by a Seer, Detective, or Psychologist, they will be told you are Mad Angels, Heavens, or Independent respectively.

TRAIT: Hidden
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Any except Innocent
EFFECT: If investigated by a Seer, Detective, or Psychologist, they will be told you are not Mad Angels, not Heavens, or not Independent respectively.

TRAIT: Ascetic
POSSIBLE ALIGNMENT: Any
EFFECT: Role actions have no effect on you (except for lawyer's lynch cancelling and vigilante kills). Any player attempting to target you with a non-killing action will have their action fail.

RULES

{0}. The GM is always right, except when he’s not. If you have a question, PM me.
  1. All forum rules apply. I shouldn't have to say this, but there we are.
  2. If you violate any rules you'll find yourself modkilled.
  3. Only post in this thread if you are in the game and alive. Posting meaningful content after you are dead may result in a posthumous modkill. One “Bah” post is okay, but it cannot contain game-related information.
  4. Modkilled players will be changed to a Neutral Survivor. Modkilled players cannot win.
  5. Do not discuss the game on this or another site.
  6. Role PMs trump these rules if there is a conflict.
  7. Pretending to violate a rule counts the same as violating the rule.
  8. Be nice.
  9. If you have a win condition you can achieve, you have to play to it.
  10. Personal meta arguments are allowed, but do not use trust tells, as this is implicitly not playing to your win condition if you are not Innocent.
  11. Do not quote any private communication with me, including (and especially) your role PM. Paraphrasing is allowed.
  12. Do not use encryption, hidden text, or excessively small text.
  13. Do not edit or delete your posts. You can correct spelling/grammar/formatting etc., but the content of the post should not be changed.
  14. GM posts will be in tangerine. Do not use this or a similar colour in your posts.
  15. Votes and unvotes should be in bold.
  16. Votes in quote or spoiler tags will not be counted, as I'll assume that you're quoting a vote, not casting one.
  17. Pseudovotes are allowed and will not be counted. Barring that, if it looks like a vote and I know who it’s for, it’s a vote. If I do not understand who it’s for, I will treat it as an unvote.
  18. If you vote for someone not in the game, including myself, I will treat it as an unvote. You can try to vote for me, but I have an unlimited supply of Uno reverse cards.
  19. Unvotes are allowed but not necessary. Posting any vote or unvote automatically removes your previous vote.
  20. The objective of every faction is to be the only faction remaining, barring specific language saying otherwise in its role PMs.
  21. Lynches will occur at the end of the day phase. The person with the most votes will be killed off; in the case of a tie, someone will be killed at random.
  22. Voting for NO KILL is allowed only during the day phase.
  23. The day phase lasts from Monday to Thursday. The night phase lasts from Friday to Sunday.
  24. You are expected to post at least once a week.
  25. Intentional suicide is not allowed if it has no possible benefit for your faction.
  26. If a Night action is compulsive and no action is submitted, it will be performed on a random target.
  27. This is a semi-open setup. There will be no elements that are not otherwise mentioned.
  28. There are three potential factions in the game: Innocents, Mad Angels and Heavens. There may also be Independent players.
  29. All players will be informed of which factions are in play before the game starts.
  30. There may be any, all, or none of the following roles: Seer, Detective, Psychologist, Investigator, Bodyguard, Lawyer, Vigilante, Child. Details on these roles can be found above, or via PM.
  31. There may be any, all, or none of the following traits: Outsider, Hidden, Ascetic. Details on these traits can be found above, or via PM.
  32. This game begins on Night 0. No killing actions may be taken on Night 0, but all other Night actions may take place.

Last edited:
Players:
Shenmue
OldFarT
Jibby
Truck_1_0_1_
Jigen

Signups are open, post in the thread if you want to join. Remember that you'll be expected to be active at least weekly for a couple of months.

Last edited:
Two people so far, but we need more. I can guarantee fun, arguments, and Goro. Maybe not Goro.

If you're bowing out because you think it's too complicated, don't worry - it's really easy to pick up, and it'll only cost you a few minutes out of your day (if that's all you want to spend on it).

Oh, I totally missed this. Yeah, I'd like to play!

Back