Game UK

The article you linked is from march 2012...

However, there has been a new report about a week ago, saying that GAME is once again (/always) struggling, and they are also, once again, closing more stores.

i dont really care. like most highstreet stores, they act like they have a Monopoly (rip off prices) but the internet is killing them off.(y)

Game was good back in the day (late 90s to around 2003) when you could return a game you bought for a full refund.. i couldnt tell you the amount of times i completed a game then took it back for a full refund :devilish:

Game in the last few years have never been competitive or even helpful to me in any way. There's a lot of treasure potentially but the staff don't know or don't care. Wildly ineffective pricing on second hand stock...

Put it this way: If the staff say to you when you ask a question: "Your best bet is eBay" you know something's going wrong...

Same with CEX in the UK. Just not very helpful. Faint smell of body odour. A feeling of dread. They also don't take good care of their stock. Lots of unique games/packs/editions all just stay on a shelf with no sense. Collectors editions ragged to bits but the price remains the same. Everything. And I really do literally mean everything is dog eared.

Again if there was a feeling of being valued or understood. Some kind of communication between staff and the public to engage us in why they are worthy of time and money. Then maybe.

Oh and I don't go to Game to buy sweets and canned drinks. That's just dumb.

Good riddance to bad rubbish and I hope the staff that get laid off find themselves and their true value. Because they ain't much good at selling games (For the most part).

Apologies but closure seems the only logical solution....

Same with CEX in the UK...

Good riddance to bad rubbish..

apart from laying off the workers i agree with what your saying about Game. even the supermarkets are crap these days, ie sticking to there rrp (£49.99) for many months after release, even though online shops are selling the games nearly half the price, new.

i think Cex is a great place to buy dirt cheap last gen games and sell your new games for cash but i always feel awkward buying or selling there. your right my local store stinks as well lol (it does amaze me how you can buy last gen games for dirt cheap £1-3 at Cex, im of that age where growing up i would spend £5+ on a magazine just to get a demo disc)

Game in the last few years have never been competitive or even helpful to me in any way. There's a lot of treasure potentially but the staff don't know or don't care. Wildly ineffective pricing on second hand stock...

Put it this way: If the staff say to you when you ask a question: "Your best bet is eBay" you know something's going wrong...

Same with CEX in the UK. Just not very helpful. Faint smell of body odour. A feeling of dread. They also don't take good care of their stock. Lots of unique games/packs/editions all just stay on a shelf with no sense. Collectors editions ragged to bits but the price remains the same. Everything. And I really do literally mean everything is dog eared.

Again if there was a feeling of being valued or understood. Some kind of communication between staff and the public to engage us in why they are worthy of time and money. Then maybe.

Oh and I don't go to Game to buy sweets and canned drinks. That's just dumb.

Good riddance to bad rubbish and I hope the staff that get laid off find themselves and their true value. Because they ain't much good at selling games (For the most part).

Apologies but closure seems the only logical solution....

Regarding CEX, it's so weird that body odour seems to be a recurring theme in every store! I used to live on the other side of London and it was genuinely off-putting to go into a CEX store because the service took ages and the smell of unwashed goths used to clog my throat. Now, even 40 miles away at my local store, it's the exact same thing.

GAME, and most other video game stores will be long gone soon. I have owned a PS4 soon after it was released and the only game that I purchased physically was Spiderman.

Reactions: red
If CEX had better customer service I would likely be there most of the time. My local CEX is choc full of bargains in fairness. It's just all a bit scrappy and messy.

I appreciate it's a controversial opinion but I think some of the staff there need a wake up call. A laying off session would likely give them a kick up the backside they sorely need.

Example: -
Me, some time ago (I'm new to Wii U): "What Amiibos you got?"
CEX: "What Amiibos you want?"
Me: "Not sure yet. I'm new to it all and just wanted to see what the fuss was about really so not bothered which really, just whatever you got"
CEX: "Well if you don't know.... *Long pause* .... Here check out this catalog...."
Me: *Sigh* "Ok..."

Some time later...

Me: "Actually I've found one I really like the look of"
Cex: *casually looks over my choice* "Yeah... That's not in stock..."
Me: *points* "That one?"
Cex: "No"
Me: "That one?"
Cex: "No"
Me: "That one?"
Cex: "Fraid not"

This went on for a bit... And then...

Me: "So I noticed these Amiibos in your window over there. Can I buy those? They clearly have a price on them"

Cex: "Let me just check...."

Long journey to window and back again

Cex: "They are not a Amiibos"

Me: "I think they are. I'm pretty sure because they are of Mario and the like"

Cex: *Sigh* "Ok..."

Long journey to window... Slower this time... And back again...

....... You get the idea.......

Any more CEX horror stories? Lol

Any more CEX horror stories? Lol

the employees seem to be pretty terrible at cex.

not really a horror story but i did seem to upset the woman in my local cex. whilst serving me, this woman (she looked quite young) was pestering me with small talk (:rolleyes:) and asking me about what my favorite game was, she asked me several times.. i said "err.. i guess shenmue.." she got excited, talked a little about shenmue 3 (implying how its gonna be a flop), then back to shenmue 1 on the dreamcast.. all jolly and happy. then i blerted out, " you must of been 6 years old when it came out".. she sulkingly said "yeah.. but..i still remember it.."
:ROFLMAO: she wasnt interested in talking after that.

I don't blame em if they're on minimum wage tbh. If a company wants their employees to provide a better service, they pay more. If a consumer wants better service, they pay more. It's simple.

If they're on decent money though, yeah, sack the cunts.

Sucks that people are losing their jobs, but I can't say I feel any sorrow for the company itself. If they (nor any other struggling high street chain) are unable to compete with the vastly superior service offered by online shopping - cheaper prices, incalculable selection, one-day and on-release delivery options, headache-free returns, not having to wait in line, not having to deal with sales assistants ("would you like to sign up for our loyalty card?", "are there any games you would like to pre-order?", etc.), and so on - then they are going to fail against the alternative, and that is just how it is.

Whoever said "We are struggling with online sales - WAIT - I know! Let's bombard our dwindling customer base with benign questions that irritate. Everyone who comes to our store LOVES TO PRE-ORDER LINE THERE LIFE DEPENDED ON IT!" needs to be tied up and forced to pre-order everything in existence.

Does anyone remember when you could have a conversation about what you wanted and not be bombarded with idiocy?

Game is not the only store to do this though.

Be dynamic. Be unique. Be interesting. Or be gone...

Issues in GameStop today on article too they are trying to survive until next gen. I purchase physical but that is not enough to save GameStop as I do not purchase every physical game from them only when I am in the mood to do so or they have a preorder bonus that benefits me and to my liking.

Stubborn just fold already Amazon is toying with you. You release a buy 2 get 1 preowned with bare shitty games and hardly a catalog anyone knows in January especially when nothing seemed to be in stock... Amazon releases a but 2get 1 that is better than yours and also have games that are already on sale or discounted!

Unless it is a game I preordered brand new day one purchase and Amazon has no discount or a bonus I want I see no need to purchase there...

they changed the power reward pro membership I have one I renewed nov 2019.. You get 5$ coupon ever month that expires at the end of the month and you can use it on anything not just preowned games.. so the 10% off preowned games is gone. Should they not drop the price of their preowned games to reflect the price change?

yeah...

Last edited:
Back