Games you pretend never happened?

I often pretend Phantasy Star III never happened. To me the trilogy will always be 1, 2, and 4.

Also not the most terrible game but sorely disappointing is Zelda Skyward Sword. It especially is more forgettable being sandwiched between the superior entries of Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild.

Grandia Extreme and Grandia III.

Grandia Xtreme (with an "X" because 2002!) was such a weird little disappointment. It had a great battle system and was following two excellent RPGs in a series that had once been considered the best thing since Final Fantasy, and even had a neat voice cast (Dean Cain, Mark Hamill, and Lisa Loeb!), but it just felt like they had no ambition with it. Yeah, let's just take that beloved battle system and let people grind until the game is done. Great, send it off to the manufacturer!

Anything FFVII that was made after the original game. I don't accept anything post-FFVII (PS1) as part of the timeline/storyline. Infact, I think Advent Children, and Crisis Core are both equally awful. Square Enix have been a disaster since FFXII, and seem to have lost the ability to make a good FF game ever since. As for the remake, as a huge fan of the original masterpiece - I think we can all agree they are going to fuck this one up. Let the game be.

MGS4 - I have to agree with some of the other members. This one is a disaster. Kojima should have walked away after MGS3. The storyline might not have been finished, but MGS2 was a solid ending and there was no need for the fanfare/clusterfuck of a game that was the fourth installment. Sometimes sequels can tarnish the legacy of previous great games (*cough* FFVII *cough*) and this is no exception. I am not going to go into specifics right now, but the game was a steaming pile of dog turd, and this is coming from a huge fan. There were some good gameplay moments and cutscenes, but bringing every single character back in the franchise helped destroy some of the storyline elements of the previous titles. A really, really bad move from Kojima. And boy, did the reviews get this game wrong. 10/10.....you have got to be joking. It's a fucking mess.

I dont think I have a game I pretend doesn't exist.

Btw, I just want to mention I really love Final Fantasy X-2 despite the fact I have never completed it. I love the style and the insanity of its story and the level of density that it has, also the psuedo platforming is really fun. I do not really like the atb battle system as much as the first game though. I much prefer fully turned based.

Why did I never complete it if I love it so much, you may ask. Well, I have always tried to do a 100% or a near 100% run but the requirements to do so are out of this world. I always end up skipping dialogue or cutscenes which, you just cant do if you want 100%, then you have to do random things every time you are on the ship... anyway I feel that not doing 100% would be a disservice to the game and its essense so its in limbo... every few yeara I attempt to do it but always fuck it up. So yeah.

I often pretend Phantasy Star III never happened. To me the trilogy will always be 1, 2, and 4.

PSIII is my second favourite of the Quadrilogy and it is the 3rd best of the 4 as well; while differing a bit, lore-wise, from 2, it is an infinitely better game, with a better battle system (though the animations didn't get a bump), just as good story (LOVED the direction they went in, in this game) and what an incredible soundtrack! It is just so much more playable too, without some of the convoluted bits of 2 and without the stupidest boss battles, arguably in the history of RPGs.

I'm glad I played through 2, as the story wasn't bad, Nei = <3 and Rudolf is just a boss, but the amount of grinding I did, for it to all be for nought because of a stupid, "chance," and luck-based boss battle, has turned me off from EVER going back to the game, ever again.

Never played these, why are they considered so bad? I loved Grandia 2...

While I had noo problem with evolution on Dreamcast. Grandia Extreme was a dungeon crawler that I was not interested in yup a dungeon crawler. I saw the complaints before I picked up my preorder and got my money back. Grandia III I did buy and did not complete it was utterly horriblle. Maybe just maybe I will try it again if they put it on PSN for ps4 or even ps5 . But I could not get past the first hours of gameplay. Do you see any new grandia entries after III?

Edit: TBH people liked extreme some people actually liked it. But it did not signify death of the series nor did III. I keep forgetting about this but the original creator of game arts died in 2011 he also created the company g-mode. His brother can continue with the grandia franchise but I am not even sure game arts is that active. I believe the Lunar and Grandia series will be in limbo for a while. His brother has been CEO for a while now. I am guessing ever since he left. we lost a pioneer in the industry in 2011..

Last edited:
While I had noo problem with evolution on Dreamcast. Grandia Extreme was a dungeon crawler that I was not interested in yup a dungeon crawler. I saw the complaints before I picked up my preorder and got my money back. Grandia III I did buy and did not complete it was utterly horriblle.
Interesting. I'm not a fan of dungeon crawlers either but I did at least somewhat enjoy Evolution. I gotta check it out one day...

Evolutions are great, fun games, with 2 being the better game (from both story and game PsOV).

Lovely soundtracks too; Bandit's Trap is one of my favourite tunes of any Dreamcast Game.

King of Fighters XII. What a disaster that was, clearly wasn't finished. Roster was barren, online barely worked and it had almost no AI in whatever the heck they scrapped together for the single player mode (no boss either). Its basically an unfinished beta for the amazing KOF XIII.

Also, Dino Crisis 3... Dinosaurs on a space station should have been an amazing concept and its hit with one of the worst cameras in a game I've ever played. Killed the series as well, but maybe Capcom will give it another shot sooner or later (they've been on fire lately), just make sure any new DC game isn't numbered, so they can reboot the series and pretend 3 never happened, like the rest of us try to.

If you'd like, sure! Always can talk about Metal Gear. Discovered MGS a bit after Shenmue, but not far off; got really deep into them. The original trilogy, PW+GZ and the two original are such classics, the series still ranks in my top 3, despite Four+Five failing my standards and tastes (slightly lower than Shenmue and barely above Yakuza).

-Hitman: Absolution is a game I wanted to like, but damn, it's just impossible for me. Not only is it a bad Hitman game, it's a pretty bad stealth game.
-Postal 3
-Wolfenstein: The New Order
and especially Wolfenstein: The New Colossus. The Old Blood is pretty good, though.
-Serious Sam 2 and, frankly, Serious Sam 3 as well.
-Bioshock Infinite
-Civilisation: Beyond Earth
-Beyond Divinity
-Fallout 4
-Half-Life 2
(I seriously, really, honestly, truly hate this fuckin' game.)

Yeah, man, fuuuuuuck that game. Combat was unsatisfying thanks to weapon limit mixed with repetitive 'plasmids' (I'm blanking on Infinite's terminology for them right now, oops), the world was visually impressive, but otherwise less detailed and interesting than both Rapture and System Shock 2's Von Braun. Level design became really linear, just with some wide open spaces here and there to walk around in. Enemy design is less varied and fun than in Bioshock or System Shock. And the story... oh, God, the story... it's so bad. Not to mention literally nonsensical. The ending doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Even Ken Levine said he didn't understand quantum mechanics, so why he made a story that so heavily involved quantum mechanics is a mystery left to the ages.

Man, I can't stand Bioshock Infinite.

Yeah, man, fuuuuuuck that game. Combat was unsatisfying thanks to weapon limit mixed with repetitive 'plasmids' (I'm blanking on Infinite's terminology for them right now, oops), the world was visually impressive, but otherwise less detailed and interesting than both Rapture and System Shock 2's Von Braun. Level design became really linear, just with some wide open spaces here and there to walk around in. Enemy design is less varied and fun than in Bioshock or System Shock. And the story... oh, God, the story... it's so bad. Not to mention literally nonsensical. The ending doesn't make a damn bit of sense. Even Ken Levine said he didn't understand quantum mechanics, so why he made a story that so heavily involved quantum mechanics is a mystery left to the ages.

Man, I can't stand Bioshock Infinite.
Personally I loved it, the end was great (maybe I had to see a vid or two to finally reaaaally get it). You should give it another chance maybe.

Back