General RGG Discussion

Knowing RGG, they’re probably gonna shoehorn some half-assed, unskippable-until-after-the-intro-mission side story introducing these new mechanics, like how they did with the Majima construction and hostess missions in Kiwami 2. While I grew to like both of those eventually, none of their aspects were incorporated into the combat.

I’ve barely played Ishin, but I can understand some people being turned off by the inclusion of these fireball power things into the combat, even if they are totally optional. Yakuza wasn’t always the most immersive series, but what was there was enough. After Yakuza 7 basically broke all sense of immersion and went full-on video game (at least for me) with its crazy RPG antics, and Lost Judgement adopted some of those aspects in its combat, it makes sense for RGG to add some of that nonsense to Ishin.

* For the record, I liked both Yakuza 7 and Lost Judgement for what they were. But for me, they pale in comparison to previous entries in the series.

If I had never played Ishin! before, sure, I'd give this a whirl.

If this is indeed how it's gonna be, than I DEFINITELY am not purchasing it.

The West ruins too much...

I really hope "lad gaiden" will be like the old yakuza games, I didn't play 7, I won't play 8 and maybe not "ishin" too because I don't like the way the franchise has evolved, so gaiden is my last hope.

I really hope "lad gaiden" will be like the old yakuza games, I didn't play 7, I won't play 8 and maybe not "ishin" too because I don't like the way the franchise has evolved, so gaiden is my last hope.

I loathe turn based rpgs but I'm going to really try to make myself accept 7 and 8. I really can't believe they switched the gameplay mechanic that drastically I may be in the same boat as you.

I would give Yakuza 7 a shot, especially if you’re a fan of the series. Believe me, I don’t understand (and refuse to understand 😝) why turn-based RPGs are still a thing, given that real-time combat systems exist. So I was really hesitant at first too. And while I still wish this DRASTIC gameplay change-up was added to a spin-off series rather than a main-line entry (why couldn’t THIS be Yakuza Gaiden?) , I had a good enough time with Yakuza 7 for what it was. And honestly, the biggest problems I had with the game had nothing to do with the actual gameplay elements, but rather the presentation. And given that these same presentation issues worked their way into Lost Judgement too, my guess is that they’re here to stay. While these are minor issues, they were enough to dampen the experience for me a bit (I don’t have the patience to sit through Lost Judgement again).

That being said, I’ve beaten Yakuza 7 multiple times. I don’t think the story is told particularly well, and this was the first game in the series that got me thinking that a lot of side content isn’t always a good thing (a lot of it felt like bullshit to me, which I also felt about Lost Judgement). But I also think that’s a side effect of the series’ mainstream popularity now. Despite all that, I love the characters, the world, and the gameplay was fun enough for me to keep coming back to it.

I do think moving forward that RGG needs to focus themselves a bit more. Instead of trying to be a Jack-of-all-genres game and ultimately being a master of none, they should focus on fixing the issues that have plagued the series from day one and refining/expanding the systems they already have.

And that's why I call it Ryu ga Gotoku, as a series: much easier lol

BTW, for 7, whether you like the gameplay-style or not, it is the best game in the series by far, period. You can hate RPGs, but every element of the game is either the best or second best of all 18 games and it is a fantastic adventure (lol) with a rewarding experience from beginning to end.

The last 2 games by RGG Studio have been the 2 best in the series, so I'm excited for everything (NEW) that is coming out :D

BTW, for 7, whether you like the gameplay-style or not, it is the best game in the series by far, period. You can hate RPGs, but every element of the game is either the best or second best of all 18 games and it is a fantastic adventure (lol) with a rewarding experience from beginning to end.

The last 2 games by RGG Studio have been the 2 best in the series, so I'm excited for everything (NEW) that is coming out :D

I'll take your word for it Yakuza has become my second favorite game series behind Shenmue. I'd hate to miss out on games in the series.

I tried the game because it was free on gamepass and I hated it but everyone has their own opinion

Horses for courses, as they say.

I enjoy the usual Yakuz... sorry, *Like a Dragon* combat, but there are things about it that annoy me (button mashing to get up, stunlocks, etc). Whereas I found the switch to turn-based RPG in 7 quite refreshing and pretty glad they decided to keep it as more than a one-off goof.

I'm still playing Yakuza 7, I've reached the dreaded Chapter 12 roadblock after getting my ass handed to me from a notable boss. So I have resorted to training - Which basically requires you to go ahead with the Colosseum Challenges. I've already beat all 30 but still know I am under the leve lo the boss - I was 39 & now I am 47. Grinding normal enemies in this game has been a problem throughout, you just get pittance worth of experience - even when using the EXP Boost from Restaurants. So I guess I will just fight all th Colosseum battles and see if I gain gain any more of the bonus prizes before moving on.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game but it certainly has a few design flaws within its gameplay. Much like the Job system, I'm still not encouraged to switch jobs because doing so would dip my characters stats considerably! Still, I am enjoying it all complaints aside, it certainly feels a lot more fresh than Judgment which to me was just more of the same - And arguably worse in almost every aspect IMO.

My wife played the shit out of Yakuza 7 and had to tell me how the whole job system worked. But by the time I found out, I was already so far in the game that starting over with a new job and new stats was just out of the question for me. Also, I guess the type of gamer I am, I just tend to stick with the default “styles” as they are.

I’ve been playing through Judgement again. Just taking my time and trying to do everything. Regarding the combat system, it still bugs me how slow Yagami’s tiger style combo starts, no matter if you’re combat speed is fully upgraded. It starts with this 1-2 combo, then there’s a slight pause before the next punches. It’s almost like a rhythm thing. Playing this on Legendary, I’m almost always getting hit before even landing the third move, despite the input. This was fixed in Lost Judgement though.

Comparing this to the combat in Yakuza 6/Kiwami 2, I always found Judgement to be a bit stiff. It’s strange because Yagami is supposed to be way more agile and lighter on his feet compared to Kiryu, but also not as strong. Almost Jackie Chan-like. I saw a mod recently where Yagami had Kiryu’s move set from 6/Kiwami 2, and it just looked right. Obviously, this wouldn’t have been as drastic a change RGG was looking for when creating Judgement, but seeing Yagami recklessly punch and kick enemies Kiryu-style really was something to see.

Had similar issues with the job system and mainly stuck to Hero as there's actually not much incentive to switch once you've invested a few hours. I also didn't know about the construction job giving you the skill to open up new areas until very, very late...

I’ve been playing through Judgement again. Just taking my time and trying to do everything. Regarding the combat system, it still bugs me how slow Yagami’s tiger style combo starts, no matter if you’re combat speed is fully upgraded. It starts with this 1-2 combo, then there’s a slight pause before the next punches. It’s almost like a rhythm thing. Playing this on Legendary, I’m almost always getting hit before even landing the third move, despite the input. This was fixed in Lost Judgement though.
Playing Judgment for the first time via the PC release and thought the exact same thing. The combat starts stiff and sluggish in a way that just feels... wrong. Glad they fixed it in the sequel at least.

I tried the game because it was free on gamepass and I hated it but everyone has their own opinion

Not an opinion. You just don't like it. It's not even my top 4 favourite in the series and I deem it the best, so no bias from me either.

I'm still playing Yakuza 7, I've reached the dreaded Chapter 12 roadblock after getting my ass handed to me from a notable boss. So I have resorted to training - Which basically requires you to go ahead with the Colosseum Challenges. I've already beat all 30 but still know I am under the leve lo the boss - I was 39 & now I am 47. Grinding normal enemies in this game has been a problem throughout, you just get pittance worth of experience - even when using the EXP Boost from Restaurants. So I guess I will just fight all th Colosseum battles and see if I gain gain any more of the bonus prizes before moving on.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game but it certainly has a few design flaws within its gameplay. Much like the Job system, I'm still not encouraged to switch jobs because doing so would dip my characters stats considerably! Still, I am enjoying it all complaints aside, it certainly feels a lot more fresh than Judgment which to me was just more of the same - And arguably worse in almost every aspect IMO.
Had similar issues with the job system and mainly stuck to Hero as there's actually not much incentive to switch once you've invested a few hours. I also didn't know about the construction job giving you the skill to open up new areas until very, very late...

Playing Judgment for the first time via the PC release and thought the exact same thing. The combat starts stiff and sluggish in a way that just feels... wrong. Glad they fixed it in the sequel at least.

Not a flaw, not a design issue, etc.: you guys are just being stubborn :LOL: (seriously).

SERIOUSLY, switch to any job in one of the huge undergrounds, with just 2 characters. Any job.

By the time you finish the, "dungeon," once, you'll be at level 10 or so and more than high-enough to continue on.

It's an incentive to play the game more (as you don't NEED to switch jobs, as you've mentioned), not a design flaw.

My wife played the shit out of Yakuza 7 and had to tell me how the whole job system worked. But by the time I found out, I was already so far in the game that starting over with a new job and new stats was just out of the question for me. Also, I guess the type of gamer I am, I just tend to stick with the default “styles” as they are.

Comparing this to the combat in Yakuza 6/Kiwami 2, I always found Judgement to be a bit stiff. It’s strange because Yagami is supposed to be way more agile and lighter on his feet compared to Kiryu, but also not as strong. Almost Jackie Chan-like. I saw a mod recently where Yagami had Kiryu’s move set from 6/Kiwami 2, and it just looked right. Obviously, this wouldn’t have been as drastic a change RGG was looking for when creating Judgement, but seeing Yagami recklessly punch and kick enemies Kiryu-style really was something to see.
The last paragraph, is very interesting! I think all of the RGG games' first entry in a new system, is a tad clunky as you learn with the character.

THAT is not a wise gameplay choice, IMO.

One of my favorite things about the Yakuza games is they all so far take place on Kamarocho(hope I spelled that right). Even though I know the layout of the land for the most part somehow the developers always make it feel refreshing. There's always a newness to the environment. Every Yakuza game I've played so far I've put 100+ hours in and still haven't come close to 100%.

Back