General RGG Discussion

Agreed on keeping Yagami independent! Favorite RGGS game since Yakuza 4 and only second to Yakuza 2 (expecting Yakuza 0 to usurp either 2 or 4 when I finally play early next year)

I’ve had such an extreme up-and-down time playing Y7 the past few weeks. I’ve come the realization that the beat’em gameplay is what has really held the whole series together for me. I’m surprised I like the turn-based combat more than I expected, but that’s because I hate turn-based combat and will NEVER understand the appeal of it (but no disrespect whatsoever to the genre or it’s fans).

I found myself getting incredibly frustrated and annoyed with the typical series staples. I thought the side quests were boring and WAY too drawn out. I’ve complained multiple times about the ridiculous overuse of barely-animated in-game cutscenes, which are so absolutely fucking un-engaging that they may as well be all the codec conversations from MGS2.

What’s strange is that I’ve never had issues like this with any of the previous games (aside from Y5). This is how I came to the conclusion that it’s the base gameplay that’s the problem for me. I was hesitant at first, but then decided to give it a shot with an open mind. And the game is not bad at all. But man...the turn-based thing really just isn’t for me, and because of that, it’s like all the other minor things typical of the series I gave a pass to are huge annoyances for me in this game.

I’m really not trying to hate on the game or it’s new direction. As an overall game, I think it’s great. But just for me, as a diehard fan of the series, I’m honestly pretty sad to say that I don’t care for it.

Turn-based gameplay doesn't deter me as a whole but I get why it's not for many players. I do think it has distinct advantages for the series; for one, the ability to play as other characters without leaving the main protagonist is more fitting to the ensemble nature the series has taken on since Y4.

I think in future installments probably the way to go for the battles is for Sega to follow what was done with FF7 Remake. This would allow the beat em up aspect but also during it you can switch the characters on the field and also pull up a menu to do special abilities and/or summons. I have a feeling that's where it's headed or I hope at least. Either way, at this stage I want to play as other characters, but I absolutely don't want to go back to switching multiple protagonists like in Y4 and Y5.

^ This is exactly my thinking. I really enjoyed FFVII Remake, and the only reason I never played the original the entire way through back in the day was because of the turn-based stuff. Not to say that what’s in Y7 is bad, but I really do know now that it isn’t for me. If this series does continue in the full-on RPG direction, then I really would like to see it done more so in the style of the FFVII Remake.

The FF7 remake flimsy “turn based but not really” isn’t for me...same goes for other action RPGs like Xenoblade or Secret of Mana where spells or abilities are OP and positioning doesn’t matter. That and frankly I just think the Yakuza team is better at both action and turn based at this point than the current Square is.

Going forward I think it would be a shame to lose the action gameplay entirely but can understand that they want a break from it after so long and it’s not really that big of a genre shift when it’s still an RPG. I figure eventually they’ll try again with different characters and stories where the gameplay is suited to different types.

I'm really curious to see Yakuza 6. Will it be a new version of the port
with 60 fps (maybe not just on PC but on Series X?) and is the overall resolution going to be better?
If you compare the look of Yakuza 7 with Yakuza 6 on PS4, Yakuza 6 is a pretty blurry unstable looking game.

Good god, I'm gonna end up buying and playing through Yakuza 3 again on PC, aren't I? :D

Ah who am I kidding, I'm buying them all again on Steam. I've already got 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 on PC so I most well buy the rest on PC again next year. Just to see these games running above 60fps.

Finally got around to moving further with the story...at some point I had to just accept I can’t max everything AND finish the game within the year. :p

Got at least Saeko and Eri maxed on their jobs and got to chapter 9. So far with every character in the 80-85 level range I guess I’m a bit OP now until I get the others. At least I sh be prepared for the apparent difficulty spikes lol.

Watching WoolieVS go through Yakuza 0 for the first time, it’s interesting to compare a bit, even if the tones are wildly different.

Cane across a certain sidequest that surprised me with how much of a downer it was. I mean, there are sappy stuff throughout the series but many times it’s hard to take too seriously. But this one I’m kinda glad for the fact it wasn’t too overly melodramatic or goofy or had the other party members involved. Also got me thinking about what people really leave behind and what stays with us.

You know what? I haven't moved since Chapter 5....I've been too busy playing Mahjong and haven't moved on :D

I will get around to finishing it again, but honestly, after Platinuming the Japanese version earlier in the year I just haven't had the urge to get back to the main quest. So i've been playing a shit ton of Mahjong in game instead.

Damn my new found love for Mahjong.

I have not played 7 yet but as it is now an sale I might get digital ps4 version on psn. I am unsure what to think about the game yet to be honest. The new fighting system does not sound that nice I prefer the beat um up gameplay for sure. But I won't make a final judgment until I have played it. The rest of the game judging the trailers looks pretty fun.

I've jumped back on Yakuza 5 recently and I'm having a blast! I feel I haven't done much story wise but the Sidestories seem to be much more developed this time around - with multiple scenarios/steps within some missions. Usually I find them feeling slightly subpar from a production value sense but the ones in Yakuza 5 so far have seemed well written and enjoyable! Also the Ramen Store Mini-game was a joy - I'm not very co-ordinated but it was really fun to play.

I did feel like a goof though I gave 150k to the orphanage only to find my next SideStory involved giving them money for Xmas gifts! Couldn't say no to the little tykes and I had a gold plate to sell so I managed it fine.

Also, Impressed with the racing/taxi mini-games. Feels very unique and it's nice to jump into one of the later games of the series and still find fresh unique gameplay mechanics - I was fed up immediately when Kiwami 2 forced the cabaret club mini game from Y0. It's also fun to see them take the mechanics and do things different with them like having to wheel the food cart for the injured man.

After playing Yakuza 4 and the really long introduction of Y5, I wasn't sure if I would be able to get into it, but It's been possibly among the best I've played so far, really that impressed with it. See how it goes overall as Y4's campaign didn't flow very well when it came to having short chapters (Especially Kiryu's feeling oddly paced) with multiple characters. But I'm feeling very positive about Yakuza 5 and look forward to playing more :)

Last edited:
I’ve had such an extreme up-and-down time playing Y7 the past few weeks. I’ve come the realization that the beat’em gameplay is what has really held the whole series together for me. I’m surprised I like the turn-based combat more than I expected, but that’s because I hate turn-based combat and will NEVER understand the appeal of it (but no disrespect whatsoever to the genre or it’s fans).

I found myself getting incredibly frustrated and annoyed with the typical series staples. I thought the side quests were boring and WAY too drawn out. I’ve complained multiple times about the ridiculous overuse of barely-animated in-game cutscenes, which are so absolutely fucking un-engaging that they may as well be all the codec conversations from MGS2.

What’s strange is that I’ve never had issues like this with any of the previous games (aside from Y5). This is how I came to the conclusion that it’s the base gameplay that’s the problem for me. I was hesitant at first, but then decided to give it a shot with an open mind. And the game is not bad at all. But man...the turn-based thing really just isn’t for me, and because of that, it’s like all the other minor things typical of the series I gave a pass to are huge annoyances for me in this game.

I’m really not trying to hate on the game or it’s new direction. As an overall game, I think it’s great. But just for me, as a diehard fan of the series, I’m honestly pretty sad to say that I don’t care for it.
I'm not a Yakuza fan, but I fell in love with Judgment and ever since playing that game, I've been curious about the Yakuza games, but the lack of dub turned me off from them. But now that it seems like after Judgment, they are starting to dub the games, I was curious about 7, but just like you, turn based combat is a big nono for me.

I was on the fence and almost bought the game and just take a chance, but after reading this post, I have decided to save my money since I'm in the same shoes as you and the game isn't gonna be for me either, so I appreciate your input. I hope the developers aren't completely done with the old combat system and we get another title of the sort with a dub.

The chases in 3 and 4 are awful. I hated them, even though they improved in 4 and 5. I wasn't a fan of 3's story, but it was decent overall. Probably my least favorite of the series. I think all three are good games, though.

Back