General RGG Discussion

Even if influencers take the series off the rails, honestly I've been sort of tired o Yakuza since 5 anyway. Judgment switching up the story and main role massively helped revitalize my interest, but I definitely dont feel near the same lure and addiction to the games like i did 1-4. They were smart to go turn based in 7, honestly.

In the new Yakuza complete GOG bundle release,
they removed Toshihiro Nagoshis name from the credits of all 7 games ...

uhPain.png

I guess its because of some japanese policy / law whatever thing because technically this is a "brand new" release
on a new platform and Toshihiro Nagoshi doesnt work for RGG Studio / Sega anymore.
So they removed all of the names who arent working for RGG / Sega anymore,
even tho these people originally literally made these games.

Madness, but I can see that POV. If that's the case, then I retract the dicking around comment.

Still, the optics of it suck hard.

Yeah i mean, it simply comes across as a dick move. I mean ... he literally was the face of the franchise until he left.
I dont know ... then they should at least add something like "a big thank you to Toshihiro Nagoshi" or something like that
if they dont want to give him credit for a actual team position.

Didn't something similar happen with the Metroid Prime remaster/remake a few months ago where essentially nobody of its original team was credited?

Either way it's not a good look.

I wonder if the departure of Nagoshi will affect to the quality of the games. So far I have enjoyed a lot the Yakuza and Judgment games so I hope games won't be affected by this.

I'm really looking fordward to playing the new Yakuza Gaiden which is for me the real Yakuza despite all the good reviews Like a dragon 7 have received. I don't really like turn-based combat and that's a turn off for me, despite I'm sure I'd like the story.

I’m glad Kiryu’s fighting style from Y6 and Kiwami 2 will be returning in Gaiden. After the mixed response the combat from those two games received, I was worried that would be the last time we saw that style. Hell, even in Y7 Kiryu’s moves were a mix of his combat styles from Y5 and Y0.

I will most likely be staying away from that Agent fighting style in Gaiden though. A little too outlandish for my taste. And yes, I am very much aware that the series is outlandish to begin with, so no need to point that out to me.

The series is outlandish to begin with!

Seriously though, I'll definitely mess around with the Agent fighting style. It seems heavily inspired by Men in Black, but also the gadgets you can use in the recent Spider-Man games. Of course it's a bit over the top, but it should add some fun variation to the fighting mechanics. That said, I'll probably mostly stick to Kiryu's more traditional 'street fighting' style. It's just so raw and I love it.

I will most likely be staying away from that Agent fighting style in Gaiden though. A little too outlandish for my taste. And yes, I am very much aware that the series is outlandish to begin with, so no need to point that out to me.
Totally, In my opinion it looks a bit out of context from Yakuza saga. I really liked the variety of fighting styles in Yakuza 0 and I think I'll stick to the classic Yakuza style in this one.

I didn’t initially realize they were different styles in the trailer. Agent kinda just reminds me of Astral Chain lol. Given how silly and ott some in the past have been, like Majima straight up snapping necks, I don’t mind it.

Well, after Sega recruited the original english voice actor for Kiryu in Yakuza 7,
they now recruited the Youtuber YongYea as the voice actor for Kiryu in Gaiden (one of these "news" guys,
who basically just repeats gaming news articles as a Youtube video, including clickbait thumbnails)

I guess its another of these situations, where the company wants to recruit people
that match the ingame character in terms of country of origin
because YongYea is asian but the original voice actor Darryl Kurylo is white ...

Personally, i mean i dont play with english voices,
but i think this whole discussion about voice actors should voice
characters that match their skin color, country of origin and so on, is stupid.
Like ... a voice actor, ... voice actor. If thats your job, why does it matter if the guy in the recording studio
is black or white or asian or canadian or whatever. So if YongYea would have always been the voice, fine.
But why bring back the original voice, just to change it again in the next game.
Same thing happened to the character Ada Wong in Resident Evil 2 to 4 Remake.

I guess a korean american Youtuber is now the english voice of Kiryu Kazuma.
I guess I'm a total weirdo in that I think "representation" is dumb as hell (My mom is Egyptian and my dad is freaking Korean so I can say whatever the FUCK I want on this subject), but I still strongly prefer Asian characters to be voiced by Asians, white characters to be voiced by whites, etc. My issue with this casting is youtubers are almost entirely corny goobers that should never be allowed to act for anything, and I don't see any reason to believe this YongYea guy is any different.

That said... only psychos play with western dubs anyways. :p

Oh yeah, I forgot about YongYea…never mind about him being a complete shill for anything Kojima does, that’s entirely separate, even the cringey way he does his “news”. His voice is just irritating as hell and him voicing Kiryu of all characters I just can not see going over well. Especially since Kiryu’s original actor is just fine. Getting someone like Kson to play an original character is one thing, but this…no thanks.

The way some of these casting decisions get made, least as far as English goes, is beyond me. Keifer Sutherland phoned in a performance for someone who sounds nothing like Snake, Matt Mercer is good but just does not fit Ganondorf at all, never mind the rest of TotK’s cast still being bad. I don’t get it.

Back