General RGG Discussion

My experience with shipping at most any online retailer has been so spotty, I wager you might have paid extra for nothing anyway to be honest…no sense kicking yourself. But I understand. Had I opted to get this on ps4 I’d probably be in the same boat. Prefer physical copies but hard not to just get stuff more conveniently on pc now. In any case, I hope some miracle happens and it gets to you soon!

The english voices in the IW special trial are really something.
I wouldnt even say that YongYea's voice acting is way worse than the acting of all the other voice actors
but his voice simply doesnt fit a 56 year old Kiryu. Like its not even close.
It sounds like a 28 year old side story NPC is trying to sound really really cool.
And this could be a match for some characters but it absolutely does not work as the voice for Kiryu.
(they even used auto tune for his Kiryu karaoke songs)

Also the old english voice of Kiryu, Darryl Kurylo, tweeted that he is happy
that Kiryu is now being portrayed by a actor (YongYea) who more closely matches Kiryus culture.
??????????

YongYea is a korean american ... come on man.

Last edited:
In one of those behind-the-scenes videos RGG released for the Ishin “remake”, there’s a moment where the team is trying to add that Y3 character Mack into the game. You can see the director is confused as to why the team tried adding him in the game, saying something along the lines of simple fan-service or catering to overseas fans is fine, but it needs to make narrative/gameplay sense. If I remember correctly, he was then informed that it was a directive from Sega. Then he just kind of went like, “Oh…”.

Negativity and pessimism about the future of this series aside, I am enjoying Gaiden. I think all the Agent gameplay stuff (not necessarily the story angle) is nonsense, and a far cry from what I loved about the series. But I’m just glad it’s just an optional gameplay gimmick. Seeing all the changes in Gaiden has actually made me want to give Lost Judgement another shot, seeing as how those changes applied to an entirely “different” series would be an easier pill to swallow (as opposed to shoehorning random ideas into an established formula for the sake of “innovation”, rather than really just innovating and refining existing gameplay issues).

Did you order from Play-Asia too? Mine was shipped out on the 13th, but that tracking number they gave me doesn’t pull up anything. I’m hoping it gets here before I move in two weeks.

I’m in what I’m assuming is the middle of the final chapter of Gaiden. I was enjoying the game moderately enough, but so far, this final chapter has been knocking my socks off. Things were coming together like the first MCU Avengers movie (back when I actually enjoyed that bullshit). Even though I knew what was coming, I was still giddy watching it all happen. Agent nonsense aside, Gaiden is a wonderful tie-in to both Y6 and Y7, and it’s actually made me like Y7 a bit more.

The new playground of "Ryu ga Gotoku 8" is "Honolulu City, Hawaii".
A vast new stage, that is said to be more than three times the size of Isezaki Ijincho.

Did you order from Play-Asia too? Mine was shipped out on the 13th, but that tracking number they gave me doesn’t pull up anything. I’m hoping it gets here before I move in two weeks.

I’m in what I’m assuming is the middle of the final chapter of Gaiden. I was enjoying the game moderately enough, but so far, this final chapter has been knocking my socks off. Things were coming together like the first MCU Avengers movie (back when I actually enjoyed that bullshit). Even though I knew what was coming, I was still giddy watching it all happen. Agent nonsense aside, Gaiden is a wonderful tie-in to both Y6 and Y7, and it’s actually made me like Y7 a bit more.
Indeed, PA.

Here is my tracking (I think it stopped because it is an R number):

Nope! It didn't stop! lol Now, does that mean it is here locally or just in the country?

I finished the story roughly a week ago and have been on a side activity rampage since.
At this point I'm only a few trophies away from the Platinum, but there are a few obstacles in my way:

- The Amon fight. I find it pretty hard and couldn't respect myself if I finished it on EASY mode.
- Finding the last of the seven "Dragon Balls".
- Winning the last Pocket Circuit race that unlocks the back room/final rivals.

So, having finished most stuff in Gaiden, yesterday I finally decided to play the Infinite Wealth demo sections and kinda breezed through them not to spoil myself too much.

My thoughts:
- Gaiden is awesome. It somewhat feels like "Kiryu's greatest hits" in more than one way and despite the game being shorter it doesn't feel like they skimped on story nor side content. Some of the side-activities are incorporated in the main game to pad out the length a bit, but even if you're not into that kind of stuff I think it's streamlined enough to be enjoyable; it's a brawler and you actually do have to fight a LOT, which is great. The story gets very emotional at the end (which is what was already hinted at in promo material) and now more than ever I just hope Kiryu can somehow find a happy ending. On a technical level I was surprised by how much story cutscenes were in-engine and still looking good. Obviously not quite as good as the pre-rendered ones, but still an upgrade from previous entries. I actually like the Agent fighting style. Sure the gadgets are a bit out there, but as far as I'm concerned RGG always manages to make outlandish stuff work narratively and at the end of the day this is a videogame. Also, the melee portion of the Agent style actually has some legit moves in it. That said, I've been using Kiryu's brawler style probably 80% of the time. It's just the best.

- Infinite Wealth looks like it's going to be insane. I almost can't believe it's only a couple of months away at this point.

- As for my physical copy, it's still in transit. Definitely don't order from Play-Asia if you care about playing a game on release date. The more expensive shipping option will probably be much faster, but I suspect it still won't be anywhere near release date as they didn't even ship my copy until the 14th when the game was out for almost a week.

- The YongYea situation... yeah it's unfortunate. While I 100% stand behind (more accurate) representation, everything stands and falls with the talent actually delivering a strong performance. Going by the feedback so far it seems like his voice/performance just aren't anywhere near where they need to be for an important character like Kiryu. Though to be fair people were going to hate him no matter what. Going by the quality of their games, nobody is going to convince me that RGG has no integrity so this situation must have been caused by outside/corporate influences i.e. SEGA. I love SEGA, but it's clear their decision making is often flawed.

All of that said, lightning in a bottle exceptions aside, IMO English dubs are always awful and no English speaking VA could ever hope to sound even remotely close to Kuroda. I can respect people prefering English dubs over originals, it's just that we can never be friends 🙂 .

I think that pretty much sums up my initial thoughts after playing and reading up on comments here.

Great stuff! I didn't read the spoiler, but good to know on your thoughts, You.

Mine FINALLY came in this afternoon, so when I'm done work in an hour, putting my son to sleep and then going to start.

Again, a week behind is fine, but not 3: I've been chomping at the bit. lol

I've had to delete space on my storage for the first time :( But it was just 'mues I & II, which are already platinumed and I can just jump back in with a memory stick if need be (which I probably will do for 8, as I'm not getting a PS5 yet), since this will be my last PS4 game (I figure the next game in the series will be PS5 only, so I'll need to upgrade anyways).

Can't wait! :D

Alright! So just under 3 hours of gameplay, I am on chapter 2, already have 6 trophies and I'm having an absolute blast: did NOT expect to go back to Sotenbori so quickly (especially since the intro takes place in Roppongi: thought we'd be back in Kamurocho).

Plot is superb so far and when I saw Haruto walk in the hallway... I teared up, thinking of my son :') I think I know how things are going to end up in the end, but will keep my mouth shut in case I'm right and spoil stuff.

Shishido is instantly one of my favourite, "villains," in the series, BTW: Not sure why lol

Shishido has a bit of utter brutality to him that I feel like a lot of other Yakuza villains tend to lack in, great as many of them are. Without going into too much detail, I feel it’s kind of refreshing he sort of wears his heart on his sleeve, in a way.

It sucks that you had to wait as long as you did, but the reward is that you still have a lot of awesome moments ahead of you. Have a blast, man.
Will do! :D

Bumming around Chapter 2, have gotten 25 locker keys, about to go to Yotsudera Kaikan and have basically picked up everything that was on the street, I think.

So much playing golf again and just having a blast! Up to 9 trophies too, so progressing nicely: I know I am in store for a ton of things opening up this chapter (Castle, Akame requests, etc.), so I'm strapped in :D

Is the Amon fight really as frustrating as it seems and is it worth it to go down to Easy to fight him?

AWESOME to hear, Heartland: hopefully he has more scenes than just the first chapter :)

Last edited:
Regarding Amon, during my session yesterday I found out something that might be considered mild spoilers (not main story related):
The Amon fight that gave me trouble was actually just a team battle and not the real one. Once you win it, you unlock the "proper" Amon fight, which I won in three or four tries. The team battle is the one that took me like 10-20 tries lol. Don't go EASY mode, just make sure you have enough items with you and you'll figure him out.

I got my Yakuza Gaiden from Play Asia & Dai-yum:
ykgaiden-03.JPG
They weren't kidding about it not featuring a hint of English! Still, aslong as the in-game menus and subs in English are there I don't mind - I can't check yet as it is reserved for Christmas :p

Back