General RGG Discussion

Theres a new Kiryu Kazuma trailer for Infinite Wealth
but to be honest, i think its better to ignore it.

It has a lot of different little story snippets, with dialogue and characters about the past and whats going on
and its gonna hit different if you are seeing all of this for the first time in the actual game
without knowing anything from the trailers.

If you want the 100% surprise ride package, dont watch anything until the game comes out.

So didn't watch the full trailer, since it is in English, but just clicked randomly ahead... and fucking
Kaoru is there. God Damnit. Hopefully she is there for moral support and that's it, 'cause fuck her

I could probably look the other way if you skipped 4, but 5 and 6 are an absolute must imo.

I love these Yakuza games but man they take some effort to clear. I'm not 100% them just doing all substories and main story. Yakuza 3 is the first game I'm not going to finish all the substories. The batting cage substory is brutal cant beat it right now.

Absolutely flipped my shit lol, but beating Gaiden just further reinforced the Yumi stuff... what a phenomenal game, just absolutely crushed about Shishido, the moron.

So that final chapter was just bonkers from beginning to end and I loved it to death: great mix of fighting, exposition, music and plot: that final battle was something special and it harkened back to Aizawa's in 5.

That ending though... I have never blubbered at a game that much in my life, I looked like I had been crying for hours after I dried the last tear. Again, I just see my son in Haruto so much, in terms of looks and mannerisms: after raising my son for the past (almost!) 2 years, RGG Studios just got the baby characters' physicality down PERFECTLY.

I'm so glad that they put in the end scene, it has me anticipated for, not so much a happy ending for 8 (as we know it probably won't be), but we can tie up a big loose end in terms of Okinawa and the kids.

The team just did an absolutely amazing job with storytelling in those last few scenes though, I feel it is the best story sequence they have crafted for the series and this is even with the incredible job in 1's ending, Rikiya's death in 3 and the final shot of 6: these are powerful, moving scenes and they show the prowess of RGG Studios.

Will review it on Saturday, hopefully to be published on Gfaqs on Monday. I would give it a 9/10 as of now (as it IS a sidegame, so even though it was over 30 hours for me, the series usually boasts 100+ hour experiences), despite being the classic RGG experience from the getgo, it cannot compare to a more-comprehensive experience of the games above it.

Updated rankings!

7>Lost Judgement>5>3>Judge Eyes>0>6>Ishin!>Gaiden>Kiwami 2>Kurohyo 2: Ashura Hen>Kiwami>Hokuto ga Gotoku>Kenzan!>2>4>1>Kurohyo: Shinso>Dead Souls

Updated Favourites:

3>5>1/Kiwami>6>Gaiden>7>Lost Judgement>0>Ishin!>Judge Eyes>Kurohyo: Ashura Hen>Kenzan!>Hokuto ga Gotoku>Kurohyo: Shinso>4>Dead Souls>2/Kiwami 2

I am so looking forward to 8. Played about an hour of the demo and it seems superb thus far, but I know this is going be north than 100 hours (probably north of 150, for a full platinum, if they follow suit with past games).

Bring it on, cannot wait.

Last edited:
Kson said that the reason why the cabaret stuff in Gaiden is all live action,
is that RGG Studio simply didnt have enough time to create a 3D environment + 3D models of the girls
because the rest of the game was already about to be completed.

So this whole cabaret idea was more like a afterthought to give the game a little bit more depth and playtime
but they had to take the live action route because otherwise it wouldnt have worked out with the release date.
Thats why there are only these weird like background screenshots when you are supposed to be on a date with the girls.
They didnt have ingame models and they didnt have animations for the characters.

The girls had scripts for their lines but they were allowed to add lines and experiment with it.
Lots of scenes had to be filmed again and again because the staff had to make sure
that you couldnt see the underwear under their dresses.
Ksons hair still had blue highlights in it while filming, thats why they made a pinned up hairstyle to hide the blue highlights.

Thanks, You and thanks, for the tidbits, Tosh!

I preferred the Live Action to animated, like how 6 had Anri in Live Action, it changed it up and made it more engaging, I felt.

Kson looked MUCH better all subdued than all done up, IMO.

My wife was sitting next to me playing with her phone while Gaiden’s ending played. I tried so hard not to tear up, otherwise I wouldn’t hear the end of it from her 😂

But yeah, between Y6’s ending, this one, and what we can expect for Kiryu’s story in Y8, his character finale will be a hell of an emotional trilogy in itself.

I haven't gotten around to getting Ishin or the Man who erased his name yet. Ishin is on sale for $22 and Man who erased is like $50. I'm thinking about getting both what is everyone's opinions on both games. Are they worth it or should I just wait for Infinite Wealth?

I think the overall opinion about Gaiden here seems to be very very very good.
You just have to remember that its not really a full on content heavy main game.
Its more like the missing piece to Yakuza 7 and a prequel to 8.

Ishin is okay but sadly even tho its like a remake, its still limited to the PS3 era gameplay and hardware.
So you have loading times while entering buildings, fixed camera angles and fighting feels a bit clunky and stubborn.
It looks new but the gameplay is oldschool.
It has a very good amount of content but if you dont care about japanese history, feudal Japan and that kind of stuff,
the story is probably not going to be very entertaining.

Yeah, don’t go into Ishin expecting a “new” game. I didn’t and I was still frustrated/put off by it, and I even played the PS3 original. It was a beautiful game on PS3 and PS4, and I feel that if it were just a straight port to PS5 in the west (for $30 at most), I would’ve enjoyed it more. I’m thinking of giving it another chance though.

Gaiden is a completely different game from Infinite Wealth, so I would just go ahead and get it. That’s if you dig the RGG-style brawler combat.

I still prefer the look of the original Ishin. Its kind of the same thing as the Judgment Next Gen release
where they completely removed the yellow filter. And then it just looks like any other Yakuza game.
But the yellow filter was a great match for this dark detective noir story.
I think the original Ishin look suits the world / old Japan more than the modern Unreal Engine look.
Ishin Remake is actually the only RGG game where i dont like the look.
It doesnt even look like a official RGG Studio game.

Hit the nail on the head, Tosh: I always thought Ishin!'s PS3/PS4 looked better than Ishin!'s PS4/PS5 rerelease.

Yakuza 7 / Like A Dragon
sold 400k copies in Japan and 1.4 mil copies overseas

GB4c4mKaoAEB2VL.png

I mean thats not omega giga big overall but i think its fine for a niche (former extreme niche) series
that was about to vanish in the west with Yakuza 5 and then its also a full on turn based story RPG
and not a action game. I think Yakuza 6 hit about 1 mil players
and it was 50:50 between the japanese and overseas market? And Sega counted that as a success.

But with the classic japanese console playerbase going downhill
and the overseas market crowd rising, theres going to be that risk
of a weird timeline where the overseas market is growing way way way bigger than the original japanese market.
Like original Yakuza 1 & 2 sold like 1 mil copies in Japan. But now we are at the point where the overseas market
is the bigger part.
And then it will get interesting in terms of what are they going to do with that knowledge.
Will they still make these games for a japanese audience primarily
or will it tip over eventually?

Gaiden did some pretty decent numbers in Japan so far as well.

According to the Famitsu Sales Charts, in its first week the PS4 and PS5 versions were only slightly behind Super Mario Bros. Wonder, but combined comfortably outsold it.

At this point I think it sold ~150k copies in Japan.

If the sales ratio for Gaiden is similar to Like a Dragon 7, that would put current worldwide sales at around 700k.

It should be kept in mind, though, that Gaiden has no physical release outside of Asia and is available on GamePass which definitely puts a dent in Xbox sales - even if RGG got a nice check for it from Microsoft.

But then, I think 7 was also on PS+ and GamePass at some point?

As far as shifting markets go, I hope RGG/Sega understand that the Japanese setting is one of the series' main selling points for Western audiences. Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in the Hawaii setting for the upcoming release, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about Like a Dragon - Paris, down the line lol.

I hope they arent going with some kind of meme game series path
where Ichiban visits random cities all over the world in every new game.
And its just the same "funny because Ichiban doesnt speak the language" joke again and again
and he just randomly meets different kinds of mafia organisations in these countries.

I can already see meme trailers with a lost Ichiban wandering around New York like Kevin in Home Alone 2
or some Godfather scene with a Marlon Brando look alike NPC in the chair, speaking to someone
and then the camera turns around and hes talking to Ichiban.

I think that would probably completely erase the serious tone of the main stories and instead it would be just
OMG what did they do omg this is so funny and japanese.
Isnt Danny Trejo in Infinite Wealth? I dont know what to think of stuff like that.
Thats like casting Arnold Schwarzenegger and then he voices like this big but funny governor character
who saves Ichiban ... I hope it doesnt drift into this like meta level with the only purpose
to bait western players into the franchise.

If that is the case (which as extreme a perspective as it is, isn’t totally unlikely), then just give me Kiwami remakes of Y3-Y5. Then the new fans can have whatever the fuck the series is moving forward.

Yokoyama: If you wanted to clear only the main story of Infinite Wealth, it would take about 3-4 days without sleep. That means no sleep, no detours, and almost no side stories, so please enjoy the game bit by bit, without losing any sleep.

And then theres this whole other side content island on top of that.

Back