General RGG Discussion

The duo combat style with Kiryu works very well. Knock down two enemies with Ichiban,
then pick the red stance with Kiryu and you can knock them out both on the ground because he has two turns.
And its awesome that you get different attacks for every stance depending on where the enemy is
(outside of the circle, inside the circle, face away from the player ...)

Like even without using any special skills, you can do a lot of different things with just two people in the group.
Atmosphere is great, lots of things to do, the setup with Ichiban outside of Japan for the first time works very well.
Played it for about 15 hours and these 15 hours were great.

I'm reducing the overall score a bit because the frame rate clearly struggles from time to time
and maybe i'm remembering wrong but i feel like the Yokohama map / Lost Judgment
looked a bit better than the new Hawaii map in terms of visual quality?
Some of these NPCs in Hawaii have a very very dated look.

My bond with him is at 9 and he's at level 12: doing lots of grinding as well.

I think I'm up to 15 substories too, so chugging along nicely 🙂

And yes, I saw the title of her substory and couldn't stop laughing 😂

btw, the podcast radio stuff, how does this work for you guys?
Are you playing with japanese audio and english subtitles? Do you have english subtitles for these japanese radio podcasts?
Are you playing with english audio? Did they record english versions of these podcasts?

I'm playing with japanese audio and german text. But there are zero subtitles for these podcasts.
Its just the original japanese audio. So sadly i cant understand anything.

Same with Japanese audio and English text, unfortunately :hmm:

Thats kinda weird. That has to be a bug? If they never had the intention to translate these,
then why didnt they just remove the side mission that introduces the radio?
I have like four of these podcasts now and its completely useless.
If they cant make it work with subtitles showing up while walking around in the game world,
give us a option to show subtitles in the radio app menu.

I agree it is weird. Also, one of the shopkeeper in the mall says, Arigato Gosaimasu, instead of Thank you, so not sure if these are misses or intentional.

Anyways, I'm am at a high-enough level that I can fight the Newfaux Riche guys at the hotel AND the tough area, down the street from the fortune exchange and these fights give 500 exp+, so it has cut my grinding down significantly (for now, anyways, of course), especially if the Newfaux Riche call in a, "big man," adding more exp (these make the battles 700-800 exp!).

Don't want to leave chapter 3 yet until I get high-enough levels, now lol

But yeah, did I mention that this plot is phenomenal? Even the substories, I think this is the best game yet, in terms of the emotional connection to the substories; lots of positivity and universal truths in them.

Having an absolute blast playing this game, can't wait to pick up where I left off after my workout today! 😁

While there isn't a huge number of changes to the turn based combat, the effect of them has been substantial for my playthrough experience so far. Just the simple ability to ricochet the enemy off objects/walls or towards another enemy or ally is incredibly fun.

I agree it is weird. Also, one of the shopkeeper in the mall says, Arigato Gosaimasu, instead of Thank you, so not sure if these are misses or intentional.

There are a lot of editing errors in the german text version. Not translation errors
but in tons of text boxes it says "br" after a sentence, so a lot of missed / broken line breaks in the code

A lot of the sentences in the dating app are cut off in the german text version because the text is too long for the screen.

Y8’s presentation is a drastic improvement over Y7. The story is so much more engaging now, and sometimes it’s even a little hard to tell the difference between in-game cutscenes (which I’ve bitched about plenty of times with Y7) and the full-blown cutscenes. And all it takes is just a bit more animation and care.
Really pleased to hear this! Does that mean the games does not feature the visual novel style they presented into sidestorys with Lost Judgment & Yak7?

Also, one of the biggest problems I had withYak7 was that to switch jobs you had to start with the job at low stats - I was never encouraged to changed because if I did Mid-Late game the jobs level would be terrible. Does this game have a similar Leveling/Job structure?

Really pleased to hear this! Does that mean the games does not feature the visual novel style they presented into sidestorys with Lost Judgment & Yak7?

Also, one of the biggest problems I had withYak7 was that to switch jobs you had to start with the job at low stats - I was never encouraged to changed because if I did Mid-Late game the jobs level would be terrible. Does this game have a similar Leveling/Job structure?

There the three standard types of presentation in IW.
Fully voiced pre rendered videos, fully voiced in game scenes
and the text boxes with no voice acting.

There are still a lot of just text boxes with simple animations but at the same time, most of the side missions for example
have a fully voiced and animated beginning and ending part.
Some of them, the shorter ones that dont have multiple parts but instead its the beginning and ending
in one continuous sequence, are fully voice acted too.
I'm 22 hours in and so far the game doesnt have the Lost Judgment talking character portraits overlay style.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven’t run into any of those visual novel-style cutscenes yet. I honestly didn’t mind them too much in both Y7 and Lost Judgement, but only if they were used for side stories or, in Y7’s case, little inserts during battles. However, it makes absolutely no fucking sense to me why RGG would use that style to tell portions of the main story. I can’t remember if that was done in Y7, but that definitely happened in Lost Judgement. To me, it’s just lazy. If they have too much story to tell, then figure out how to be more economical with that shit.

As far as the rest of Y8’s presentation goes, the main story-related in-game (not pre-rendered) cutscenes are voiced and animated. And not that bullshit move-at-the-waist-only animation that Y7 tried to pass off as storytelling. Every game post-Judgement has been very good at this, except for Y7, and Y8 may be the best at it so far.

I do wish the side stories weren’t voiced though, and just kept as text boxes. It’s a weird thing to wish for, I know. But man, those side stories DRAG ON, which is a shame because the mini games that follow the introductory side-story rambling are fantastic. I had this issue with Y7 too, where not only do the voiced side-story scenes go on for too long, they’re barely animated. And it’s like, only the first scene and last scene of each side-story is animated and voiced. All the scenes in between are text only. I’ve found it incredibly inconsistent and just not very appealing at all. From what I remember, Y6 was pretty good at this, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for the rambling. It’s just a huge pet peeve of mine. It’s like, for ALL of the improvements the series has made to almost every other aspect of the games, I continue seeing these inconsistencies in the presentation and it’s like I’m banging my head against the wall.

However, it makes absolutely no fucking sense to me why RGG would use that style to tell portions of the main story. I can’t remember if that was done in Y7

I recall it was done for Saeko's flashback after we first meet her. I think I'm ok with that style for some flashbacks because it's stylistic then. I don't like it though when its for present cutscenes. Maybe it's like a "reshoot" type scenario where in the edit process they realize something is missing to explain a story element?

Yeah, I don't even notice it as an issue; good content is good content, whether we like it or not.

Just started Sujimon League and then fell asleep on my couch, so am going to focus on it tonight 😁

Kasuga is at level 25, the other 2 at 24, wow the map opens up!

I think those types of vignette/flashbacks are fine. Those feel more like a stylistic choice, which I respect.

It just feels with these latest entries, there’s a whole lot of dialogue that feels like padding. Add the poor and lazy presentation of that dialogue and you just have something that’s downright unappealing (regardless of how good the dialogue is). It’s really just Y7 and Lost Judgement where I found this the worst. Gaiden was very good in handling it, probably because it’s a much shorter game.

Back