General RGG Discussion

I'm 29 hours in, chapter 4. All characters level 23.
Something i really like about this game so far, is that nothing felt repetitive or boring.
Theres something new around every corner. Side missions, optional bosses, treasure chests,
friends, mini games, new shops, small loot, new enemies ... it just keeps on going with something new.
Sure, in the grand picture, it does have repetitive elements but because it has so many different things overall,
i didnt have a "i'm bored" feeling once. Its fun to explore the map.

Seconded, Tosh. It is just so fresh and different , outside of the core gameplay and when the gameplay is rock solid, well, that's how you do a proper sequel!

I'm still in chapter 4, just have to beat King to complete the Sujimon story (unless there is more after him) and then they're is just one, outstanding substory to be completed (Karen the chicken UFO chick) and I have completed everything up to this point in the story.

Kasuga (getting more used to calling him that than Ichiban, now lol) is at 28, Kiryu and, "Eric," are at 27 and I'm just having an absolute blast 😁

Can't wait to add Chitose to the party, hopefully tomorrow! 😁

Last edited:
It's funny to me that some characters they decide to have a completely different voice actor do the English lines and then some they let the Japanese voice actors speak it. Throws me off sometimes.

FINALLY got to Chapter 5. There's so much damn content, it may take me 2 months to finish this game.

The only negative thing so far, is the performance on PS5.
There are some spots, like the two big malls, where the frame rate drops down to 40-50 fps instead of 60
and it does not go back up until you leave the place.
There are also a couple of intersections and streets where the frame rate always drops down to maybe 50 fps,
which results in a lot of stuttering. Its always in the same spots, so i guess its some kind of bottleneck
where the game cant handle the zone in front of the player.

This did not happen in the Yakuza 7 / Lost Judgment PS5 versions.
And i can not fix it by locking the game to 30 fps in a resolution mode
because this game doesnt have a 30 fps resolution mode option.
Its not unplayable or anything but a PS4 game (visually) should be able to perform better than this.

Wait, Sriracha, they call him Eric in the English Dub?

I just called him that because I didn't realise that he had a first name until late in chapter 3 lol 😂

I refer to him in voice and head, as Tomizawa
🙂

And I expect to be playing this until almost April, unless I get a whack of free time, out of nowhere.

And Tosh, on PS4 (not Pro), there is intermittent slowdown around the Anaconda mall as well, but haven't experienced it anywhere else.

Game runs smoothly and solidly.

I just called him that because I didn't realise that he had a first name until late in chapter 3 lol 😂

🙂

And I expect to be playing this until almost April, unless I get a whack of free time, out of nowhere.

And Tosh, on PS4 (not Pro), there is intermittent slowdown around the Anaconda mall as well, but haven't experienced it anywhere else.

Game runs smoothly and solidly.

Does it run with 30 or 60 fps on the Pro? Probably 30 fps at a higher resolution?
The PS5 version probably runs at 1440p upscaled @ 60 fps
and the game has some trouble to hit that target.
The weird thing is, this even happened on the old Yokohama map in IW
even tho that did not happen in Yokohama in Y7 and Lost Judgment.

Even in the karaoke mini game there are some weird mini freezes where the frame rate
drops down to 0 for less than a second sometimes.

So i dont know whats going on there but it has some performance flaws on PS5.
There are some fps test videos on Youtube and you can see how the frame rate in the mall
is constantly stuck below 60 fps and some Xbox Series X users said
that even looking out to the ocean tanks the frame rate from 60 to 30 fps. Thats not good.

A patch was just released today I think. Notes say fixes to specific things, and then at the bottom they stated various stability fixes. So we’ll see how the performance is affected.

Yeah, I experienced heavy slowdown and even freezing at one point, then did the patch and all is much better... Weird stuff.

In chapter 5, 21 trophies down and the plot is still phenomenal. There's so much to do and I need more free time! Lol

I'm wondering about the Honolulu map size. Are the outlined districts that you can see right from the start
actually all of the districts you can go to or does it unlock more later?
Didnt they say the Honolulu map is three times the size of Ijincho Yokohama?
I feel like so far the Honolulu map is about the same size?
Not that its important to have the biggest map ever. But Ijincho Yokohama 3x as a statement seems a bit inflated?

🙂

I've actually been playing the Japanese dub but in scenes where an American character speaks English sometimes they have a different voice actor speak the lines versus whoever is the main VA when speaking Japanese. But there's also some characters they don't bother switching the actor so when they say English lines, there's a heavy accent.

39 hours in, still chapter 4. Basically the last like 20 hours all i did was side content.
All characters level 27. Two main bosses in the Sujimon story left.
Didnt look at the actual arena yet. I'm still enjoying everything there is in the game. (except the performance)
No signs of fatigue.

I'm in chapter 7, I think at 55 hours now, with Kasuga at 33 and everyone else at 32. I think I will start grinding in the haunt now, before continuing on.

This story is just absolutely phenomenal, almost harkening back to 1's plot in many ways (with a cutscene that alludes to that as well).

Yamai, while skeevy and weird, seems cool lol and he's written/performed quite well: call it a hunch, but I think he will join up with Kasuga and team at some point... However, whether or not he stays a good guy, I cannot predict lol.

Dondoko Island is done: that alone was at least 15 hours of my gameplay and while it was fun, I agree with what I've read that they should make it its own game in the future or add it as a DLC.

I'm off tomorrow, so after spending some time with the family for breakfast, will get back to it! 😁

Last edited:
One Sujimon boss left in the arena. This whole Sujimon thing is great.
I have three golden ones from random gacha, so most fights are pretty easy.

The only thing i dont understand, is the strength info.
I have some silver and bronze Sujimons that have like lets say 230 strength
and a 3 or 4 star attack. But then i have silver or bronze Sujimons that have 215 strength
and a 3 or 4 star attack and they do much more dmg in general than other ones with the same or less strength.
Some of these 4 star attacks are not stronger than some of the 2 star attacks.
(on all attacks, purple, blue, red)
I dont understand how the game calculates the dmg output?

I mean its not that important, the fights are not that difficult
but i dont understand what the important value is that indicates the overall dmg output?
Is it the strength, is it the bronze, silver, gold rarity, is it the amount of stars a attack has ... ?
Maybe i'm just stupid

I wouldn't worry about it, Tosh; just have level 50s that are slow and hit hard do your work in the last match and you'll be good.

Plus, Sodachi is somewhat fast AND hits hard, so having him in the party is always a good thing.

The fight against the three agents was way harder than the arena Sujimon boss fight.
My three group members barely survived these gun attacks.
I did the arena challenges after that fight and noticed that the game gives you a ton of
these special japanese gacha tickets + upgrade material for the strong Sujimons ...
well, i guess the player is supposed to get those way earlier than i did. I didnt need any of that anymore.
I had all of my silver and gold Sujimons from random basic gacha
and the like 4-5 japanese special Sujimon gacha tickets that you can find while following the Sujimon storyline.
But it worked so whatever.

Yeah, that seems like the only, "flaw," of the game thus far, in that one can progress through the Sujimon story without doing half of the features of the mini-game (so many Sujimon gifts, going completely unused 😔).

Oh well, it's done lol

I just beat Robo Michio in Hawaiian Haunt and... I never want to face him again, major PITA fight.

But, just under 61 hours in, Kasuga at level 45 and will grind to 50, before I head back to Japan).

I was too, but finished it finally on Sunday evening; was fun, but like all games of these types, once you've amassed enough funds to buy the world, I get no more satisfaction: onto the next.

I'm finally in Chapter 5 after 48 hours i think. Well, time to get all of the new friendship bingo cards.
I'm probably going to have like 60 hours playtime tomorrow and the job system is still not unlocked.
Then 15-30 hours of Dondoki Island? Ooof. Here we go

Back