Guizhang in Hong Kong

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
As we all know, at the end of the first Shenmue game Guizhang was meant to accompany you to Hong Kong. We also learn in Shenmue II that Joy has a connection with the Chen family. It makes one wonder what type of character dynamics we would have seen in Shenmue II if he had not sustained his injury from the steel beam being dropped on him by Chai. Imagine the interactions between Guizhang and Joy, Ren, Xiuying, or Shenhua.

So this thread is speculation about what you think would happen if Guizhang had managed to depart with Ryo to Hong Kong. I wonder about the conflicting stories on the purpose of the mirrors between Master Chen and Yuanda Zhu.

I think that Ren ocuppies the place of Guizhang in S2. In S1 Ryo "buddy" is Guizhang and in S2 and 3 is Ren.
About what you say, is interesting, surely Guizhang is more "alive" than Ryo and with him Ryo wouldn't have gone through so much trouble. Perhaps would be interesting too watch they allied with Ren, the 3 would be more stronger.

I don't know why, but I always had some ill-fated hope that we would have seen Guizhang in Shenmue II. Since he stood out as one of my favourite characters in the first game, I kept him in mind when going into the second. If I remember correctly, I guessed that Ryo would be in danger at some point and Guizhang would save him after secretly arriving at Hong Kong and being hot on Ryo's trail. In fact, Ryo did end up being in danger at the hands of Dou Niu but it was actually Xiuying Hong who saved him.

I guess in a sense you could say that Xiuying was Guizhang's spiritual successor, from the point of view of being a 'distant' guardian. A confrontation between Guizhang and Xiuying would be 'money' itself - lovers or rivals? That one could go either way.

I was actually thinking about this the other day- it makes you wonder how much would have been different. Would Gui Zhang automatically be granted an audience with Xiuying, given her and his father apparently know each other? This would have meant Ryo wouldn’t have been sent to learn about the Four Wude first, meaning that development of his character would be lost. And money may not have been as much of an issue, given that Chen and Gui Zhang presumably make a decent amount from their trading business- Gui Zhang may have even been able to get them rooms at the Grand Hotel!

I was actually thinking about this the other day- it makes you wonder how much would have been different. Would Gui Zhang automatically be granted an audience with Xiuying, given her and his father apparently know each other? This would have meant Ryo wouldn’t have been sent to learn about the Four Wude first, meaning that development of his character would be lost. And money may not have been as much of an issue, given that Chen and Gui Zhang presumably make a decent amount from their trading business- Gui Zhang may have even been able to get them rooms at the Grand Hotel!
If Ryo didn't train with Xiuying and she just gave them a lead with the Wullinshu, Ryo may not have learnt the lesson of focusing his mind to be as clear as a polished mirror, or mastered counter elbow assault and presumably Dou Niu would have killed him in Kowloon.

Back